Army Reserves

Hotchy

Hey, so I'm thinking about joining the reserves when I turn 18 next month. Not because I think I'm "'ard" but because there's military background on my dads side of the family. And everyone who's been in the military have told me its the best time they've ever had. And its always been something I've been kind of interested in. And because I could really use the money.

Reason its the reserves I want to join rather than the regular army is because as of September I'll be starting uni, and don't want to pack in my education.

Was just wondering if anyone on here was part of the reserves or regulars and could tell me anything about it

Cheers guys!

The other option would be to join your local uni corps/URNU/UAS and do it through the uni. Fits in a little better with the course you'll be doing and will give you just as much if not more useful time if you decided to pursue a career in the forces after uni (Y)

This.

I lost a good friend the the Uni Army core. Not because he died, but becuase he was having so much fun playing war with those guys. Plenty of drinking, shagging and weekend trips away. He went on loads of free ski trips and all that too.

I was looking at going to Welbeck DSFC after leaving school, and then on to uni after that to do officer regiment training at uni on a UAS course for four years, which was very, very heavily subsidised.

Only problem with it was that it was a minimum of seven years service after two years at Welbeck and four at uni. At fifteen I wasn't really prepared to pass up thirteen years of my life to it.

I say go for it, two years down the line and I regret no going for it. I sometimes wonder how different my life would be if I said yes.

I properly want to go for it, and I think I will, if I can. Only problem that might occur is that I have a heart murmur, and I know I definitely can't join the regulars with that, I'm not sure about the reserves though.

Cheers for all the advice guys

I nearly joined the army, a collapsed lung stopped me. However looking back I'm so thankful that it did.

I have quite a few mates and family in the army and the majority of them absolutely hate it. I guess it's the same with any job though, it is what you make it. If you put in the effort and hard work I'm sure that in the long term it becomes more rewarding and gives yourself an easier ride.

I'd say think long and hard about it and don't take the promotional material too seriously. As previously said it's a big commitment and something I don't think I'd have gone through with me.

On the other hand, it's better to try and not like it than spending the rest of your life wandering 'what if'.

"what if"

As I previously said, it's one hell of a commitment and at times I still wonder where I'd be in life if I took it but in other ways I'm happy I didn't because hearing stories from friends it takes away a huge part of your freedom.

I'm not sure if I regret it or not