Keto and no sugar diet

Joe O'Connor

So my girlfriend and I have decided to drop all sugar out of our diet, as well as starting a serious keto diet.

After constantly feeling fat, worn out, tired and average we feel like its a positive thing to embrace. Both for our current health and or future health.

We are aiming for a 21 day detox sorta thing and then continue from there, for those three weeks it will be pretty full on and from then on we will tweak it to what suits.

So starting tomorrow we are going to take this challenge on.

Any suggestions, advice or experience would be gladly appreciated. I really don't want to be stuck without energy to be able to work and to ride, its just starting to get into warmer weather in New Zealand and I want to get fit and improve.

Any of you lot done the same or something similar?

Would be cool to have a discussion here if there isn't already a similar one in existence. I would also be willing to update people on the progress if anyone is interested?

Joe

P.S I pretty much use this forum for life and tech advice..... Hopefully I can come here to actually talk more about trials again hahaha

Cutting all sugar from your diet and taking diet pills/ ketones isn't necessary.

Cut out chocolate, crisps, sweets and carbs. Only drink water (aim for at least 2L of water a day) you'll notice a different in fitness within about a week. Exercise at least an hour a day (jogging, rowing etc) and try a bit of xc riding.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

i don't get the cutting out carbs thing if your gunna be doing exercise and getting fitter, starving yourself of things is gonna become adverse to your well-being. cut out junk food, eat more fruit and veg, or eat predominantly vegetarian, make meat a treat, so have proper awesome meat based meals occasionally, compared to eating shit cuts and processed meats frequently...

• Like 1

True true. Doing it for 21 days is more of a discipline. We always talk about cutting crap out and then three days later buy something nasty haha.

So a strict 21 day detox will help us build a habit of eating healthy and to push out all of the sugar from our systems.

i don't get the cutting out carbs thing if your gunna be doing exercise and getting fitter, starving yourself of things is gonna become adverse to your well-being. cut out junk food, eat more fruit and veg, or eat predominantly vegetarian, make meat a treat, so have proper awesome meat based meals occasionally, compared to eating shit cuts and processed meats frequently...

It would be more focused at cutting out unnecessary carbs, mainly bread and that sort of thing. I've had a huge amount of friends change their lives around from going zero carb, one guy loosing over 85kg.

Eating mostly vegetarian is an interesting idea though. I have always wanted to try doing that to see how it would help but I have never known what to replace meats with to get enough iron and whatnot. Im guessing things like broccoli?

Like I said, its all about developing a habit of eating healthy and if we maintain a very strict diet at home it will make us less likely to buy fast food.

It would be more focused at cutting out unnecessary carbs, mainly bread and that sort of thing. I've had a huge amount of friends change their lives around from going zero carb, one guy loosing over 85kg.

Eating mostly vegetarian is an interesting idea though. I have always wanted to try doing that to see how it would help but I have never known what to replace meats with to get enough iron and whatnot. Im guessing things like broccoli?

Like I said, its all about developing a habit of eating healthy and if we maintain a very strict diet at home it will make us less likely to buy fast food.

your mate lost 85kg, any kind of diet and lifestyle change would have had a dramatic effect on him if he has that much to loose.

nuts, beans, whole grains, dark leafed veg (spinach) provide plenty of iron, but you don't have to go full veggie.. i liked eating veggie cause you can can have a large meal that's relatively low in calories or fats. and it's dirt cheap. buy a good few recipe books to avoid repetition.

don't be to strict you'll start to resent it all, have a good day of cardio and have really awesome 'cheat' meals; expensive cuts of meat etc...

Gonna go against the grain and say drastic changes like this are not bad at all.

However i wouldn't cut carbs out for more than 21 days even though your body can live without you will fall into a downward spiral. If your taking it seriously i would cycle carbs on and off after the 21 days starting at 120% of the recommended allowance.This keeps lepton (think that's the name) levels high which essentially keeps your metabolism going. Cutting carbs out reduces this, its also the reason alot of low/no carb diets are limited, you will reach a low body fat but plateu and loose no more. You will also be sooo low on energy by this point people usually binge back to square one. Also ignore RDA they are not what you should be following.

Also alot have said eat low fat. NO! You NEED fat it is the main source of energy on a diet like this. You should be eating more fat than carbs all the way throughout this diet/lifestyle. Fat is used to transport vitamins etc through blood to the muscles without fat you can't and your muscles and body will suffer malnutrition. Going to contradict mynself here and say DO cut out transfat and hydrogenated fat, these are what give fat a bad name but people see fat as one big thing. These fats can also cause all kinds of havoc its even suggested that transfats have links to various types of cancer!

Cut out hydrogenated fats and transfats but eat more saturated and un saturated fats!

Protein, your diet should consist mainly of protein! Your body needs protien for everything its not just muscles but everything, your hair, skin, fingernails and best of all no matter how much your eat it will not make you fat! Excess protien is dispersed in urine, dead skin, faeces etc not bodily fat!

Not particularly tondo with anything but eat foods like leafy greens they will help keep satiety. As remember to eat in volume when you are on a diet such as this. Don't eat calorie dense foods!

Calories per gram.

4cal - per gram of protien

4cal - per gram of carbs

8cal - per gram of fat

7cal - per gram of alcohol (i think) but these aren't just calories they're a toxin that stops the body processing foods as energy so anything you eat ect especially sugar will just go on as fat!

Recommend daily allowance.

2 grams of protien per pound of body weight

1 gram of carbs per pound of body weight

1.4 grams of fat per pound of body weight

When cycling carbs if you do, you must change the above reducing carbs and adding more fat and protien.

Most stuff already been said.

I cut tea/ coffee out, but back to just 1 or 2 cups in morning. Maybe i'll cut it out alltogether again. Hell even if it can have benefits, it's expensive.

I haven't eaten sweets in years now. Those are pointless i don't care for them at all anymore. Sometimes someone will pull out something that i remember was nice but i'm still not overly fussed.

Chocolate i eat because it's given to me, then days after i will crave it. But resist then it goes. Chocolate is evil.

Giving up bread is okay if you can replace it. Bread is cheap and easy. Go wholegrain. I never look back and despise white.

I think once you learn the vegg way, meals can be really good. Add good meat if you can afford it. I discovered broccoli, it's easy goodness.

Salads again require skill. UK salads are joke, ask a european. They have delicious salads.

Fruit is high in sugar btw. But fruit is good for an active person.

Tiredness can come of lack of exercise, over sleeping, no regular sleep pattern.

Overall point being, you don't need to go ott with diets and stuff. Hell i'm a smoker and i'm fitter than a lot of the population, not defending smoking btw. Point being, regular exercise and a bit of okay eating will get you through the day.

My mum bought a Pot Noodle the other day. I was intrigued and ate it. After i felt like a bloated, ill, digusting fat pancake. gank.

Edited by eskimo

Gonna go against the grain and say drastic changes like this are not bad at all.

However i wouldn't cut carbs out for more than 21 days even though your body can live without you will fall into a downward spiral. If your taking it seriously i would cycle carbs on and off after the 21 days starting at 120% of the recommended allowance.This keeps lepton (think that's the name) levels high which essentially keeps your metabolism going. Cutting carbs out reduces this, its also the reason alot of low/no carb diets are limited, you will reach a low body fat but plateu and loose no more. You will also be sooo low on energy by this point people usually binge back to square one. Also ignore RDA they are not what you should be following.

Also alot have said eat low fat. NO! You NEED fat it is the main source of energy on a diet like this. You should be eating more fat than carbs all the way throughout this diet/lifestyle. Fat is used to transport vitamins etc through blood to the muscles without fat you can't and your muscles and body will suffer malnutrition. Going to contradict mynself here and say DO cut out transfat and hydrogenated fat, these are what give fat a bad name but people see fat as one big thing. These fats can also cause all kinds of havoc its even suggested that transfats have links to various types of cancer!

Cut out hydrogenated fats and transfats but eat more saturated and un saturated fats!

Protein, your diet should consist mainly of protein! Your body needs protien for everything its not just muscles but everything, your hair, skin, fingernails and best of all no matter how much your eat it will not make you fat! Excess protien is dispersed in urine, dead skin, faeces etc not bodily fat!

Not particularly tondo with anything but eat foods like leafy greens they will help keep satiety. As remember to eat in volume when you are on a diet such as this. Don't eat calorie dense foods!

Calories per gram.

4cal - per gram of protien

4cal - per gram of carbs

8cal - per gram of fat

7cal - per gram of alcohol (i think) but these aren't just calories they're a toxin that stops the body processing foods as energy so anything you eat ect especially sugar will just go on as fat!

Recommend daily allowance.

2 grams of protien per pound of body weight

1 gram of carbs per pound of body weight

1.4 grams of fat per pound of body weight

When cycling carbs if you do, you must change the above reducing carbs and adding more fat and protien.

Most stuff already been said.

I cut tea/ coffee out, but back to just 1 or 2 cups in morning. Maybe i'll cut it out alltogether again. Hell even if it can have benefits, it's expensive.

I haven't eaten sweets in years now. Those are pointless i don't care for them at all anymore. Sometimes someone will pull out something that i remember was nice but i'm still not overly fussed.

Chocolate i eat because it's given to me, then days after i will crave it. But resist then it goes. Chocolate is evil.

Giving up bread is okay if you can replace it. Bread is cheap and easy. Go wholegrain. I never look back and despise white.

I think once you learn the vegg way, meals can be really good. Add good meat if you can afford it. I discovered broccoli, it's easy goodness.

Salads again require skill. UK salads are joke, ask a european. They have delicious salads.

Fruit is high in sugar btw. But fruit is good for an active person.

Tiredness can come of lack of exercise, over sleeping, no regular sleep pattern.

Overall point being, you don't need to go ott with diets and stuff. Hell i'm a smoker and i'm fitter than a lot of the population, not defending smoking btw. Point being, regular exercise and a bit of okay eating will get you through the day.

My mum bought a Pot Noodle the other day. I was intrigued and ate it. After i felt like a bloated, ill, digusting fat pancake. gank.

Thanks for the load of info! Has very much helped to set in stone how I should be doing it.

Why cut out coffee and tea?

Seems like, high fat/protein and minimal carbs is the way to go. Which is a lot of what I thought would be the right way, I always thought that it would be silly to think that a big salad sandwich would be bad just off the fact it has bread on it. Im guessing Vogals and other heavy/dense breads are the way to go?

Also in terms of high protein veges to replace meats for dinner, what am I looking at? Broccoli for sure. Things like cabbage and asparagus? Ive never been able to get a decent meal out of lettuce, its too watery and what not.

That would be the hardest thing for me to figure out, that and suitable replacements for sauces that are less than good for you (Like sweet chilli sauce).

Also also, lunches.... Ive always struggled to get enough out of my lunches. I always end up with yoghurts to bulk them out, which are sugar loaded. Boiled eggs and nuts are seeming like a good idea to me?

I like what you said Dave Anscombe, that's very much what this is about. Not only to get fit and into shape, but also for my future health. Ive spent so long snacking on whatever I feel like and I am starting to get conscious of how its going to affect me in the long run

Again if your serious i would try and cut bread out and only use it as a must. Bread is not bad for you but again its not particularly good for you. If bread is a must there is one that is high in everything you need and low in what you don't. I will find it out again later for you.

For bread replacement especially for lunch time meals try these out!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/healthy-recipes-5-breadless-sandwiches.html

Bodybuilding.com is great for recipes and nutritional information especially the kind of things your after! Give it a look some of the desserts sound and the ones I've made are sooo tasty yet packed with all the nutrients you could need! Bet you'd never thought you hear that XD

Vegetables such as leafy greens, near all types of peas, broccoli and beans are all some of the highest in protien. Broccoli also reduces estrogen levels hence its so popular! Like nature's steroids ;)

Where you thinking of being vegetarian before you made this thread? If you were thats great! But if not eat meat! Being vegetarian is an ethical thing not a nutritional decision. Meat is a much better source of nutrition especially protien. Plant protien is not as complete as meat protien for human consumption. Plant protien is designed for a plants growth not ours and to be fair, we are nothing like plants so its not the optimum protien for us. Unlike plant protien, meat it is much more suited to us as it was designed to build muscles etc these meats will be high in leucine etc which are essential protiens. Not trying to put you off just helping you make the right decision for your means.

Mentioned in-complete protein in the previous bit and it probably sounds abit wtf :P you cannot gain a complete protien from food you consume thats why we eat a variety of food.

Protien is made up of amino acids which as a collective make protien. To have a complete protien you need all of these but that's not going to happen. Thats why we eat a range of food as say there are 5 amino acids making a complete protien. Your broccoli has 1 to 4 but an incomplete protien is useless so you can eat say a peice of beef and it now contains protien 5 you have a complete protien that your body can utilise. Its a lot more complicated than all of that but that's the tipnof the iceberg simplified. Also the only complete protien would bea supplement like whey protein etc.

Lunches eat high fibre foods and alot of leafy greens ect you will feel like you are eating alot when really your not as they're mainly water this keeps satiety whilst nutritioning well!

Get some quinoa (pronounced keenwah), it's a grain superfood and contains all the proteins you need, doesn't taste of much on its own but can be added to like couscous to give flavour and texture.

My favourite is onion and green pepper fried in a little oil, added to the cooked quinoa with some peas, mint concentrate and cubed feta cheese. Shred up a smoked mackerel and you have a very healthy, low fat high protein meal :)

Thanks for the load of info! Has very much helped to set in stone how I should be doing it.

Why cut out coffee and tea?

Seems like, high fat/protein and minimal carbs is the way to go. Which is a lot of what I thought would be the right way, I always thought that it would be silly to think that a big salad sandwich would be bad just off the fact it has bread on it. Im guessing Vogals and other heavy/dense breads are the way to go?

Also in terms of high protein veges to replace meats for dinner, what am I looking at? Broccoli for sure. Things like cabbage and asparagus? Ive never been able to get a decent meal out of lettuce, its too watery and what not.

That would be the hardest thing for me to figure out, that and suitable replacements for sauces that are less than good for you (Like sweet chilli sauce).

Also also, lunches.... Ive always struggled to get enough out of my lunches. I always end up with yoghurts to bulk them out, which are sugar loaded. Boiled eggs and nuts are seeming like a good idea to me?

I like what you said Dave Anscombe, that's very much what this is about. Not only to get fit and into shape, but also for my future health. Ive spent so long snacking on whatever I feel like and I am starting to get conscious of how its going to affect me in the long run

Caffeine is addictive, because of that it slowly becomes needed for normal function. Look at the stains it produces on cups too, ain't the best for your teeth. Ain't no harm in drinking it in small quantities, but tbf it's soo expensive will save you good money.

As said leafy dark greens. Cabbage, spinach off the top of my head. Don't be fooled into doing the whole raw/ blender style shit, it could do you more harm than good. Organic isn't necessary imo, a local vegg shop will probably be better who source local, + helps the environment and local economy if you're into that. Can't fault carrots, though they are hard to digest. All in the cooking, as i said previously it's a skill. I sure as hell have no idea about that, though.

Nuts are good. Look into the fat and protein levels. Walnuts and cashews are expensive as a heads up. But even peanuts, the cheap ones are good for you.

Often the body will continue to feel hungry if you haven't provided it with the correct nutrients. Also if your job is a manual one, you'll need plenty of carbs and sugar isn't too bad. A yoghurt isn't gonna kill you, but they're expensive anyway, so might as well drop them. 90 grams of sugar a day is the recommended amount and hard to hit if you don't touch sugary fruit.

Basically anything that has more than a few ingredients is probably not of ideal choice. The whole of the supermarket falls under that category pretty much. But i'm no expert and i like Burger King, so meh. Also stress could potentially be a bigger factor than eating fast food. Do what you gotta do.