The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

I personally joined the gym thinking i was going to work some areas which i know would help biking.. now.. its kinda taken over riding..in the last 4 weeks ive ridden probably twice? max.. for 20 -30 mins.. i cant even remember the last time i rode. But ive been to the gym probably.. 12+ times. Its seriously addictive and ive gone past the point of caring about it helping my riding i just want to beat the weights which will never happen but its fun trying.

I find that since i started going to the gym, me, myself, feel ALOT better and more self confident, I can throw my bike around alot easier aswell, i usually do body building type lifting, so its obiously helping...

I personally joined the gym thinking i was going to work some areas which i know would help biking.. now.. its kinda taken over riding..in the last 4 weeks ive ridden probably twice? max.. for 20 -30 mins.. i cant even remember the last time i rode. But ive been to the gym probably.. 12+ times. Its seriously addictive and ive gone past the point of caring about it helping my riding i just want to beat the weights which will never happen but its fun trying.

ditto mate! lol

but i ride most weekends, (probably 3 times for the last 4 months? hehe) the last 3 weeks iv been out riding every sunday.

Mainly cause its too dark on a night, everyone has quit trials, everyone lives over 5 miles away from me, and some people are working lol

So i go to the nayse for a sesh!

It really does amaze me what lengths pro riders go to in order to be the best. They dont just ride, they give up their whole life to stay at the top in trials. Im pretty sure the majority of world level riders go to the gym regularly and do some kind or weight training, whether it for fast twitch or slow twitch muscles. I have been a member of my local gym for a while now but sometimes dont get to go more than once a week, I would rather just ride to be honest. I seemed to have gained weight since going though, I did weigh about 11 stone exactly a couple of months ago, now I weigh 12 (73kgs?). This isnt a great amount considering im 6ft2. I do very little cardio when im in there, I just train a mixture of muscle groups with weights/weight machines (not electronic, pin weight style ones).

yeah it is a great confidence builder and great for overall health , if youa re a young guy just keep riding trials for a while...you have along time ahead of you for everything :)

Yeh Im 15, I enjoy riding over most other things. Im very much healthy, but could brush up on strength possibly.<_<

I found now im geting of size and much stronger, i tend to snap bars and chains much easier <_< lol

i started training at the jym when i was 20 weighing 9.5 stone @5'9" , had a bit of a brake for 5 months when i was 21, now im nearly 23 (ish) and weigh 11 stone ... and i have an extreamly low body fat -not sure what exactly, but must be around 6-8% mark

What I have noticed since going to the gym is that I have become stronger, throwing around a bmx has become a lot easier and also I havent had any problems with my back and arms. I used to get loads of pains in my arms and back from riding.

Yeah, same ere!

Iv been riding alot easier without any pain or anything.

My legs still hurt once and a while, but thats it really.

#1 reason to start lifting for sports is to prevent injury.

Ryan in those pictures of you you are probably around 9-10 percent. 6%, like i said earlier, is not maintainable....9% is a very good number and most highly active athletes you see with chisled 6 pack abs are around this, the only people you see with 6% are bodybuilders right before/duing a competition..they are weak as f**k at this time because to be at 6% you have to be in such a large calorie deficit its rediculous. Anything under 5% is basically impossible, you won't have anythng to keep your organs warm :hs:

#1 reason to start lifting for sports is to prevent injury.

Ryan in those pictures of you you are probably around 9-10 percent. 6%, like i said earlier, is not maintainable....9% is a very good number and most highly active athletes you see with chisled 6 pack abs are around this, the only people you see with 6% are bodybuilders right before/duing a competition..they are weak as f**k at this time because to be at 6% you have to be in such a large calorie deficit its rediculous. Anything under 5% is basically impossible, you won't have anythng to keep your organs warm :hs:

yea prob am more then.. to be honest, i no a lot about the workings and how to get big, and i no quite a fair ammount about steroids etc... but im not clued up on body fat.. the 6% was a guess , comparing to other people that know there actual % i have got poss 1% more body fat on me there than usuall, as in that pic , i had been filling my face till i felt sick with chicken, noodles, rice etcetc for about 2 weeks before.. (Y)

Meh i'm not gonna get too invoved into this thread because it's annoying me....Folk really aren't modest at all are they?!?!?!

Was bench pressing 90 kilos, 15 reps both today and 2 days ago at th' gym though...I was chuffed...

Thats alot of reps for the amount of weight...

I would have thought you would struggle getting 10 reps out (not saying you never got 15) but i doubt you did :D

P.S i got 75KG for the first time (Y) 1 rep though :) i tryed 2 and nearly droped it on me :wub:

Thats alot of reps for the amount of weight...

I would have thought you would struggle getting 10 reps out (not saying you never got 15) but i doubt you did :P

P.S i got 75KG for the first time (Y) 1 rep though :) i tryed 2 and nearly droped it on me :wub:

Did a set of 10, then had a bit of a pause and somehow spurred out another 5 :D, so it's a bit of both a suppose...

• 2 years later...

I have started doing some sit-ups and shit for the past 2 weeks, but they aren't in any sort of structure.

Should I structure my work out thingies?

I think I'll probably join the gym, but I would rather do it at home.

So far I have been doing press-ups on open hands and fists, sit-ups and those other things. Dunno what they're called,I put my legs on a chair and my hands behind me on the edge of the radiator, and go up and down.

I have started to watch what I am eating a bit. I'm planning to get some weights soon I think, getting them home will be a fanny. Hopefully my Mum will take me to Argos at the weekend. I'm not puff, the nearest Argos is 10miles away, and the train station is 3 miles away.