Pad Reviews

Mark W

Anyone noticed their Rock blue pads are VERY loose in the brake calipers? Mine wobble like fook, its caused my pads to wear down at a round edge :Slol

EDIT: still worka beast though...

Mine began to wear quite unevenly, and become loose in the calipers. Then the backings snapped :)

So we replaced them for you.

The issue is that the braking material is so powerful it can kill the plastic backings over time. Rock Pads have also looked into CNC backings, but this broke the brake cylinders instead!

:blink:

They seriously that good?

haha..shiiiit. :lol:

:blink:

They seriously that good?

haha..shiiiit. :lol:

They seriously are! lol They fooking awesome pads!

I need some more now though, cause mine are like a semi-circle lol, not square any more lol.

Hmm, my mates using the new colour red ones... and they arent as good as my blues, or his old blues.. at all... they sighlent, and dont bite or hold much...

Pads: Koxx Greens

Time used: 2 months

Rim used: Echo '06

Grind: Yes medium

Ceraminc: No

Brake used: Magura with RB booster

What is your opinion of a working brake: Bites with a nice honk, then doesnt budge one bit.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Very similar to Joypad Yellows.

Review: After seeing lots of people say how good these pads are in the wet I decided to give them ago for the winter season. I'm pretty disappointed, thought they were going to be immense with a nice loud squeek. But all I got was silence with a few 'swooshes'. They held to a rideable standard but just didnt have that much of a bite, after going on a ride with a guy that had Koxx Blues I can safely say that his blues were deafeningly loud with a really nice bite. Shame really I was really hoping that they'd set the standard for wet pads.

Pads: Onza citrus

Rim used: Koxx

Grind: Yes, Fresh

Time used: Few hours

Opinion on a working brake: One i can use with no fear

Pads used: everything

Reveiw...

Got the pads back when i was riding put them on and they made a nice squeek which reasured me, tested them for a while and they were slipping however everyone says they bed in so i rode them for a few hours and went for a big rail gap, needless to say i ended up on the floor screaming for help. its doubtful as to whether i will ever walk again. i highly reccomend these pads

Pads: Onza citrus

Rim used: Echo 07 (26'')

Grind: Yep, slightly worn

Time used: 10 mins

Opinion on a working brake: Not much modulation, nice lock and hold

Pads used: Heatsink white (old ones) and reds.

Review - Wasn't getting on with my heatsink reds and during the last few days they were slipping loads, decided to put my citrus's on even though i'd heard they were no good on a grind. Put them on and instantly they felt alot more substantial as they were locking straight away and they don't feel like slipping at all :) , where my other pads would slip with no bite.

I'm just looking forward for them to bed in. Really couldn't ask more in a pad ey?

(Happy) Ben

Pads: Heatsink Reds

Rim used: V!Z 19" anod

Grind: Yep fairly harsh

Time used: 5 hours?

Opinion on a working brake: good hold+bite sounds a bonus

Pads used: ZOO!s, koxx bloxx browns

brake: 05HS33 with zoo lever blade+old echo booster

these pads were to big for my frame/rim(06 python V!Z rim) so i had to get my mate to play with them for a few weeks. fired them on yesterday sounded good when i started pedaling around dragging the brake (better than ZOO!s) but didn't make any noise when i used them for ups/gaps/drops etc (Y) (i might be wrong but that = good 'cause it means they didn't slip at all) very pleased with them they didn't slip out all day =] (i could make my zoo's slip but these wouldn't budge)

Pads: Ali C Joypad Blue

Time used: 2 weeks

Rim used: Echo '06

Grind: Medium

Brake used: Hs33 Water Bleed, RB booster.

What is your opinion of a working brake: Bites instantly with no swooshing, holds when your back wheel is on the edge of a wall.

Previous pads you have used: Onza citrus, joypad yellows, koxx greens, plaz.

Review: Took so long to get these to bed in, chucking so much water on them I'm dredding to see the water bill. Anyway after about 3-4 hours of riding I started to notice a faint noise, since then its progressed into an extremely loud honk! The bite is something you dream of, and the hold is pretty impressive, although I'm hoping the hold will better. They are so much better than any previous pads I've used, and they bite absolutely incredibly if there is abit of moisture in the air. Best of all, they aren't extortianetly priced and they haven't worn down that much at all.

10/10 for Ali

PAD- mike singletons phat pads in cnc backings

TIME- used a good month

RIM USED - onza hog

GRIND- smooth and now a fresh medium

BRAKE- hs33 o4 with water bleed custom booster 2 mount

opinion on working brake: nice loud sudden noise looks nicely and a sudden pull on the lever

previous brakes owned- heatsink reds (older ones) heatsink blues 3x, coust, viz orange, zoo, now with phat pads

review- ok when i first got these pads i was using tar as i had a smooth rim and they worked fine and dandy but they did slip once or twice, now that i put a new grind on literatly i found a difference in the lock it took no time to bed in and now i have more confidence- went riding in the rain back wheeled lever height (highest i got in the rain so far) these pads are amzing in the dry and dont disappoint you in the wet.

although i love the brake i wish i bought 2 more sets of them than buy the cnc backings but hay ho im off riding hope this lil review helps

• 3 weeks later...

Pads for review:

Coust in cnc backings

Heatsink blues

Heatsink Red in cnc backing on vee brake

Vfly pads

All pads used for a great deal of time 2 months plus.

Pads used with 97? Magura with oil and water bleeds. Reds/Plaz with LX and Deore vee.

Reds/Plaz also with Fly and Magic U brakes

Pads: Coust in cnc backings

Rim used: DX32 mod with mellow light grind

Review:

These pads are the best i've used yet.

Work and hold in the wet and i mean rain.

Used with and without a booster with oil and water bled Magura the pads don't feel spongy and are very rigid.

Offer a nice loud bite without the booster and the wear rate is also the best i found yet.

All round amazing pads.

Pads: Heatsink Blues

Rim used: DX32 mod with mellow light grind. Also used on Chrome black box (smooth)

Review:

After riding Coust's a little i thought these were worth a try. Not quite as reliable though.

Wet riding they are ok but not fully holding.

Wear rate is rather good.

They did slip on a light grind but maybe better with a sharper one?

On a Chrome rim they were extremely good.

Pads: Heatsink Red vee backing cnc'd

Rim used: Hazard Light Chrome with Ubrake. Black Box Chrome with vee brake.

Review:

I wasn't too pleased with these. I was expecting them to lock like a Magura even with a U and Vee brake. They do lock and hold well but i feel i can't trust them 100%. There also just isn't any bite. Perhaps a different rim would help but when used with a Vee brake they were solid but still little bite. No sponge and long lasting.

Pads: Vflys

Rim used: Hazard Light Chrome with Ubrake. Black Box Chrome with vee brake.

Review:

Superior to the Red Heatsinks even though they aren't in cnc backings. They have a little spongey feeling to them and the wear rate isn't as good as the Heatsink reds. On a grind they would no doubt die but for Chrome they are rather good. I would consider buying another set especially for a Magura. I trust them as they hold well because of the slight sponge.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys just wondering if anybody has tried the new rimjam v3s on a dead grind as i am thinking of getting some.

And also what are they joypads like on a dead grind.

Cheers guys.

Both good pads, i liked my rimjams a lot, and they worked while i had the super stiff brake set up that stopped my other pads from working properly, plazzies etc. Mine wore pretty fast but i had them on a very harsh grind, i'd like to sand them straight and try them on a lighter grind now my brake set up is better. Wally's are loud as hell though.

The joypads are good too, i'm liking them at the minute and have gone back to using them. I think i'll be picking up another set of each when i get some money. Both exceptional pads.

I'd say the rimjams are probably slightly better on a dead grind though, the joypads seem to prefer a slightly sharper one.

Zoo pads.

I have them on a very dead grind, smooth even. And they're awesome.

Locked straight away, then i put some water on, rode around with the brake on, then wiped it off again, and it was even better!

Zoo pads.

I have them on a very dead grind, smooth even. And they're awesome.

Locked straight away, then i put some water on, rode around with the brake on, then wiped it off again, and it was even better!

try furniture polish, wipe it fully off, then let it dry..... you WILL be amazed ;)

Both good pads, i liked my rimjams a lot, and they worked while i had the super stiff brake set up that stopped my other pads from working properly, plazzies etc.

Do you mean with a booster or/ and cnc'd backings? I'm curious to why my cousts and rock blues aren't as good as they should be. Although only one day of riding so far on the rock's.