Seat Angle

PMK

Not bashing or being a jerk. Having never raced BMX and seeing the street trials guys with seat angles set low in the rear, I am curious why.

Is it for looks, a performance gain, I honestly don't know and it seems seldom do the riders sit.

I set the seat angle flat on my bike so when I take a break it is more comfortable.

Thanks

PK

For me, I found tilting it back meant the rear corners of the seat were down nearer the frame so I didn't catch my shoes on them when doing manual-180s or jumping off mid-spin. I sit down on mine with no problems. When you're rolling along sitting down you're not sitting bolt upright but your lower back is actually curved forwards a bit. As a result it's always made more sense to me and has alway felt more comfortable for me to have it a click or two back as you're matching the angle of the seat to the angle you'll be sitting on it from.

• Like 1

It's much safer riding with the seat tilted WAY forward! My friend is a pro bmx rider and had his seat tilted back. He fell and slid back on the top tube and his tailbone went under the front of the seat. He had many injuries relating to the urinary system, and had to have many surgeries.. Tilt it forward..

It's much safer riding with the seat tilted WAY forward! My friend is a pro bmx rider and had his seat tilted back. He fell and slid back on the top tube and his tailbone went under the front of the seat. He had many injuries relating to the urinary system, and had to have many surgeries.. Tilt it forward..

Think about what's just below the tail bone. If he'd had his seat tilted forwad it could have been a WHOLE lot worse.

Tilting it up opens yourself up to more anal catastrophes, worst case scenario I know, but I think it also looks a bit shit, it looks shit on a bmx and even worse on a trials bike, personal preference.

Two of these look wrong, and one looks right...

post-1701-0-12293400-1421503105_thumb.jp

post-1701-0-39413400-1421503114_thumb.jp

post-1701-0-16934500-1421503122_thumb.jp

Edited by LEON

I opted for a Cult one personally, but Ali had one of the Fly ones (I'm not sure if it was 5mm padded or more) before and it was pretty good. Assuming you've got a frame that allows you to, you can get the post slammed a little further and because the 'guts' of the post are all embedded in the seat it means it looks a lot cleaner than a standard Pivotal setup. The Cult seat I've got with it's uncut post and seat post shim weighs less than a regular SL Pivotal seat so if you're bothered about weight it's a pretty good way to go too. I think Ali even went all baller and put a ProBolt Ti bolt in his too...