Disc brake bed in

Dman

Brake issues again. I'm currently in France on a riding trip, my brakes went to shit, really noisy, not working, I've had to buy new discs and pads, just set it all back up, cleaned everything, no signs of any leaks, got calipers and rotors aligned perfectly. 

Now I need to bed them in, is there a video or anything showing the best bedding in procedure?

Thanks

Bit of water on the pads/rotor, then pedal around on flat pulsing the brake on and off.  You don't need to get them hot (as that just increases the chances of them glazing which slows the whole process down), you're effectively just scrubbing the surface of the pads and rotors.  Repeat that a few times and you should be set.  You'll feel and hear them starting to work better.  You can clean them off with some clean kitchen towel or a clean rag if you want to, but I generally just do the water thing a couple of times and they're good to go.

• Like 2

On the old or new?  If it's the new, it's generally just the kind of cutting paste that the water and the pads/rotor form.  If it's the old one it could be a similar-ish substance, but if you've contaminated the brake with anything it might be that getting in the mix as well.  Equally, if that was with the old one it could be that the pads might be a bit glazed, but if you've got the TT/Jitsie style pads they usually come good again really quickly without needing to do much extra to them.

13 hours ago, Mark W said:

Bit of water on the pads/rotor, then pedal around on flat pulsing the brake on and off.  You don't need to get them hot (as that just increases the chances of them glazing which slows the whole process down), you're effectively just scrubbing the surface of the pads and rotors.

Polar opposite to what i've always done (pedal around like f*ck dragging the brake and then pour water on it)...and I think i'll be doing it your way in future.

#brakenoob

Edited by ben_travis

That's why you aren't having much luck with them...

As Mark said, keep things cool - this is a trials bike, not a DH bike :)

If the old pads / rotor were covered in black shit that's contamination. Even touching the rotor will your fingers will contaminate the brake and reduce performance...

I've always done it cold, pour water on, ride round with brake on, water on again, ride with brake on, water on again, ride with brake on, let it cool down and clean with solvent brake cleaner. Works everytime for me

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Just after the water they are really good but it seems to fade to just OK after a while? @Adam@TartyBikes @Mark W

keep going a couple more times, just ride and pulse the brakes. It SHOULD just eventually go away out of nowhere. Any shit in your pistons? brakes topped up properly/bled properly? bpc adjusted etc? Shouldn't really have to adjust anything if bled correctly. 

If your using sram guides I reckon it COULD be the problem... Only because everybody I know who uses them/has used them has had problems with them, apparently the fluid is bizarre too and literally gets hot or something :S I've not used them myself but could be something along those lines. who knows. 

The mind boggles, he's new pads and rotors both pretty decent. Bedded them in fine nothing I wouldn't do but they just don't seem right. At first I thought it was just Karl being a tard and not pulling them right but after going on then they're slightly off. I think the rear personally is just way underpowered so it's just about good enough but when you really need it it's not there 100% to me fronts bang on. I'd go as far as finding a better caliper that uses the same fluid as the levers are really nice.