The Laf Academy

aener

Jamie and I were talking on New Year's Eve about motivation for riding. We thought of the video competitions of old, but whenever either of us have tried to do something similar in recent times, people just don't engage.
So we had our own little private one. But without the competition aspect. We settled a list of "themes", and since I'm Covid-induced-redundant and he is on university coursework with no strict timetable, we set extremely tight deadlines to keep us on our toes. Tight meaning two days per theme.
We disallowed filming for any one theme until the previous one was done, otherwise the later videos would obviously be better than the early ones.

These rules and prescribed topics felt like school, so we ran with the analogy and started calling it the curriculum.
Filming began the next day.
Filming was cut short by weather and real-life getting in the way, so unfortunately the videos we expected to be the bigger and wilder ones never actually came to pass.

Anyway - here we go. A collection of mini-videos. Enjoy :)

• Like 10

Flipp, we need to talk about that line at 5:00. How in the f**k.

Great riding from both of you, and a really cool concept for a video.

Jamie - I've only really seen random IG clips from you, so seeing a more complete video was cool! Can see how much your bike control as well as the size of your riding has been progressing. Really cool to see.

Flipp - rad as ever. Really enjoyed the 'taps' section in particular. I'd tried some of that stuff (spent f**king ages trying to get the moto bonk/tap to over on some walls back in my Bristol days) but never really got far with it, think that's why it was all the more impressive. Think it's the type of thing that doesn't really look as hard as it is, unless you've tried it. Not that it's exactly a surprise, but your bike control is nuts...

EDIT: Forgot to say, shout-out to those tyres for the grip they were giving you on some wet/slippy take-offs and landings (got away with it at 6:17). The little tyres that could.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Mark W said:

Flipp, we need to talk about that line at 5:00. How in the f**k.

Jamie - I've only really seen random IG clips from you, so seeing a more complete video was cool! Can see how much your bike control as well as the size of your riding has been progressing. Really cool to see.

Flipp - rad as ever. Really enjoyed the 'taps' section in particular. I'd tried some of that stuff (spent f**king ages trying to get the moto bonk/tap to over on some walls back in my Bristol days) but never really got far with it, think that's why it was all the more impressive. Think it's the type of thing that doesn't really look as hard as it is, unless you've tried it. Not that it's exactly a surprise, but your bike control is nuts...

EDIT: Forgot to say, shout-out to those tyres for the grip they were giving you on some wet/slippy take-offs and landings (got away with it at 6:17). The little tyres that could.

5:00? With extreme frustration. DAMN that one took a while. It's right next to a bus stop so people just stopped and stared all the time, which I know you know how much I don't like :P

I think I peaked super early with that tap section. I've been doing tap-moto-frenchies for years, but upping that to tap-moto-nosebonk was pure greif. The 19" tyre has all but killed bunnyhop-related stuff because it rolls so slow, so sadly they're being put by until it's dry again and I can switch back to streety tyres. They're United Indirects, and are just ace. Almost the same as the MTTs, but a bit more lively feeling, at the expense of not quite as good puncture resistance. The less said about 6:17 the better. Haha.

Edit: Oh. Another thing that doesn't look as hard as it is is making back-to-back videos every second day. It's pretty clear we were both getting tired :lol:

Edited by aener

Ah, cool - I thought they didn't look quite like the Haro ones you'd shown me before. Glad you've found something suitable either way (Y) 

In a way, I'm glad that line I referenced took a while, haha. If that had been a casual one-timer there would have been more follow-up questions...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mark W said:

thanks mark. there's not really any clips where i'm actually doing any moves that i'd consider big for me, and as Flipp knows i was quite anxious id not really got any of my "big" riding in there. battling rain/snow/ice every time i could :P  if he has the little tyres that could, i have the big slicks that couldnt. 

• Like 1