Why Bother With Maguras?

adamtrials

Hey

Ive been wondering,

People with maguras are always getting fancy pads and boosters trying to make them more powerful,

yet disk brakes are very powerful without having to do anything to them.

Many people are using front disks, but it is very important to have a powerful rear brake,

so why arent more people using full disks?

Is is to do with the feel of the brake?

A lot of people won't juse rear disks due to the fact they can make a right mess of most frames. A lot of frames will snap when using a rear disk because of the strain put on the chainstays from the backward motion of the disk I think ^_^ I wouldn't feel safe with one although they are mighty fine on a nice jump bike <_< I'd rather maguras with rimjams and an onza brake booster to be honest.....

Jackery

Edited by Teaming

Hey

Ive been wondering,

People with maguras are always getting fancy pads and boosters trying to make them more powerful,

Many people are using front disks, but it is very important to have a powerful rear brake,

Remember alot of frames dont do rear disk break mounts, suppose a few have started to, Main reason is the amount of stress they cause on the frame wich leeds to cracks/snaps and at the end of the day companys feel they could do withought the hassle of replacement frames.

Hey

Ive been wondering,

i dispise disks (this is my personal opinion) and i use the word acuratly (ie i relay relay relay hate disks) they rub and make anoying noises the rotors are rubbish and bend easily they have more seals to leek from (in the lever and the piston) plus they are a pain to clean if you get oil on the brake pads.

aside from that they snap your frame unless its specificaly made to take disks and then they snap mit anyway out of spite

i have 3 bikes none of them will ever have disks - ever, disks are usefull on dh bikes and FR bikes etc but aside from that they should be burned at the stake

As people have said, on stocks it basically means for sidehopping you either hit your mech or your rotor, neither of which is fun.

Judging from my front disc too, it could be the lack of 'feel'? There's not as much 'response' or 'feel' from a disc brake as from a rim brake, in my experience, so it doesn't seem to inspire confidence in you. Will Arnold went rear disc and found it was too quiet and lacked feel too, from what he said, so I guess it's true to some extent.

But anyway, the way that discs rape frames and so on is a bit of a turn-off really, and a well set up Magura with good pads and a booster (if your frame needs it these days...) still works ridiculously well anyway...

Well, it's true that discs do seem to put more strain on frames. But that's just a testament to how good the brakes are.

I've had my orange zero beefed up to take discs better as I got fed up with breaking them. Touch wood, it's been good so far.

They can be a little temperamental, but a quick frantic lap while holding the disc brakes to burn any crap off usually does the trick. I generally find them very reliable and they work in the wet.

I haven't had maguras in a few years, but I found them to be horribly problematic and hugely unreliable. The worst accidents I had were from Maguras slipping through. Mind you back then, tar on rims was a new idea... If I were to go rim brakes again, I'd probably get a decent set of V's.

Oh, and I can't STAND the noise of tar on rims. All that squeeking just annoys the hell out of me. I like my bike as quiet as possible.

I have met far too many people will a completely unnatural hatred of discs.... I mean come on!

As far as hitting them, you'd be surprised how much of a knock they can take. Any major bend will bend back quite easily, and the minor bends are gonna happen anyway. I've never had a disc that didn't warp to an extent. In saying that, I prefer to side hop to the right, although I am partial to the occasional hop to the left.

All in all, personally, I'd never ride anything BUT discs. As soon as I went to discs, I never went back.

Well, it's true that discs do seem to put more strain on frames. But that's just a testament to how good the brakes are.

I think it's more just that the way a disc puts forces on a frame rapes the disc mounts because of the way the majority of them are welded onto (or more specifically, where...). Notice how frames like the B26D and the Kots can take discs, and they have them in between the two stays?

My brake's often quite quiet with a grind, to be honest with you. I hate my bike being loud too, but I'd rather have more feel than less noise in this instance.

If your experience with Maguras was that long ago, I'm guessing you haven't tried many of the new generation of pads?

I think it's more just that the way a disc puts forces on a frame rapes the disc mounts because of the way the majority of them work. Notice how frames like the B26D and the Kots can take discs, and they have them in between the two stays?

My brake's often quite quiet with a grind, to be honest with you. I hate my bike being loud too, but I'd rather have more feel than less noise in this instance.

If your experience with Maguras was that long ago, I'm guessing you haven't tried many of the new generation of pads?

I think I was running koolstops.. I tried green frogs or something as well. So no, I haven't tried the new generation. But I've ridden other peoples bieks with maguras and still not been too hot on them. Some of them have been pretty sweet mind you.

Why should I change, it works for me though <_<

Maguras are good but they are a whole lot of bother trying to get them perfect, but when u do have them all perfect and what not they can be just as good as a disk. but i supose if i could then i would run a disk on the rear except i would have to bie a new frame and rear hub lol <_<

Olie

Edited by echo_olie123

Disks can hold better in the wet, unless you get wet specific pads or run a grind. i find that it is just something that is really expensive, and could snap my frame and is easily bent in a crashes, i prefer to run a magura with brown pads, a grind and an RB booster

Im not sure as ive never been on a trials bike with a rear disc brake, but ive heard that they have a tendency to role and also a magura will cost you about £65 brand new, but a disc brake for trials will most likely set you back over or about a hundred. Theres also the extra weight in a disc brake compared to a magura. And maguras have the easy to use TPA adjuster on the lever, i have v's on my bike but will soon be upgrading to maguras (as soon as i get the cash) but if discs work for you keep them everyone has a different riding style. :P

Yeah, I've noticed some movement when locking the front brake simply 'cos the rim isn't stopped, the hub is. My build's fine, it's just that it's got all my weight trying to force the rim forwards, and 32 steel poles stopping me :P

Well :P I think some people like to have a front magura as it may feel nicer to a person, I would like a disk but would have to dish out quite a bit of money which I would rather spend on say a paint job or new forks or wheelbuild as I feel that a disk is good to have but not fital like a good wheel build.

The buying a new strong pad is to make the braking better and closer to the power to a disk, a disk as better control but I feel that a pad could have the same power but a different feel to it.

Toby :D

not vital like a good wheel build.

Just reminded me of another good thing. You don't have to worry about keeping your wheels constantly in true :P My front wheel has had a wobble in it for months and I've not bothered adjusting it.

My rear disc was screwing me around yesterday. So before a ride today, I just did the whole ride round in circles until the disc brake is steaming, rinse and repeat malarchy. Working superbly now :D

my opinion is you should have a disc on the front just say if you hop to front wheel you dont want it on or off which rim brakes do if set up properly you want to feather it so you roll a bit .

but on your back wheel you want it on or off like hopping off a wall you dont want to roll atall.

all though disc's are very powerfull i whould say a back rim is better reaction if set up well. :P

You can get the 'new generation' in Disc form..

Plaz Disc Pads

(Y)

That shit ain't new (Y) Those Plaz disc pads are older than time itself. They made the matching rotor too (think it was aluminium or some other material that meant they could use the CRM-type material), and as they say - for non-drilled rotors (Y)