Pad Reviews

Mark W

Do you mean with a booster or/ and cnc'd backings? I'm curious to why my cousts and rock blues aren't as good as they should be. Although only one day of riding so far on the rock's.

T-rex frame, already quite stiff. Echo control 4 bolt booster, REALLY stiff. Then an RB lever too and CNC backings. All the pads seemed to make a swooshing noise and wore down very quickly whilst not holding at all.

Removing the booster immediately gave the pads noise, they held well and didn't wear down as fast.

Hey guys just wondering if anybody has tried the new rimjam v3s on a dead grind as i am thinking of getting some.

And also what are they joypads like on a dead grind.

Cheers guys.

DanKo's seemed to be crap on a dead grind....a little bit of noise but his brake was slipping though like skaters ass on ice...

Do you mean with a booster or/ and cnc'd backings? I'm curious to why my cousts and rock blues aren't as good as they should be. Although only one day of riding so far on the rock's.

Give the rock pads time, they took ages for mine to bed in. They don't really make a reasuring noise on my set-up but they hold really really well.

Pads: phat pads

Time used: 2 months

Rim used: koxx

Grind: Yes sharp and light

Brake used: Magura water bleed

What is your opinion of a working brake: Bites with a nice honk, then doesnt budge one bit.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: well

Review: After seeing lots of people say how good these pads are in the wet I decided to give them ago for the winter season. I'm pretty damned impressed, worked throughout the huthill mudfest which is a serious first as i couldnt see my rim for mud yet they were still somehow working, although no honk, but that is understandable. in general wet weather they are still awesome if not the same as during the dry. now, duringthe dry i would expect all pads to work, but without fail these just don't stop out performing any other pad out on the market i have used (yet to try rock pads though) and i will definatly be using these again, they hardly wear, which was a bitch when i first got them as i had to wait for them to wear down on rides so it wasnt on the rim, 2 months later and it still rubs when i put alot of power down and my rim flexes over. and the honk is f**king annoying now, but if you are after a loud honk with incredible bite and hold, get these

buy them now !!!

Edited by ash-kennard

Pads: phat pads/joy pads

Rim used: DX32

Grind: light, harsh and medium

Brake used: Magura water bleed

What is your opinion of a working brake: Beastly bite, loads of hold, no modulation and a loud honk

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: not so good

previous pads: koxx blues/browns/greens, zoo, echo, majic, plaz, rimjam greens, magura blacks/reds,

Review: well got the material cut ready off mike so i glued the beuts and had them ready for my new rim (DX32), i blasted them on setting them up perfectly and to be fair they were freeking amazing ! took about 5 mins to bed in and they really did rule ! they worked awesome in the dry and the wet which was really reassuring although after time they slowly lost all what they had in them, i tryed all sorts of grinds, pouring hot water over my rim and sending the top layer off the pads again and unfortunately nothing made a difference.

all in all for the price they are really a great set of pads but personally i would sooner pay the extra to get a set of koxx blues.

Paul

Pads: koxx blocks browns

Time used: 3 weeks (ish)

Rim used: onza drilled rim

Grind: Yes (very light)

Ceraminc: No

Brake used: Magura

What is your opinion of a working brake: holds when on the very corner of a ledge

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: they are like 20x better than the standard magura pads

Review: they are the best pads i have ever used and havnt worn down a bit yet. my grind is almost dead, so i use a tiny bit of tar unlike my magura pads i still had to use a fair bit of tar on a light grind.

my rating i give it

10/10

i baught koxx browns YEARS ago, loved them, in between then ive never baught another set of pads, i always just end up with them, and ive had a f**king lot of pads.

at koxxdays i baught some more koxx browns, cos my brake was f**king appauling.

and i forgot how f**kING GOD DAM f**kING fantasic they are

best pads EVER

RimJam V3 Reds!

I never post pad reveiews on here, BUT, i think these deserve a mention!

good pads used: Plaz, joypads, koxx greens, zoo

to be honest i was abit weiry of these bein Rimjam n all.. but they looked the part and ide heard Stan took his off becos they were to loud :blink: that got me interested! lol

put them in and were INSTANTLY the loudest biteyest pads ive EVER used...better then Plaz or anything, didnt even regrind rim, just my old worn grind, and they didnt even bed in, just worked str8 away.

i absolutly love these pads now! and sware by them. :)(Y) well done to the lad who developed these pads!

bite= 10/10

hold=9/10

noise=15/10

Pads:coust cnc

Time used: few rides

Rim used:try-all

Grind: Yes (very light)

What is your opinion of a working brake: holds, bites, noise

How do they compare to previous pads you have used:best bite ever and soo dam responsive

Review:really good pads.

stiff becuase of the backing there so good for bite, lock, but they lack a bit of hold.

although the noise and bite makes up for it.

my rating i give it

8/10

Pads: monty221 xl

Rim used: eho 07 - smooth

Grind: No

What is your opinion of a working brake: agressive bite, strong hold and loud sound

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: the worst of the worst

Review: were set up perfectly to start with, no sound, no bite, usless hold- couldnt gap. Started using them with tar, improved the performance alot with a nice sound and bite but after the two months one pad came out of the backing and the other was half way there. I'd never buy these pads again- just as good as magura blacks on smooth rim. Although they did have little wobble considering the plastic backing.

Well, used my rimjams for a week now! they are clearly the best pads iv used! but have worn down sooo much since i got them! maybe try these pads on a VERY light grind... so light it doesnt feel like a grind when you touch it lol, cause my grinds light, and they still wearing!

Ah well, i have CNC backings now, which im happy of, il just buy some coust rubber next :P

Thanks for the Rimjam V3 pads reviews :) im glad to see they are working well for everyone.

Im currently working on a few slight amendments to the backings, they should be back in stock at Tarty Bikes within the next week (Y).

Chris@rimjam

Pads: Ali C's JoyPads

Time used: Few months

Rim used: DX32

Grind: Light worn grind at first, fresh medium grind a month or so in

Ceramic: No

Brake used: Magura, Water bleed

What is your opinion of a working brake: Good bite, solid hold (Ideally silent, but prefer working and loud to quiet and shit)

Other pads used: Maggie blacks, Koolstops, Zoo!

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: On par with the Koolstops, not a patch on the Zoo!s

Review: Ok, after reading countless good reviews, and hearing only one or two negative comments on these pads, I thought I'd give them a shot. For a tenner, it wasn't too much of a problem if they didn't perform.

Stuck them on, and went straight out for a play. The pads were set up well with a fresh bleed, so I was expecting them to be needing bedding in. A few runs down the big steep hill I live on and they were giving out a fair old honk and a decent amount of grab.

Within a couple of rides, however, the pads lost their honk, and all grabbiness that they once had, which was disappointing.

Pads were still setup straight, bleed was fine etc, nothing had changed, except the performance.

A few weeks later, nothing had changed, so I stuck a fresh grind on, and there was a little improvement in the pad performance, but only for an hour or so, then things deteriorated once more.

At the Plymouth ride last week, I pinched a Rock pad off Darren, and ran this with one of the JoyPads, and I had a working brake again.

I'm now running a pair of Rock Pads, and don't think I'll be looking back :P

Maybe it was just luck of the draw, and I got a dodgy pair, but I can't see any problems with my setup, so don't really have much else to put it down to. Seems a shame though as nearly everyone else has had good experiences with them, and I was expecting a lot more from them

Sorry Ali, but I'm not impressed by these... :(

Pads: Ali C's JoyPads

Rim used: TryAll

Grind: Sharp fresh grind

Ceramic: No

Brake used: Sram 7.0+Avid levers+XTR brakeset

What is your opinion of a working brake: Extremly solid

Other pads used: CRM`s

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Much better

Review: after fitting them in, on not grinded rim they worked extremly loudly and kept well, but only in fornt direction. After grinding rim they became a bit more silent (but however still loudly...) and held solid. They have not worn out at all! Good choice for everyone - they work same in dirt conditions, no matter if it`s raining or not. According to price it`s probably best choice i`ve ever made

Review: after fitting them in, on not grinded rim they worked extremly loudly and kept well, but only in fornt direction. After grinding rim they became a bit more silent (but however still loudly...) and held solid. They have not worn out at all! Good choice for everyone - they work same in dirt conditions, no matter if it`s raining or not. According to price it`s probably best choice i`ve ever made

Exactly what mine do, they hold well when the wheels turning in one direction but dont hold when its turning the other way. :S

Exactly what mine do, they hold well when the wheels turning in one direction but dont hold when its turning the other way. :S

Same situation after grinding the rim? B`cause i grinded mine and it now holds in both directions, no cons of them now