Trialtech fork / Hope caliper / Try-all hub not lining up?

N.Wood

Hello fellow trialsters.

Just bought some Trialtech sport lite forks to go with my ancient mono trials caliper and try-all H front hub. I am using a Hope adaptor to bring the rotor size up to 200mm.

The forks are faced, the adaptor is brand new. I have just taken off a set of trialtech sports which were fine.

However, with everything bolted up tight and no spacers anywhere, the caliper is too far inboard and theres not a lot I can do about it.

Anyone had this problem before?

IMG_5521.jpg

IMG_5522.jpg

IMG_5520.jpg

You got any pictures dude? From my experience of is mount calipers I've had to shim it out to get the disk in the centre of the caliper. If it's the other way where it can't be shimmed, the machining a minute amount from the face of the adaptor may get round it. But it'll have to be flat or the caliper won't sit square

Simples. Push the pads all the way back into the caliper, then add a shim between the fork leg and the adaptor (both bolts) until the rotor is in the centre of the caliper, usually washers will do the trick. Then pump the lever until the pistons self centre again. That's all I did and mine worked with no trouble and no rubbing

Edited by bing

Only thing I could suggest is filing a bit from the inside of the adaptor to pull the caliper out slightly though it sounds a bit dodgy. I've got a post mount trialzone on mine and that sits pretty central in the PM-IS adaptor.

Yeah thats the plan for tomorrow. Don't have access to any milling machines (I'm not from the north ;)) so a file will have to do. Looks like taking about 1.5mm off will put it central.

If it doesn't work I'll just buy a new brake.

Shit, my bad I keep looking at that middle pic, the two don't really coincide with each other unless its lighting as the 2nd and last pic kind of clash with each other!

But yeah I get you, although wouldn't the fork come out at strange angle = pads not hitting square on = gash as brake.

Looking again it seems like although the whole lot is too far inboard, something is twisted as the rotor doesn't run straight through the caliper, with a bit of a gap between rotor and pad at the back and not much at the front.

Have I done gone twisted my caliper? It's not cracked, cleaned it all yesterday. Goddamn.

Thought I got over this snapping caliper business after switching to Hope. Maybe not.

Thought I'd never say this, but I'd have a bb7 any day now, after having one on my new 24 and its brutal. Better than a saint. It just works with no messing about. Cba messing with hydraulics anymore

Looking again it seems like although the whole lot is too far inboard, something is twisted as the rotor doesn't run straight through the caliper, with a bit of a gap between rotor and pad at the back and not much at the front.

Have I done gone twisted my caliper? It's not cracked, cleaned it all yesterday. Goddamn.

Thought I got over this snapping caliper business after switching to Hope. Maybe not.

Could it be the fork mount is welded incorrectly? Had a few forks like when I used to run a disc, Joe McGrew's Bonz post mount forks needed modding to get his post mount Hope to fit and to allow the rotor bolts to clear.

Yeah I've had the problem before using the same +20mm adaptors, they can sometimes set the caliper out of line. If you have a spare 180mm rotor try that and see if the problem still occurs.

• Like 1

Thought I'd never say this, but I'd have a bb7 any day now, after having one on my new 24 and its brutal. Better than a saint. It just works with no messing about. Cba messing with hydraulics anymore

Not really a dig Dan but you seem to rant and rave about whatever part you own at the time.

In theory:

If it fits with no adaptor and a 180mm disc - it's the adaptor.

If it fits on another pair of forks with the adaptor - it's the fork disc mount.

If it doesn't fit either - it's the caliper.

If you can be bothered to try all the options, then at least you know if you need to send the forks back.