Gcse Revision

bennyboy2005

Erm.

Today I've done 4 hours on P.E. And about Half an hour finding / reading my English Lit notes, as they're on Wednesday.

I've been doing 2-3 Hours a day for the last week or so.

Tomorrow I'm going into School to spend an hour on my ICT coursework, then spend half of the remaining time on English.

I had an "English Day" last Friday. Which was like 8 * 35minutes of English. Which was 'fun' :)

Anywho. I should be ok with P.E., and English Lit i'm finding out stuff I don't know 100% tomorrow but I should be 'reet with that.

Tech on Wednesday too. I've got Wednesday night for that :)

u done more than i have done for my first year uni exams!

it isn't how much u revise, its how much u know!

smithy

Bingo.

I hardly did any for mine, because I was fairly confident I knew the stuff. You should have been doing mocks so you should have some idea how much revision you need to do. Best technique is to do the revision right before the exam, or the day before so the information is still fresh in your mind.

HAHA Number grades (Y) Got love em!

I did fook all revision for GCSE and got 6 b's 3 c's n a d.... Got me into 6th form!

I'm now up to about 6 hours revision a day but thats with msn up and the occasional video download from here :)" most people post vids in the morn though! Woulda thought itd be when there not sposed to be at work/school :P

SLACKERS

James :)

well sicne we're posting 'scores' I'm going to boast (because I was proud of myself!) and let you all know I got 7A*'s and 4A's at G.C.S.E. I revised about 2 hours hours per subject which was definately more than most people. But I love to learn which is the bigggest reason for those marks; I enjoyed learning through the year and going to class so your mind naturally picks up the info along the way, rather than having to force yourself to learn it at the end.

Uni is very different though. If you want to do well you have to treat it like a job. That's 9-5 revision, starting about 5 weeks before the exams and you;ll be sorted. But in the first year, just get 40% to pass - in that year you should just be making freinds....and riding! :)

my mums making me do revision but i dont think its really helping, i just want to go to sleep or do somthing else when i revise so nothing really goes in. does anyone else find this, i just had my i.t exam today and it was soooo easy. :)

I had an Ict Gcse today and i revised yesterday for a hour and i found it pretty easy but i know allot about computers, so i guess it just depends on how good you are at the subject i think for maths and english i'm gonna have to get some serious revision done :).

Good Luck to every one taking Gcse's and A levels :)

Richie.

I didn't, at all. Did ok though, mainly B's

:) .

I didn't, and f**ked up.

Revise, buy books, look at notes, look at them again.

You can f**k up your GCSE's and get away with still going on the course you want, as i did, but don't count on it.

I can't really give advice on revising, as i did mine littererly in the registration room before an exam, stealing a friends revision guide to quickly flick through.

Learn to pass exams:

You require -

1 pencil

1 rubber

1 calculator

as many past exam papers as you can possibly find for each subject, along with their corresponding text books.

Sit and do an exam paper at a time or half a paper at a time. Do each question checking your answers if you get it right move on, if not write notes on it then re try and carry on after that.

Works for me EVERYTIME. Its not the hours.. its the exam papers. Dont even time yourself

Edited by Spacemunkee

Learn to pass exams:

You require -

1 pencil

1 rubber

1 calculator

as many past exam papers as you can possibly find for each subject, along with their corresponding text books.

*ding ding ding* winnaarr!!

It sucks though - all you have to do is learn how to pass exams.

I think revision should be banned :)

I did none for mine and came out with 'above average' marks. Same for A Levels. Uni is a bit trickier though, the hoops you have to jump through are a bit smaller :) Should end up with a 2:1 though.

Bingo.

I hardly did any for mine, because I was fairly confident I knew the stuff. You should have been doing mocks so you should have some idea how much revision you need to do. Best technique is to do the revision right before the exam, or the day before so the information is still fresh in your mind.

Aye I find that works for me, but teachers always say we shouldn't as it will be stored in our short term memory but isn't that want you want anyway. I only revised what I think will come up. English I never bored, but read through the Poems though.

In some ways i think uni may even be easier to cheat the system with, definintely at first year unsure about other years. But lecturers are damn lazy when it comes to the exams ( its not like they want to be sat with you there for an extra year re-taking if they can help it) so id say about 80% of a paper has the same questions in as year before but with different values. Then the last 20% is some newer stuff to seperate the good people from the amazing.

Theres absolutely no reason to shit it over your gcse's A levels are more important at the end of the day so as long as you make it to college or 6th form you've done good enough.

I've been doing 2-3 hours a day, and so far they're not going too badly.

I don't understand why they do it like this, with how the teachers teach a subject. They look at past papers, and will often teach the things that are likely to be on the exam paper. I thought the purpose of an education was so you had a knowledge of all the necessary skills you'll need in life, not a bunch of letters next to your name on a CV that show you have been taught how to get a good grade in an exam. I don't know if I'm making sense here.

What I mean is exams now are all about an "exam technique" where you have to answer the question in a certain way to get the marks. This knowledge won't help you atall when you're older, and I think it should be purely based on knowledge.

I know this doesn't occur in all subjects, but in some it doesn't seem to be what you know anymore.

Apologies if all this is wrong or doesn't make sense.

Cheers

I've been doing 2-3 hours a day, and so far they're not going too badly.

I don't understand why they do it like this, with how the teachers teach a subject. They look at past papers, and will often teach the things that are likely to be on the exam paper. I thought the purpose of an education was so you had a knowledge of all the necessary skills you'll need in life, not a bunch of letters next to your name on a CV that show you have been taught how to get a good grade in an exam. I don't know if I'm making sense here.

What I mean is exams now are all about an "exam technique" where you have to answer the question in a certain way to get the marks. This knowledge won't help you atall when you're older, and I think it should be purely based on knowledge.

I know this doesn't occur in all subjects, but in some it doesn't seem to be what you know anymore.

Apologies if all this is wrong or doesn't make sense.

Cheers

Wait until you do your A Levels. My politics teacher said "We don't teach you politics we're teaching you how to pass an exam" So there you go. It's exactly the same at GCSE as well. And for you SATs, only time you sort of learn from what I can tell is at Uni, but I don't go to Uni so I can't say.

I didn't do any revision got some Bs some Cs and a D and an E. RAWR.

Yeah past papers are the way forward...shame I've only got a couple, so now Im just rereading, making up different lists of when to use stuff, and cacking it that I'm going to fail my a levels (Y) wish I hadn't done 6th form!

James :D

I got 2 Us in my IT coursework, so basically just wrote on the test paper knowing I failed. Biology and Politics are passable, just a question of whether I get told if I got my Apprenticeship or not before I do the tests.

I don';t think you can revise without the specifications!You ge tthese by going on the exam boards site and looking for the specification for your subject,it basically tells you everything you need to know.Flick through it,if you know something,skip it,if you don't get a textbook and write your own notes about it, and take in the knowledgfe as well as writing. Then do a past paper, mark it and note down what you're shit at.PRactise the thing you're shit at over and over then do another past paper.After repeating this proces you should be ready for anything!!!! (Y)

Ideally if you start early enough you can write notes on the whole specificatoin,so whatever you don't know in the past papers you can just flick to your notes on and you're sorted.