Frozen Magura...

Mark W

Ahoy hoy.

Basically, last night I left my bike in the caravan in our back garden instead of our garage. It was well cold (-5C), and my front Magura froze solid.

Does this put any more pressure on the seals, or not? Is it going to damage the brake in any way?

Thanks for any help,

Mark.

Off Topic

But recently i have noticed that in my left piston on my rear magura the piston is well slower at returning than the opposite one,i have tried using gt85 but diesnt seemed to of worked.

Any other ways to sort it ??

Cheers

lee (Y)

Edited by Mr Koxx

When water freezes it expands, so it should push you blocks onto the rim, if they are all the way to the rim, the it might cause damage, but if they arent, it should be ok.

:(

Just make sur it is fully thawed and warmed up before you try and use it.

If it is slightly frozen, but moves, the seals could be damaged, as they could still be a little frozen, so when you move the brakes, the seals wont flex as they should, but they will crack.

I cant see it making any serious damage, as long as there was a release for the pressure, ie the pads can move without obstruction.

As for the GT85/WD40 trick.

I wouldnt bother. I tryed this when my pistions were getting slow, and the GT85 ate the seals.

Just re-bleed, remove the brakes and the pads. Carefully pull the lever until the piston is right out, then clean it, and pump a few times to get everything moving.....

I bled mine with 1:5 anti:water and it was poo as poo gets, it was sponge tastic, came straight out.

ment to use 1:3 too,

Sexymike.

Cant have been bled right, sponginess doesn't come down though the fluid - liquid is compressionless.

I bled mine with 1:5 anti:water and it was poo as poo gets, it was sponge tastic, came straight out.

ment to use 1:3 too,

Sexymike.

someone doesnt know shit about hydraulics!

liquids dont compress

: record for being beaten by tartridge a whole ten minutes! ( as in posted earlier not beaten.............)

Edited by daahnhillaaaa

When water freezes it expands, so it should push you blocks onto the rim, if they are all the way to the rim, the it might cause damage, but if they arent, it should be ok.

:(

that wont really run true, as even if the pads move all the way to the rim, the small amount of fluid in the system wont be enough to cause a higher pressure than is caused when you yank on your brake lever.

You sure?

Thought you could compress water it a tiny tiny tiny bit as there is still some space between the atoms  :(

Doubt it

Your right, but it wouldnt be noticeable unless you are measuring everything extremely accurately. This change is sooo small that all the fluid mechanics i have done so far at uni has treated fluid flows as incompressable.

that wont really run true, as even if the pads move all the way to the rim, the small amount of fluid in the system wont be enough to cause a higher pressure than is caused when you yank on your brake lever.

Sorry i didn't realy make myself clear, when the brake blocks are against the rim, when the water freezes, the expansion will start doing damage to the insides, the tube stuff like that. Where as if the blocks are off the rim when they forze, all the expansion of the water has gone into moving the blocks.

Still not clear but it'll do. :blink:

It thawed. Went out for a ride last night, doing loads of gaps and backwheeling (not much front brake required stuff), and the f**ker froze up on me. Was fine, I went into the shop, bought a drink, came back out and it had started to get hella weird, then got home and it was almost impossible to move the lever. In the house for half an hour, hunky dory.

I'm sure I posted yesterday...

I run shell mineral oil and it is far far better than Magura blood.

I've used it in my rear hs33 for 3 1/2 years and it's still rock hard. Ive got maggie blood in the front and it pumps up in the sun and has a softer feel than the shell stuff. (both good bleeds)

I personaly don't see the point of water bleeds when a shell bleed feels just as good and you don't have it freezing on you.