Carbon Gone Mad!

Dan@Trials-uk

What about if you stick it on an F1 car, and heat it up to around 1500 degreesC 5 or 6 times a lap?  :(

Carbon is awesome. Not sure about some of those parts though, haha.

I am shocked, :S ... So what your saying is that it would work?

yeah whats the deal with the top cap??

Im guessing its one of those crappy Diatech headsets that uses a compression wedge to tighten it, and the top cap is just a plug...

Craig - yeah, they use carbon disc rotors on F1 cars :( Their working temperature is silly high though (need to be very hot, not sure of exact temps, or their brakes are crap).

Unless you use special pads...

Im guessing its one of those crappy Diatech headsets that uses a compression wedge to tighten it, and the top cap is just a plug...

Craig - yeah, they use carbon disc rotors on F1 cars :S Their working temperature is silly high though (need to be very hot unless the brakes are crap).

:) :) :) :P ...... I always thought "Carbon" was a different thing to "Carbon Fibre" Another simple lesson learnt :(

corish

:S I tihnk the rotor is awsome, and It works, dno what it feels like, but I works lol, I think it probs be crap in the wet, they meh.....

Also look how thick the rotor is lol, Beefy :(

I see "Meh" a lot these days, whats it mean?

corish

I always thought that F1 cars used ceramic discs which I'm 100% sure glow when braking, not sure on carbon fibre ones though.

Found this

400105.jpg

That looks like the aircraft grade of CF though, otherwise you'd see the pretty weave. :blink:"

I reckon the disc'd be ok though, carbon fibres pretty strong stuff but I wouldn't think it'd last long

that bike and carbon parts belong to multi time finnish champion. it's one of the lightest bikes that i have seen. he says that the carbon disc prototype in picture weights 46g compared to marta SL disc which is 106g and actually works very nicely. the carbon stem and fork are only for his ultralight titanium frame cruiser bike. the hs33 slave cylinder caps are very nice, only a few grams but the cylinders will look like new from year to year. normally your shoes wear the paint of them. i have them on my coustellier. if you want to see his bianchi live, just go to the biu european championship in sweden this may...

Edited by mehukatti

Craig - yeah, they use carbon disc rotors on F1 cars :blink: Their working temperature is silly high though (need to be very hot, not sure of exact temps, or their brakes are crap).

They use them on moto gp bikes too, only in the dry though, they're useless in the wet

LEON

Craig - yeah, they use carbon disc rotors on F1 cars :ermm: Their working temperature is silly high though (need to be very hot, not sure of exact temps, or their brakes are crap).

Not true anymore :)"

as many people have said, they are used in Moto GP where the running temperature is a lot lower and unlike F1 where they warm them before a race in Moto Gp they don't because they heat up so easyly.

I myself though think a ceramic disc would be good for trials because of there abilty to work in frezzing temps and in water they don't have as much power as carbon but if there good enough for World Rally cars then there good enough for me :wub:

Oh and they use a type of un sintered pad with the caebon discs :blink:

What about if you stick it on an F1 car, and heat it up to around 1500 degreesC 5 or 6 times a lap?  :blink:

Carbon is awesome. Not sure about some of those parts though, haha.

:ermm: :wub: :) :o ...... I always thought "Carbon" was a different thing to "Carbon Fibre" Another simple lesson learnt :)

corish

yeah you are right - a carbon fibre rotor will shatter into pieces very soon....

as will all carbon fibre pieces if you scratch them they will get stress concentrations at that point and fail - so a carbon fibre disc rotor is possibly the most stupid and dangerous idea of all time .. . . some of the spacers a good idea - but again the cassette - silly - it wont work