New Fork Time.

Bigman

Right, after my ride earlier where i found that i have cracked my Fatty R forks 3/4 of the way around the left hand leg, above the disc mount. This is the second pair for forks i have had break around the disc moutn area, the others were some Echo Urbans, which snapped in the bottom disc tab.

I am now stuck with the dilema of what to replace them with, i am looking at the Smart Guy's, but i have been told that Danny Smith snapped a few pairs, so i dunno, i like the look of the new echo Hi-Fi forks, but at £110 i would be pushed to afford them, I am looking at around £95 MAX

Any ideas?

Thanks

Adam

At a guess i would say they are the old ones, BUT, they do have an extended disc mount, and they also have slotted disc mounts :- i would get pics, but my sister has got her cam, and is not here (Y) i dunno, it is so annoying.

Adam

At a guess i would say they are the old ones, BUT, they do have an extended disc mount, and they also have slotted disc mounts :- i would get pics, but my sister has got her cam, and is not here  (Y) i dunno, it is so annoying.

Adam

They're the really old ones then.

The reason they snapped (as did a proportionally large majority of the older ones), is that all the force from the disc/disc mount obviously will go just above it, where there's the breathe hole; aka a stress point.

The newer forks have an extended diskmount, which helps dissipate the stress through a larger area (think moments and pressure :P), and the breathe hole is a lot higher up, so becomes less of a stress point.

If you can get some of the newer forks, 2nd hand possibly, that might be your best bet.

Mike. (Y)

get some new bt forks man. if not for anything else except the bottom of them looks like an arsehole.  (Y)

The same as Echo Urbans then, which Adam killed! Just a standard Pulo disc mount too.

Danny Smith hasn't snapped any Smart Guys. He has (so i'm told) cracked a set at the top of the small gussets, in a very tight corner where they are welded to the crown. Austin Wright did the same to a set of his too. Both of these guys ride hard and go huge. I've never seen, or heard of, any steerer tubes or disc mounts fail on those fofks.

The same as Echo Urbans then, which Adam killed! Just a standard Pulo disc mount too.

Danny Smith hasn't snapped any Smart Guys. He has (so i'm told) cracked a set at the top of the small gussets, in a very tight corner where they are welded to the crown. Austin Wright did the same to a set of his too. Both of these guys ride hard and go huge. I've never seen, or heard of, any steerer tubes or disc mounts fail on those fofks.

I dont want to be a stick in the mud, but I was there when dans forks snapped, the left leg fell off lol

id still say they are the strongest fork about at the moment, there is also the Lite guy forks with the one piece alu steerer that would be as strong id have said.

Ashton forks are spot on too, i aint had a pair snap around the disc mounts altho they are different to fatty forks bigman.

My koxx forx have done great too, i was a bit weiry of going back to steel steerer and bonded into alu legs but have tapped harder hooked higher and literally battered them alot more than the average joe could do and there still straight as a dye and mint, i dont think there much either £70-80ish.

Waynio..............................

I saw Jamie Pedrosa riding with the new global forks today. They look mint and so original AND they are super light, although they dont look it. They would also be pushing it though because i think he payed something like £110 for his but it is probably worth it.

Ali C maybe/will be able to give you a better summary than me.

haha, yeah, jaime's are some prototype global ones. maybe ali's old ones (think they're are the same style, with kinda dual crown plates?), maybe another pair they made. had an aluminium bar banged in through the bottom of the steerer though, to keep em a little stiffer. look nice, not really tried em meself. but u'd be lucky to get any, unless global have started makin em.

still reckon u should go for the smart guys. they look uber tough. though we have heard that at least one pair broke, i can't see how we can be expectin every other pair to go (like the older onza forks :)). the welding and gussets look wicked, and the smart steerer is an awesome innovation (if they are the first to do it o course (Y)" ). i would be gettin em if i hadn't sorted a deal on some more fatties (new style ones at that). just hope these don't break again. may have to down-size my front rotor.........

smithy

I'd have to say go the new BT ones :S They look damn fine and disk mount only is the way to go :D I just dont like the look of the new Echo forks, I havn't had good experiances with Echo forks then the bring out the new "BRICK" range... BT is the way forward me thinks B) Im going to get me a pair for the Rex one day!

James (Y)

I think you'd have to go some to snap Smart Guys. Danny's a big boy and he does throw his bike around a bit (in the 'riding hard' way, not the tantrum way!).

Wayne - which Ashton forks have you had? The first ones had a dodgy looking disk mount (not welded all the way round). The newer ones have a one piece dropout and mount don't they?

(BTW Wayne, have you ridden the new Ashton yet? Just wondered how it compares to the old one. Cheers)