Pad Reviews

Mark W

• 1 month later...
Pads: Echo '07

Time used: 2 days

Rim used: Onza ronnie (mod)

Grind: very light / smooth

Brake used: Magura HS-33

Previous used pads: heatsink blues/whites/reds/new gens, green rock pads, Zoo pads, Koxx greens, Rock pads Red

Review:

I spent about 30mins getting the pads allined right, hitting flat, and at the same time, etc etc. I popped about in my carpark for about 10mins, they seems REALLY good. no slips, not squeeze, just bitey. I went out on a proper ride, with a mate. They held on ever thing I threw at it. They slipped about 2 time during that ride, which I wasnt too fussed about. It was about a nipple height wall I tried to back wheel, but next time I done it, got it to back wheel, and the brake just held. went out just before, and they were as good. In this time, they have not wore, maybe by something by like 1mm, but thats tops. I will see what they are like on a light grind when I can be bothered grinding the rim.

All in all very good pads. Thy also have a nice squeek

Don't do it!! Leave them how they are!!

Major emphasis on don't there...

Brilliant pads on a dead grind etc. Used mine for a ride at the weekend (about 5 hours) on a fresh light/medium grind. I am now left with half the amount of pad material i started with, after just 5 hours riding. Bloody fantastic brake though.

There made for smooth rims really, I tried them on a brand new rim, the were balls. Wacked them on a light grind, WOW they were very good. Still have them in my garage now.

Used Plazzies the other week, light grind, they were okay. Dont know what all the fuss was about, so i put them on a new/ fresh grind. they were a tiny bit better, rode down a hill do work. car pulled out. about 4/5 mm on pad ALL over my tyre, have about 1mm pad left. (N)

Anyone know what pads to suggest to me...Was thinking Koxx browns, they seem to match my requirements according to the reviews on ere, jsut wanted to know if theres much out that atall similar??

Have one side smooth, one side dead grind...might be grinding other side to match though...

Dont really like loud loud breaks to be honest, but love lots of hold after some modulation....any suggestions aswel as Browns??

Oh and long lasting...

Cheers guys

Chris

Edited by who,me?

• 2 weeks later...

Brake pads: Heatsink reds in CNC backings

Time used: 2 Weeks

Grind: Yes, Harsh

Brake: Standard 05/06 Magura, water bled with Hose splitter.

Opinion: Bloody awsome! I put them on and it took about a day for them to bed in properly and when they did they were really loud and grabby. Instant lock and very good hold.

I've put some different pads on now and they are no where near as good. (white pads)

Its sad though because they have worn a fair bit:( Maybe that was down to my grind though.

Definately reccomend them :)

Pads: Zoo! Pads old compound

Time used:2 months

Rim used: Alex Dx32

Grind: No

Ceraminc: Yes

Brake used: Magura Hs33 2004, Magura black hosing, Water bleed

What is your opinion of a working brake: Loads of Bite, Loads of lock, Really loud.

Previous pads you have used: Plazmatic Crms, Koxx blues, Koxx Browns, Koxx reds, Onza citrus, Rock reds, Rock Blues, Echo pinks

Review: I first put these pads on and they didn't even need time to bed in. They were grabby as f**k, loud as f**k and held amazingly. After a week or so the performance started to lack. So i put a dab of tar on and the pads were at there best performance yet. Even grabbier, louder and more holding than ever. I've never had a brake so good. All my other pads have never been as good as these. To this day, these pads are still working amazingly and have hardly worn down.

Recommend them to anybody.

Danny.

Brake pads: Heatsink reds in CNC backings

Time used: 2 Weeks

Grind: Yes, Harsh

Brake: Standard 05/06 Magura, water bled with Hose splitter.

Opinion: Bloody awsome! I put them on and it took about a day for them to bed in properly and when they did they were really loud and grabby. Instant lock and very good hold.

I've put some different pads on now and they are no where near as good. (white pads)

Its sad though because they have worn a fair bit:( Maybe that was down to my grind though.

Definately reccomend them :)

well was going to review thesw pads up but hes said it all for me.

but i run them on a light grind and there still amazing.

matt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pads: PHAT PADS!! (cnc backings)

Time used:2 weeks

Rim used: Try-All

Grind: Yes, Medium, not sharp.

Brake used: Magura Hs33 2007, Magura black hosing, Water bleed, Echo '08 levers

What is your opinion of a working brake: Instant bite, Firm hold, nice noise.

Previous pads you have used: Koxx Browns, Rimjam V3s, Onza citrus, Adamant pads, Zoo pads, Echo reds, Echo New compound, Kool stops!!111

Review: Put the pads on after my Koxx Browns had been working poo! (no hold with the worn-down grind, not much bite and no noise) They were absolutely amazing! They haven't worn down at all, not a hundredth of a millimeter, and I love them. I'll never use any other pads (as long as I can get hold of some of these).

:wub:

Pads Heatsink red cnc'd rear.

Time used Full day of riding

Grind Yes, Fresh/medium-harsh

Brake used Magura water bleed

Jeeesus, Put them on there was a swoosh and a honk first time then it went mental... Brake was on off perfect evertime. Feals amazin but the hold and bite of these pads is sooo good i cant really think of the correct word to use. Made me feal confident that it wasnt going to let go on me and typical scotish weather showed towards the nite and it rain'd but still we were out i still had a super load brake and the hold was still unreal.

Buy Them! you will be amazed

Pads Heatsink blues front

Time used Full day of riding

Grind Yes, Fresh/light-medium

Brake used Magura water bleed

Once again, I was amazed. First ride gap to front booooom, They locked up no slip atall. This performace was there all day. When the rain came down still no slip in performace, Everytime they would hold mazin.

Defo recomend them...Too.

Pads: Heatsink Reds (CNC'd Vee backings)

Time used:1 week

Rim used: Echo 2007

Grind: Not at 1st be yes a light one later on

Brake used: Avid SD7

Previous pads you have used:Onza citrus, Zoo pads, Echo New compound, Plazmatics, Heatsink reds (CNC'd maggie backings) and blues also New gens and snowys. Rock pads, green and red ones, Koxx Greens, Ali C's pads, Standard Avid Vee pads, V-fly pads.

I set up the pads perfectly. Hitting the rim at the same time, parallel. and all that. Hopped about on the curbs in my car park, They were loud, with a nice bite. and plenty of hold. went for a ride later that day, ground was a little wet from the rain over night. Done a few big taps, didn't quite make them BUT the pads never spilled once. they hold very well even when on the very edge of a wall. Only down side, get the pads a tiny bit wet - they don't work. they slow you down though!! (only thing i didn't like was the seemed to stick to the rim as they were both smooth surfaces)

I ground the rim. Didn't bother taking the wheel out, as this would mean setting the pads up again. was a nice light grind not too sharp just something for them to grip to. They hadn't much noise at low speeds going forwards, but when you go backwards they make a lovely honk. They still have all the hold, and bite as before. if not more bite. Haven't wore down either, well maybe a mill MAX

Very Very pleased with these, Will be trying out the Coust material when these reds wear down.

• 1 month later...

Pads: heatsink cousts in pimp metal backings

Time used:2 months or so

Rim used: rear revell and then a rear 24bicycles 42mm rim

Grind: hell yeah,sharp med

Ceraminc: nope

Brake used: 05 maggie,zoo! lever,water bleed no booster

What is your opinion of a good working brake: on/off ,loud ,solid lever feel and excellant hold

Previous pads you have used: koxx browns ,cousts ,zoo! ,onza citrus ,rock pads greens ,rockpads blues ,maggie blacks

Review: i started using these pads on my reveel rim which had a dull med grind on it,after setting them up nicely i went for a ride,and instantly they appeared as if they were bedded in already ,great hold,bite and sound like a horny goose (Y) these pads also seemed to get better and better as i used them for longer and longer too.

then i bought and 24bicycles rims and whacked a harsh grind on it and set the pads up,instantley i had the same performance as my old rim even though i slightly rushed setting up the brakes :unsure:

so all in all ,im very impressed with these pads :D bought another set off these along with hs reds the other day,i'll let you know bout the reds in due course .

steve

Pads: Coustsink Vees

Time used:Month or thereabouts

Rim used: DX32

Grind: Lightest grind ever (smoother than a light grind that's been worn flat since April)

Ceraminc: No

Brake used: Avid Ultimate, SD7 Lever

What is your opinion of a good working brake: Silent, solid bite and hold

Previous pads you have used: Zoo, Heatsink reds, Rock blue/red, Maggie black/kool stop

Review: Silly business. Performance is ridiculously good, but they're annoyingly loud!

If these pads were silent, I would NEVER buy anything else!

Edited by Monkey Boy

Anyone know what pads to suggest to me...Was thinking Koxx browns, they seem to match my requirements according to the reviews on ere, jsut wanted to know if theres much out that atall similar??

Have one side smooth, one side dead grind...might be grinding other side to match though...

Dont really like loud loud breaks to be honest, but love lots of hold after some modulation....any suggestions aswel as Browns??

Oh and long lasting...

Cheers guys

Chris

If your going to buy some koxx pads, I would suggest the greens. Although these pads are designed to be very good in the wet, they are also very very very good in the dry.The pads are Noisy and they lock. Also they put up a great performance in the wet. All in all, great pads for all weathers.

Nathan

Edited by Koxx_Nath.C

Pads: Echo Red's 07

Time used: 6 months

Front/rear: Rear

Rim used: Echo with sidewall colour

Grind: No

Tar: Yes

Brake used: Magura mineral oil

What is your opinion of a working brake: A brake that you can feel/hear the pads grip the rim, like a tacky noise.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: The Echo pads prodivde a better hold with less Tar, I have used Citruses, Magura Blacks, Magura Koolstops.

Review: In the dry, this is probably the best brake imaginable, I used to run smooth rim with Magura blacks and tar but it ate the tar like anything and the brake was useless without any tar.

However with the Echo pads, they manage to have excellent hold without any tar, in fact I had a 5 hour ride today without having to use any tar, and it still had a reliable brake hold.

And of course Tar is useful for changing the modulation of the brake, put a lot on to ensure that the brake holds, or leave it if you want it to give a bit.

But this brake is only good for the dry, which is okay for me because I don't exactly like riding in the wet, but the brake also works well on a light/dead grinds as this offers a bit of a rough surface to shed away the water, which would be nearly impossible on a rim that still has the sidewalls colours.

In all, use these pads when your grind wears down, and the weather clears up.

EDIT: I forgot to mention pad wear life, I have been running these for six months and these still look in immaculate condition. they have worn at an angle with the shape of the rim, but apart from that they are almost like new.

Edited by Fugley

Pads: Heatsink Reds in CNC'd backings

Time used: 2 weeks

Rim used: Echo 07

Grind: Sharp, medium

Brake used: magura, water bleed

Brake works extremly well. Does not slip atall and is very very loud which members of the public are not to fond of :P . Highly recommended pads.

Edited by Echo-Scott

Pads:Cousts CNC

Time used: 4months

Rim used: 24seven rear rim/ Mavic ex721 Front

Grind: Rear Grind/ Smooth Front

Brake used: Magura with water bleed

What is your opinion of a working brake: One You Have Complete Control Over, Whether u want it to lock completely or just slow yourself. Also one that you can trust and rely on

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: iv used rimjam red and standard maggie pads, also riden with plaz and bloxx, in my opinion these pads blow the others away, only slipped a few times and thats because i had my brakes set up weird.

Review: These pads are insane, and worth every penny. highly reliable and extremely trustworthy. works just aswell in the rain as they do in the dry and also very loud. Unlike the rimjam red which lasted 3days no grind! these dont seem to want to wear down even on a decent grind

i would recomend these pads to anyone

Pads: Plazmatic CRV.

Time used: Month or so.

Rim used: '07 Kris holm.

Grind: Pretty crap grind.

Brake used: Avid Ultimate, Slic cable, XTR Lever

What is your opinion of a good working brake: Rear brake: Bites as soon as the pads touch the rim, and holds well. Barely any modulation.

Previous pads you have used: Plaz CRMs, Zoo pads, Koxx Blues, Koxx Browns.

Review: Worked ok after i fitted them, this was with a worn grind.

I'm not to good at grinding rims, but as soon as they touched the fresh grind they were lovely. Slowly started to get a squeak, now they hold and modulate well. Which is good for learning manuels..

Very similar performance as my CRMs.

Good pads. (Y)