What Front Disc And Wheel?

cookie456_the2nd

Bday in about 2 weeks, hopefully going to get a new front wheel and brake.

Front wheel will prob be a hope xc but not sure what front rim? Whats strong but not to heavy?

For the brake, front disc, whats good, whats bad? Never really used any front discs, needs to be quite powerfull and light.

If anyones got any second hand stuff for sale then let me know! Cheers Guys :rolleyes:

ive got a louise FR disc - it feels much nicer than the old louise so dont let the name put you off - i believe they cost less than the hope brake but don't quote me

ive also got a drilled sidewall hog rim which seems fine - its a mod one so i dont know about the stock version but its dead sexy with its little hedgehog cutouts and holes in the sidewall

It would have to be a Hope mono trial 180 for the brake.

Wheel wise, you wont go wrong with a good hope xc hub. Rim wise I would go for a mavic d521. You will be hard pushed to find a stronger rim and at 520g its light enough. But because its a mavic, you can drill the shit out of it to make it look custom and cool :rolleyes: and save a bit of rotational weight. (Not much but hey).

Im liking the hope trials brake and the onza hog drilled rim. I think my back rim is a hog lol (drilled and eyeletted) but fek me its strong!

Should all go nicely with my levelboss.

If ive got the money im deffo going to get the hope trial brake, ive got driving lessons and car stuff to sort out as well...

Hope Mini, the original ones. I have had mine for 3 years and cant fault it. Replaced the pads 3 times. Bled it once. I know a couple of other people that have not had a single problem with the brake. Also it will cost less because if will need to be second hand. As for the rim, I'd probably go for a Mavic either a D521 or an X217. Depending on how much of a weight weenie you want to be :rolleyes:

im running a viz hub and viz rim, light, but hubs awkward for building onto, cos the flanges are to completly different sizes.

for the disc i got a magura marta sl this week and within an hour i was amazed at its performance, i also hate hope disc, ive had 2 mono trials and a mono mini all brand new and all were appauling, ive also had a hayes hfx 9, didnt do anything really.

the marta isn't the cheapest (£184.99 trials shop) but i reckon its the best for modulation and bite and reliability.

i recently bought a hope xc on a mavic 321, with an avid bb7 and avid speed dial 5 lever, from crc came within a week and came to just about 100 quid. Cant go wrong, its the best brake ever and the wheel is a really nice ride, smooth, wide enough to get good profile on a 2.1 and is very light.

Great stuff

Tom

Edited by Tom Booth