Rear Tyre

SebJT

I know there's so many topics about what part shall i get??? (Y)

But... at the moment im running a michilen comp 24 2.2" and well its great, never pinched it and grips has been pretty damn good. Only thing now, ive been running it for 9 months and well it's seen better tread :)

Could just get another one, but was thinking of trying out a high roller (2.35" 2ply 40a) as everyone seems to rave about them.

One question though, how long do they last? I know theyre a very soft compound, but cant really afford to buy a new tyre every few months...

Also do they pinch? because i really like not having to ride with tools or a bag and trust my bike is going to be fine.

Thanks

Seb

I know there's so many topics about what part shall i get???  :)

But... at the moment im running a michilen comp 24 2.2" and well its great, never pinched it and grips has been pretty damn good. Only thing now, ive been running it for 9 months and well it's seen better tread  (Y)

Could just get another one, but was thinking of trying out a high roller (2.35" 2ply 40a) as everyone seems to rave about them.

One question though, how long do they last? I know theyre a very soft compound, but cant really afford to buy a new tyre every few months...

Also do they pinch? because i really like not having to ride with tools or a bag and trust my bike is going to be fine.

Thanks

Seb

i have a high roller 2.5 slow reezay, the grip is emense, i've had it for about 6-7 months and its only worn down a bit but nothing to worry about, if you still thinking that it'll wear down quickly then get a super tacky compound (the same as creepy crawlers) they're still amazingly grippy but last a bit longer :D ooh and i've never had a pinch puncture and run very low tyre pressures too, resulting in rimming out alot, but in turn gives you more grip :P i think i'll end up breaking my rim before i get a pinch flat :P :P

soooo lets re-cap:

maxxiss IMO are the best tyres in the world, i dont think i'll ever change :P

good value for money

excelent pinch protection (dual ply)

amazing grip...

:P :P

Edited by rhythm_101

Ok sounds good

Im not sure now whether to go for a 2.5 or a 2.35, my 2.2 michlin fits nicly now but there isnt loads of room, also got a cheapo high roller, 2.5" from bikedock ages ago and had some trouble with that rubbing.

Running a koxx levelboss with echo 38mm rim...

Wayne: whats the difference to a high roller, compared to a minion, the minion looks like it has more tread, but is it more weighty?

Seb

Edited by SebJT

used to use one, rather nice, but really dont like the orangy sidewalls, also pinched it quite a few times...

Seb

Ps, just done some measuring, if the maxxis has the same depth as a michelin, then itll just fit a 2.5" might just go for a 2.35" to be safe.

Ok sounds good

Im not sure now whether to go for a 2.5 or a 2.35, my 2.2 michlin fits nicly now but there isnt loads of room, also got a cheapo high roller, 2.5" from bikedock ages ago and had some trouble with that rubbing.

Running a koxx levelboss with echo 38mm rim...

Wayne: whats the difference to a high roller, compared to a minion, the minion looks like it has more tread, but is it more weighty?

Seb

erm...not sure really, i've only ever used a 2.5 minion (changing to 2.5 high roller soon) a 2.5 should fit in your levelboss (mine rubs, but that's because my rear wheel flexes sooooo much!)

Ordered a maxxis high roller 2.5" along with a 2.35" single ply for the front from tarty bikes. Ive done some meausing and it looks like it should fit. I hope so anyway.

ill let you know what i think of them when i get them!

Seb

I use a try-all 2.5 for the rear, it's excellent! everyone says it's for natural but i ride street with it and it's quality.

This is for 26" though.

I have to say, I got my 24" 2.5" Maxxis High Roller ST yesterday, fitted it on today, and I don't like the way it rides!

The tyres a fair bit heavier than my old Halo, its very 'High' so it rubs on my brake cross over cable bit :-, its got more rolling resistance than a square, and it makes my bike feel dead :ermm: ok, im a fag, but I don't like it.

Better give it a proper chance, I suppose.

have run a 2.5 minion 2ply for over 8 months now. major thumbs up!!! :ermm:

only probs is, it struggles in the wet now, but mainly because its pretty much a slick :- new one on order soon

just bought a kenda nevegal (steel bead). dunno y! ne1 used em? weighed it at a little over 1200g, so might be too heavy for the front. gonna stick it on the back. will report back soon:p

but yeah, will probs be goin for 2.5 minion 2ply/rear 2.35 high roller 1ply front setup in the near future. can't go wrong with maxxis (though hutchinsons are lighter..................)

smithy

i have a high roller 2.5 slow reezay, the grip is emense, i've had it for about 6-7 months and its only worn down a bit but nothing to worry about, if you still thinking that it'll wear down quickly then get a super tacky compound (the same as creepy crawlers) they're still amazingly grippy but last a bit longer :- ooh and i've never had a pinch puncture and run very low tyre pressures too, resulting in rimming out alot, but in turn gives you more grip :ermm:  i think i'll end up breaking my rim before i get a pinch flat :S  :P

soooo lets re-cap:

maxxiss IMO are the best tyres in the world, i dont think i'll ever change :)

good value for money

excelent pinch protection (dual ply)

amazing grip...

:)  :-

too right! :- I totally agree with this, i run the 2.5 super tacky and its great, no pinch flats nothing, although i do run a hutchinson downhill innertube in the rear, but thats not the point, its a great tyre and grips to pretty much anything (accept for mine because its that worn out its more like a slick lol, not good in the mud) but when new they are great.

Hey, your new tyre should definately fit, I run a 47mm koxx rim with a Minion ST 2.5 and never rubbed, has a wee bit of room to spare.

edit: thats in a levelboss

there's something strange about the tyre cleaence on levelboss's :ermm: i have the same tyre (but on a 42mm viz rim) and there is very little gap either side!