Sidehops - Do you pull the front brake before you go up?

dann2707

Do you pull it?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you pull it?

Simple question really.

I've been told that you get more power if you don't pull the front brake as you've got more contact on the bars. Just wondering if there's any truth to it and i'll find it easier if I stop pulling the front brake.

Thanks

Try it and see I guess... I can't sidehop for shit but if the thing I'm hopping to is uphill or flat I don't use a front brake, if it's sloping downhill I will use the brake to get the back end nice and high.

Gotta hold the front brake for when your front tyre lands on like sideways like:

NYHi4qf.jpg

Ben John Hymes (spelling?) never covers his front brake on shit and his style is proper f**king sick, but he lands his sidehops dead on the top of the wall and not on the side like a newb

About the more contact on bars bit, you keep the finger on the lever anyway don't you so it wouldn't increase contact?

That's what I thought. I never take the finger off my brake. I can't even do things right when not having a finger on the front brake.

That's what I thought. I never take the finger off my brake. I can't even do things right when not having a finger on the front brake.

I'm pretty sure when gapping I used to hold the front brake as I was tensing, if not still always had my finger on the lever. Do it with any bike now its just a habit.

Yeah I do, I had a period where I had no front brake and it was weird but felt more powerful in a way.

It kinda did. As I started w/ trials not so long ago, I didn't know whether to have my finger on the front brake or not so I just didn't put it there. Then I saw people having their fingers on the FB and adjusted accordingly. It certainly felt less powerful back then. Now, whenever I try to grab the bar with all my fingers, it feels weird and less powerful. I guess it has to do w/ conditioning and the brain and what feels comfortable meaning: comfort = power.

p.s.: I also have to push the "I can't sidehop for shit" button but then again, I would need a button for "I can't do anything really".

Edited by niconj

Ben John Hynes never covers his front brake on shit and his style is proper f**king sick, but he lands his sidehops dead on the top of the wall and not on the side like a newb

Why thank you :)

But yeah as said. I like to be able to roll if I need to when I land. No need for a front brake on unless you're landing like George the mad b*****d haha

• Like 1

Usually pull the brake, just before preload to let the wheel spin backwards a bit. Looks cool. If we're not talking about extreme scenarios and weird obstacles I guess there's going to be virtually no difference whether you go up with a locked front wheel or not.

Why thank you :)

But yeah as said. I like to be able to roll if I need to when I land. No need for a front brake on unless you're landing like George the mad b*****d haha

Haha, I noticed at barrow the other weekend you only pull the front brake when actually using it, not sure how when the lever blade flops about like a dead fish :P

That picture is Jamie Moxon for clarification everyone B-) not me