Riding Shoes

trialsbikingnunn

On 17/04/2015 at 3:35 PM, isitafox said:

Also the Adidas slacklining shoes are worth a look, they've got the same stealth sole and are pretty robust. I've been wearing a pair for riding and as my day to day trainers for months and they're holding up well!

Also still got these! 

Got 5/10 Sleuth just recently. I was hoping that the Stealth marathon (not the S1 of the Freeriders) would hold a while longer. Went through 3 5/10 with the S1 sole in about 2 years which is rather expensive. (Went through more bikes in this time though. :D)

Edited by niconj

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a pair of 5.10 freerider for 2.5 years or so, and I don't think I ever had a problem with grip, both on trials and downhill bikes. And they are also super comfortable for me and quite light. A bit expensive, at least around where I live, but seriously these shoes are awesome! Totally a worthwhile investment, especially since they are good for any biking you do, while trials shoes probably aren't great for downhill/enduro

Do the freeriders have a different sole than other shoes? I have 510 dirtbags which I got for a steal ($39!), they were an old model...however the bottoms of the shoes wore out fairly quickly - so that the pins were in my feet...what I did was just switch pedals (well....bikes) so now no pins go in, I love how they look and how grippy they are... To replace it I can't find any good deals (should have bought 5 pairs!), wondering if the other shoes with stealth rubber are thicker/stronger?

@AndyT The dirtbags have the stealth marathon sole.

The rubber of the Freeriders is the stealth S1. I found it very grippy but it somehow didn't last very long. I've worn 3 pairs (Freeriders/Spitfire) with this sole and well... after 1/2 - 3/4 year they look like in the photo*. They are still grippy but with pins in your feet it doesn't really feel so good. 

I also kinda think that the rubber has changed even though still named the same. My first Spitfire (with the S1 sole) lasted more than a year riding trials AND mountain bike. The Freeriders with the same sole I got after those, I had to throw away after half a year of only riding trials. Could it be because of Adidas having bought 5/10?

I bought the Sleuth just recently and the Marathon sole is considerably harder than the S1 sole and a bit less grippy. Still enough but the first Spitfire I sometimes ride in are still grippier.

*Note that these are both Spitfires but with different soles. The dark ones are the first batch of Spitfires with S1 sole, the orange ones have the marathon sole which is supposed to be lasting longer.

p.s.: I started out riding with the Wellgo MG1 and have changed to Nukeproof Electron Evo just recently. These have way longer pins so the wear of the sole will be even faster I imagine.

IMG_20160511_090929.jpg

Edited by niconj

Shoes can still be solidly made without them being big, boxy bastards like the original FiveTens were.  The past few times I've ridden with Ali he's been wearing some sample FiveTens that are more like a pair of Vans than the original Freeriders, but despite them being worn loads they're still in really good condition and holding up fine.  If you've got access to the factories, construction techniques and materials that adidas have at their disposal, you can make a strong shoe without having to use more basic setups but just over-building them.  Super stiff shoes can do one...

• Like 1

I wasn't talking about the construction techniques but rather about the quality of the rubber used. My older spitfire with the first S1 sole lasted way longer than the newer ones with the "same" S1 sole. 

I have to admit that this is just comparing 3 different shoes and hardly representative. 

I really don't know why my 5/10 only last so little. It could be my feet... Having a look at the two soles I posted earlier, you can see that they are only really worn on certain spots. It may also be that I'm a beginner at trials and move my feet more on the pedal doing corrections than advanced riders... who knows....