Buyer insisting on NOT using PayPal

JD™

Evening all,

Recently sold a car over eBay. Requested payment by PayPal, in part because I'd just use the funds out of there for purchases I need to make. The buyer is asking to use bank transfer due to fees.

I'm pretty sure that as seller I would incur the fees, unless I asked for the payment as a gift or whatever. I don't think that going through PayPal actually protects me from a scam anymore than a bank transfer.

Basically, my question is whether there's a way this dude could be trying to scam me, because I can't get my head around any other reason for him to want to go a less safe way as buyer? Perhaps he's just not aware of the protection he'd get through PayPal.

I'd go for bank transfer over paypal if I were you mate. Paypal makes it far easier for him to scam you. Just claim that you never posted the car and they'll instantly refund it.

Also I'm sure they hold on to your money for 28 days now before letting you have it as well?

The way I see it is he doesn't want to send you the money as for goods and services HE will be charged but will be covered where as with a gift payment he has no comeback?

Surely bank transfer is safer as it's directly in your bank and there are no fees on both sides of things.

I know I never pay for a car on eBay due to the extortionate fees. He's probably thinking that or is completely traditional and "thinks paypal is dodgy" like my Dad does.

He has great feedback, which is something. I'm not asking him to pay as a gift, and I assumed the seller paid the fees. If that's not true then I can see why he's up for a bank transfer.

If it makes a difference, he's offering to pay a grand via the transfer, and the rest in cash on collection in 10 days or so.

As a seller you pay the fees if he doesn't send as gift. If he sends as gift neither you or him pay any fees but he has no buyer protection that way.

Bank transfer he could claim a chargeback from his bank but it's up to the banks to decide his claim. If he's doing it off ebay then he doesn't have much to go by on. As if you went through paypal there would at least be a record of money being sent.

Ask for cash? Safest bet for you really. Take the cash and run haha.

I'd say use your instincts if you think the dude seems a bit dodgy.

Sounds completely legitimate. If you use Paypal frequently as a seller, one day you'll have your Paypal funds suddenly frozen for a month or two when a dispute is opened by some scammy buyer in another continent without a shred of evidence to support his ridiculous accusation. For me that time came six months ago and cost me about £100 and loads of wasted time. Paypal's dispute ruling was obviously unjust and so I took them to the financial ombudsman and was eventually awarded a settlement of £150 from them. A lot of people have been robbed by Paypal and understandably avoid the service where possible.