Helmets - Please Wear One!

Tartridge

Firstly - if you're one of those people who doesn't care about helmets, then thats cool. Im not gonna try and lecture you.

If you do care though - then read on (if you like).

I fell a fair distance onto my head tonight. Myself and Chris (who was riding with me) reckon it was approximately 7-8ft, with all my weight being taken by the side/back of my head. I somehow managed to pick out a single rock on the (relatively soft muddy/leafy) floor, doing a move which I've tried and pulled many times.

So, I guess the point of this thread is just a sort of a 'wake-up'... I wasn't expecting it at all, and it was a very familiar situation, but something decided it was gonna dump me on my head today. Without my helmet, an extremely serious injury would have happened.

Please wear a helmet people :)

Good point, Ad. Unless I'm riding to school, I always wear my Xen. I've nailed my head a coupla times before and it's about as much fun as a late night visit from Michael Jackson.

There's really no decent excuse for not wearing a helmet, really. If you get one that fits, it'll usually look fine 'cos it's generally poorly fitting lids that give you the "twat" look... So yeah, if you're worried about looks 'n' shit just shop around. They're well worth getting.

Mark

Can't really fault the advice to wear a helmet .

A lot of people use the " but it doesn't look cool " defence , but I think wearing one actually looks very professional . We all look up to the Ashtons and Hermances of this world , and usually see them wearing helmets .

It naturally follows that I aspire to ride like them :"> , and thus wear similar gear . O.K , lids do get hot when riding vigorously , but they give a certain confidence boost , and one less worry at the back of the ( now protected ) mind .

Glad you're still with us , Tarty .

They look really cool hopping on a wall, on a tiny bike with no seat though  (Y)

Well, yeah we do look 'cool'. No one's going to go by and say "haha look at him bouncing on the back wheel on that 6ft wall, how daft is that". Most people are amazed by it.

When you wear a helmet, your "feel of coolness" does drop, untill you get used to wearing it, when i first started wearing mine, i felt realy self consious etc. But after about 2 weeks of wearing it, that feeling goes away.

That feeling of not being cool is what puts people off, and i can understnad that somewhat.

On another note i think there should be a 'wear a helmet' smiley like the 'ban' one, and what ever happend to the Oops one?

Trust me if ads hadnt been wearing his helmet it would of been game over was just one of those things. One second bail looks fine next foot slips out and we got a head to rock thing going on. Makes you realise that people who dont wear helmets are absalute f**k tards to be honest there have been so many posts over the years of "helmet saved my life" but just seems a lot of people still seem to think they are "un cool" but ah well not wanting to take this to extremes but being a vegetable in a wheel chair isnt going to be that cool either.

PS: Shorts are definitely the way forward

Edited by Spacemunkee

Yeah everyone should wear a helmet, but i think the comment about 'you feel quite self consious' is very true, once i had rode with a helmet for about 2-4 weeks i felt totally normal asif i wasnt wearing one and i felt loads more confident then i did without one.

Cheers

Tom

Yeh i always wear a helmet when im out ridng, it not only gives mea bit more confidence, but it makes me different from the chavs doind wheelies or whatevery on their crappy bmx's (due to the public perception that trials bikes are bmx's without a seat) and anybody i know that i seenot wearing a helmet i always make a point of telling them, they never listen though.......(Y)

(Y) i dont wear my helmet as much as i should..if i go on a big ride ill wear it, but if im just over the skatepark f**king about, i never do...and i know i should...but i dont :(

and ive hit my head a few to many times now to know i should wear one but i dont :(.

I just pray nuthing bad happens to me (Y) :( :o

My helmet saved me once. Went to hop up a picknick bench and didn't quite make it. Foot ended up slipping off the bench and I fell straight onto the top of my head then landed on my back (on glass and stones mind!)

Don't wear 1 at the moment because i can't find it :">

Will have to get a new one soon (Y)

i drove bout 10 miles to a ride once, and forgot my helmet. drove al the way back agen to get it!! i never ride without a helmet!!! ive had to pretty serious knocks to the head, and in both cases, i reckon without the helmet, i'd at least be brain damaged.

to those who think people reckon u look silly, dya reckon they'd think u were cool sat in a wheelchair being fed through a straw because u didn't wear a helmet? think we have a point to prove to society in general! i work in a bike shop in oxford, and considerin theres more bikes than cars on the road, it p****s me off the number of customers who say 'i can't wear a helmet because i look silly'.

i know its everyones own decision, but i'm waitin for the day when a post appears on here about one of our fellow riders bein killed from not wearin a helmet. maybe thats the only wake up call some people will take notice of. i've already seen a guy paralysed from the age of 16 because he fell off without any protective gear. and a kid near where i live fell off his bike playin in the street with his friends, and cracked his head on a curb, killing him instantly.

sorry peeps, but i can't understand, under any circumstances, how people can do what we do without wearing a helmet

lecture over

smithy

Edited by guineasmithpig

I can't ride without my lid these days. I actually feel I look stupid riding without it rather than with it. You always think "it won't happen to me", or "but I always get my hands out in time". I misjudged goin up a kicker ramp and caught my front wheel last week. Sure, I got my hands out in time but the rear skewer twatted me on the back of my head harder than I have ever been hit by anything in my life. Without my lid on I could just be slobberin into a kidney dish right now...

Dan

To most,this will be overkill,but when i'm riding the BMX or the DJ Bike(and when i finally get the trials bike) not only will i wear my lid but i'll also be wearing legpads and elbow pads!

I've smashed both shins and elbows while riding and playing ice/street hockey to know that i really don't want to feel that pain if i can help it!

To all you young guys/girls who don't like the idea of protective gear because it doesn't look cool,I'm twice the age of some of you and i can tell you that the shin smashes that i had when i was younger are still there today and you can still feel where the bone has been chipped on both my shins and elbows(so just imagine what you'll look like after surviving a head injury,If you survive!!)

Some would call it overkill to where so much protective gear,some would even laugh,but when i go home after a ride,and i didn't have to go via the local general hospital both me and my family are happy with that!!

HELMETS AND PROTECTIVE GEAR DON'T LOOK COOL!,CHIPPED BONES AND SMASHED HEADS LOOK WORST,PROTECT IT OR LOSE IT!!

Mike.

I should wear my helmet more, I used to I had one in London but they look gay on me but i shall buy another one to add to my collection, this time Ill use it.

As for knee/shin pads and the like I only ever used it for dh otherwise its too restrictive. Also a good pair of jeans stops most cuts and grazes.

I remember my helmet saving my head once but more from stupidity, I rode into the milenium briddge, now how stupid is that.

Edited by Michael Hardman

ive never twatted my head.. but still no matter what im doing... (anything remotely to do with riding a bike) i always wear a helmet... your head is alot more sensitive than you think.. you may think you look a total willy wearing a helmet but who looks the bigger willy.. the kid standing up riding his bike or the kid lying on the floor in a big puddle of blood ?

your choice

As far as I can tell, most decent riders know that helmets are a good idea, and they wear them. It's mainly less experienced riders who don't wear them I think, trying to look cool. If you ask me, I think it's avery scally-ish mentality to think that helmets aren't a good idea. I think My helmet looks good on me.