Student Shopping List

Urban mammoth

well, havig just got back from a very successful trip to morissons, i just thought it would be a nice idea to help any other uni students running on a budget.

i spent £25 and the food i have bought will easily last me till the end of term (16th dec).

also soreted out my meals for the next few days by getting some freshly made italian pasta salad and fresh fruit salad. i mainly bought tinned items, such as heinz ravoli (mmmmmmmm!) and hunger breaks stuff. also got a loada Mccoys crisps, orange juice, pizzas for the freezer and of course some ben & jerrys ice cream!!!!

just thought it might be useful to help anyone out if they are at uni.

anyone else had good/bad experiences with supermarkets. or can reccommend stuff to buy and stuff not to get etc etc.

oh yeah and for lunchtimes whilst at uni, get yourself down to boots for the meal deal!!! quality. or subway.

delete this if you think its a bad idea.

anyway

cheers

dan

well, havig just got back from a very successful trip to morissons, i just thought it would be a nice idea to help any other uni students running on a budget.

i spent £25 and the food i have bought will easily last me till the end of term (16th dec).

also soreted out my meals for the next few days by getting some freshly made italian pasta salad and fresh fruit salad. i mainly bought tinned items, such as heinz ravoli (mmmmmmmm!) and hunger breaks stuff. also got a loada Mccoys crisps, orange juice, pizzas for the freezer and of course some ben & jerrys ice cream!!!!

just thought it might be useful to help anyone out if they are at uni.

anyone else had good/bad experiences with supermarkets. or can reccommend stuff to buy and stuff not to get etc etc.

oh yeah and for lunchtimes whilst at uni, get yourself down to boots for the meal deal!!! quality. or subway.

delete this if you think its a bad idea.

anyway

cheers

dan

No chance that'll last til december! I spent £75 on food at the start of term, ran out within about 2 weeks. Went to morrisons about a week ago, spend £22 on solely buy one get one free items (like the stuff you said) and its not going to last me out the rest of the week. Not to mention everything ive bought in the mean time...

Iceland used to be where it was at. Couldnt buy anything in there without getting something free, and in the days of free delivery and £10 off online vouchers it was a piece of piss, and cheap to do your shopping.

My plan (when my bike arrives on wednesday) is to go down to somerfield, spend £25 and get it delivered free, bargain. (I live up a big hill)

some freshly made italian pasta salad

ben & jerrys ice cream!!!!

boots for the meal deal!!! quality. or subway.

If you spent £25 on feeding yourself for the next 6 weeks, then I'm guessing you don't have much money to spend. Now I know I could live off under £5 a week's food if I went to Asda (or wherever), but I wouldn't enjoy it. So I'm assuming you're running out of money. If this is so, why are you buying B&J ice cream, Subway and spending £2.99 in Boots on a drink (water is cheaper), sandwich (make your own - cheaper) and a healthy eating snack?

Easiest way to do it is budget yourself. If you spend £20 a week in Asda you'll have a good feed each day, including breakfast (most important meal of the day), sandwiches that actually taste nice, and a cooked evening meal (not a snack). But for a while after I finished Uni I had to make my weekly shopping bill come to under a tenner, and I ate ok. Wasn't fun though.

EDIT:

I used to make sure I went shopping once a week and bought a weeks worth of shopping at a time. My flatmate would go to Tesco once a month, spend 4 x my weekly amount on food and run out in 2-2.5 weeks time. This was because half his money he spent on biscuits, cake and other snacks which he didn't need, and only served to increase his weight.

Edited by snappel

I nip back home about every 3 weeks for a chance to see old mates as well as a chance to get as much shopping as possible. Cost to me £0 (Y)

I went to sainsburys the other week and spent £22 and it didnt last me more than about a week B)

Sweet and sour chicken tonight cooked and paid for by my housemate B) yum

I spent way more at uni on food than i do now. I have a netto and iceland five mins away. Iceland is actually the best shop ever, there own brand is as nice (a lot of things are nicer) than birdseye, etc.

Iceland is officially awesome, first time i went there i was 'this is gonna come to £20+ easily' and was shocked when it came in at a little over a tenner awesome. And if you spend £25+ you can get free home delivery

Mike

Go pick it up yourselves you lazy sloths!!! I have a car but even when the weather is nice I prefer to ride or walk the mile and a half (each way, an 'all) to Asda.

yeah but if you didn't have a car and lived a few miles away, the free home delivery would make it worth the trip as they say.

I ain't that lazy, i walk... tis good except icelands bags are shite!

The best thing was I worked in Sainsburys and they were so stuoid that it was five finger discount every friday and saturday night without fail.

Then I quit cough cough got the sack kinda, long story.

I went shopping once a week eithe ron my own inwhich case I walked or got a lift with mates to Sainsburys where my discount card came in useful.

10 Bags hanging from each arm/handlebar.

Thats why you take a rucksack with you, surprising how much you can get in one if you pack neatly.

Go pick it up yourselves you lazy sloths!!! I have a car but even(!!!) when the weather is nice I prefer to ride or walk the mile and a half (each way, an 'all) to Asda.

You wouldnt want to walk/ride up the half mile of hill I live up. You would prefer to go to the co-op 5 minutes away which is twice as expensive... and id prefer to coast down the hill, get it cheap and get it delivered (free).

Saying that, I am a lazy sloth (Y)

You wouldnt want to walk/ride up the half mile of hill I live up. You would prefer to go to the co-op 5 minutes away which is twice as expensive... and id prefer to coast down the hill, get it cheap and get it delivered (free).

Saying that, I am a lazy sloth (Y)

Didnt stop me from walking to the shop I ived on a massive hil aswell.

Tesco noodles - 8p - fit for a king ;)

Sainsburys also do the 8p noodles.

They are ectually pretty damn good. I normally add a few dried chilli flakes for some extra bite, but basicly as good as the 40p Super Noodles. Can get a weeks worth of lunchtime food for less than a squid!! Bargain :P

Hmm ok I challenge you to walk down to the shop (somerfield) where I live.. get £25 worth of shopping and carry it back up, let me know next time your in aber so we can put some money on it ;)

Dont ge tme wrong this is a big hill, Im at thew top of a hioll and the town is down in the valley.

The other reason for walking was to gander in the Ferarri deal, all 3 off them.

I was going to go to your uni to study geography but then I swa Exeter and then Royal Holloway had just as good geography departments.

If you spent £25 on feeding yourself for the next 6 weeks, then I'm guessing you don't have much money to spend. Now I know I could live off under £5 a week's food if I went to Asda (or wherever), but I wouldn't enjoy it. So I'm assuming you're running out of money. If this is so, why are you buying B&J ice cream, Subway and spending £2.99 in Boots on a drink (water is cheaper), sandwich (make your own - cheaper) and a healthy eating snack?

Easiest way to do it is budget yourself. If you spend £20 a week in Asda you'll have a good feed each day, including breakfast (most important meal of the day), sandwiches that actually taste nice, and a cooked evening meal (not a snack). But for a while after I finished Uni I had to make my weekly shopping bill come to under a tenner, and I ate ok. Wasn't fun though.

EDIT:

I used to make sure I went shopping once a week and bought a weeks worth of shopping at a time. My flatmate would go to Tesco once a month, spend 4 x my weekly amount on food and run out in 2-2.5 weeks time. This was because half his money he spent on biscuits, cake and other snacks which he didn't need, and only served to increase his weight.

I forgot to mention that i actually stay at uni mon - weds. which makes it total bout 3 weeks. ;) :P

so should be just right.

also, i spend as little as possible so i can spend money my loan on more important things ;) hehe

cheers

dan

Hmm ok I challenge you to walk down to the shop (somerfield) where I live.. get £25 worth of shopping and carry it back up, let me know next time your in aber so we can put some money on it ;)

haha indeed that is a v. large steep hill, tried riding up it when i was visiting my brother (he works in argos) lol, he live right up the top, will have to ride with you next time im up there

Ben

Saying that, I am a lazy sloth ;)

That's 'cos Aber uni is built on a hill they decided to make to emulate Mt. Everest though, Tom. Aber uni takes the piss in that sense :P