Gear Ratios

MikeWarner

I have some Middleburn Pro Trials cranks with a 22T ring. At the rear I have an 8 speed 11-28T cassette. I am still undecided as to which gear I should be in for general trials use.

I was wondering what gears (no. teeth front and rear) other people use.

I have looked at going for a single speed at the rear, but can only find 18T and 16T cogs, which I'm thinking may be to high a gear when used with the 22T ring at the front. Middleburn do sell a 20T front ring for the protrials, but even still, is this still going to be too high a gear?

Many thanks for any advice / info.

Mike

Depends what you ride and how you ride.

I ride 22-18 and that fits me perfect. For natural stuff people like 22-19 because it is a slightly lighter feel.

I would say if your strong go 22-18 because you can get extra power if your strong enough to put it down.

And 22-19 if your a bit of a feather weight or natural type of guy.

It is down to your personal preference. If I were you just try a couple of gears out on your cassette and you will soon see what you like.

i started on 22:18, i did try 22:19 and 22:17 when i had a cassette, but in the end i stuck with 22:18, it just feels right frt he type of riding i do. (street riding but not manuals an bunny hops, the sort of street as in hoppy hoppy trials) :P

Hope this helped you

Tom

Edited by Tom Booth

Mike, I used to use 22:19 and 22:18 before I got my silly little 16t small chainring that you saw.

Count the number of teeth on your sprockets and find either a 19t or 18t. I found 19t to be great and 18t just as good but I didnt seem to have to put as much effort into moves as 19t.

So find a 19 or 18 and have a play (Y)

Sam

22:20 on stock

I run a front 22t chainring and a rear 20t chainring, quite high gearing but it feels good to me.

I hate hard ratios as they make your bike feel like a tank to lift and put excess stress and pressure through your hub and drivetrain.

I use to use that gear ratio but wanted to change after awhile as i found it a bit easy and since I changed to 22:18 I have improved alot.

I run 18:12, but founded I kinda needed a little more "oomph", so I just got longer cranks. That way, it feels easy to pedal like 18:13 does so you get more immediate power, but you still have all the power of 18:12. I went from 158mm to 175mm, and gapping and power moves are a lot easier. It really does work better than just getting a spinnier ratio!