2005 T-mag Cracked (now With Pics)

Lawnmowerman

How can he be bashing and the bash plate go foward? the force of you going foward and landing youll be hitting the bash and it will push the plate back.

IMO it looks asif when the rider has gone for a backwheel up a wall, and not made it, the brake has slipped and he has hit the bash, whats the point in having a bash plate if you cant use it?

Tom

Agreed but my mate has done his bash like that just from bashing.

come on, it takes a hell of alot of pressure to do that kind of damage. them rubber things had even bent forwards :) . even if you hadn't used it alot, you'd used it hard when you had. you have to look at it from onza's point of view - as a company. you should read what their warranty covers before acting like it's unfair.

come on, it takes a hell of alot of pressure to do that kind of damage. them rubber things had even bent forwards  :) . even if you hadn't used it alot, you'd used it hard when you had. you have to look at it from onza's point of view - as a company. you should read what their warranty covers before acting like it's unfair.

I agree, and although you haven't had it long you cant blame onza for thinking it has been abused. To me that looks like its had a hard hard life, even if it was short lived one.

I think you should take the half price replacement. Can you imagine if onza gave a free frame to everyone who sent back a frame in that condition, im sorry but they would go out of business, quickly!

Carrying on riding with the bashplate in that state is asking for trouble. I'm surprised the freewheel could even turn without the chain fouling it! With three mounting points and the rubber spacers, it takes a hell of a lot of force to deform a bashguard anywhere near that shape. IMO that has been repeatedly pummelled, at strange angles, into something very hard. I doubt I could make my bash look like that with a fecking hammer.

The extra stresses that bash would be putting through the forward mount would be quite substantial to say the least, leading to the obvious, inevitable failure.

I think Onza are being generous giving half price replacement to be honest!

Dave

Edited by monkeyseemonkeydo

I think Onza are being generous giving half price replacement to be honest!

Agreed! Unless it was a design flaw (which it could be) or manufacturing defect there shouldn't be much of an argument, it's a trials frame :)

I agree that the bash looks a little over used but even so, the bash plate should of snapped before the frame gave way.

I managed to bash my bashplate into all kinds of shapes on my old t-pro 03, but the bashplate always snapped before the frame suffered any damage.

Judging by the riders comments 6 weeks ago when he first dented the downtube it looks to me like the t-mag's downtube is far too weak.

Those bashplates are made of cheese, i can bend one back with my hands, so for it to force a hole in a relitavly brand new frame is stupid.

Also, it would only take 10 - 15 harsh hits on the back of the bashplate in order to force it into that shape so over 6 weeks it isn't amazingly damaged, especially considering it's been riden on natural where bash is used a lot more. The rubber in the middle is soft so the fact it's squashed really doesn't count for anything and IMO the rear bashplate mounts are far too small. I'm sure if they were like the ones on the t-pro (one continuous flat peice of alu) the bash plate couldn't of been bent so far forward in the first place.

Onza offering a half price replacement is fair enough if they truely believe it's been abused, But IMO if you analyse what has happened and over how many weeks then there is clearly something not quite right with the t-mags downtube.

It'll be interesting to see how many more are broken considering the average level of riders who own an onza, and weather or not this really is a one off.

It'll be interesting to see how many more are broken considering the average level of riders who own an onza, and weather or not this really is a one off.

what do you ride? amd what exactly do you mean by what you just said?

so someone riding a koxx is better than someone riding an onza?

what do you ride? amd what exactly do you mean by what you just said?

so someone riding a koxx is  better than someone riding an onza?

I ride an onza.

And i stick by my point. Almost everybody who starts trials buys an onza (especially if they want to ride mod), so inevitably the majority of onzas are riden by very low skilled riders, therefore as a result, they are riden into the ground (meaning they are abused).

In referance to your last comment, I don't think EVERYONE that rides a koxx is better than EVERYONE who rides an onza, but on the whole they are.

You know it's true so don't try and start and argument.

I havent abused the frame at all. Ive landed on the bash quite a lot but isnt that what its there for?

If onza cant design a frame to take a bit of trials use i think they need to think about what theyre doing really. Sort the downtube out, if there was a plate put on the downtube like the tpro and there wouldnt of been a problem i bet.

And i'm not a beginner, ive been riding for a few years now

Edited by trialsboy560

They obviously weren't saying "Don't go to bash", but if you look at a normal bash it's nothing like that shape. I don't care if you say you "don't go to bash" unless you fall from backwheeling - that's the same as me, and my bash has never, EVER gone to that shape. I've also never managed to bend the little elastomer bits, or rape the bash guard like that at all. The way that that's bent is going to be transferring stress straight onto the weld if you land on it, so if you'd bent it back/got a new one so it spread the load more efficiently with the other mount points it'd probably have lasted longer. The dents on the downtube and the raped bash suggest it's more abuse than a design fault, in fairness.

If you're saying it's unfair that Onza are "only" giving him a half-price replacement frame, try going to - for example - Koxx with a frame with a dented downtube (more than just the "one" dent from the picture you showed earlier), with a totally raped bash and see what they say. Seeing as Koxx wouldn't even warranty Jack_Flash's frame at first 'cos they kept making up excuses, the fact that Onza are giving him a cheap replacement at all is pretty good, to be fair. I know it sucks that it broke so quickly, but that's life I guess.

Seeing as Koxx wouldn't even warranty Jack_Flash's frame at first 'cos they kept making up excuses, the fact that Onza are giving him a cheap replacement at all is pretty good, to be fair. I know it sucks that it broke so quickly, but that's life I guess.

I understand what has been said about the general standard of onza owners, even if it is a little unfair. Most beginners buy onzas because they are cheap and of good quality in most cases, however it is true about them abusing onzas a bit too much as look at ben slinger for example-world class rider who rode a t-lite then a t-pro and didnt break those frames because he is smooth when he goes big. In my opinion onzas are good frames/bikes but over abusing them is only going to cause damage like what has been seen here...

If you look after something, it lasts longer :o

I'm not meaning your not allowed to go to bash, but come on, that's pretty mangled for 5 weeks.

I look at a bash with the state of mind that it's for protection, not to be used all the time. if i dont make something backwheeling, then i jump off and take the bike with me, hardly hit bash!

Seeing as Koxx wouldn't even warranty Jack_Flash's frame at first 'cos they kept making up excuses, the fact that Onza are giving him a cheap replacement at all is pretty good, to be fair. I know it sucks that it broke so quickly, but that's life I guess.

Not read the whole post, but would like to comment on the above.

Mark, that’s an interesting accusation. I am not in the habit of making excuses, neither am I shy of telling a customer the facts surrounding a warranty enquiry. Thankfully I receive very few complaints about the products I sell, in the rare event of failure it’s always important to establish if the item in question broke or was broken. If its later I endeavour to give the customers the benefit of the doubt, but if the broken item appears to have been run over by a truck, then sorry no deal.

Would you like to post some facts surrounding the “excuses “claim you have made and if in fact I have ever heard of the individual, (as there seems to be a spate of complaints about frames by people that we or our dealers have never dealt with), I will be pleased to explain any comments I have made or made on my behalf.

I must say I find that you usually make fair comments regardless of the brand under discussion, is it possible that you have been sold a rumour?

Fred Savage.