The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

I have started doing some sit-ups and shit for the past 2 weeks, but they aren't in any sort of structure.

Should I structure my work out thingies?

I think I'll probably join the gym, but I would rather do it at home.

So far I have been doing press-ups on open hands and fists, sit-ups and those other things. Dunno what they're called,I put my legs on a chair and my hands behind me on the edge of the radiator, and go up and down.

I have started to watch what I am eating a bit. I'm planning to get some weights soon I think, getting them home will be a fanny. Hopefully my Mum will take me to Argos at the weekend. I'm not puff, the nearest Argos is 10miles away, and the train station is 3 miles away.

structure is better, it makes you do it instead of saying "i think i'll do some training tonight" then watching tv or something.

Press ups are good, both open hand and on fists, I normally do 10 open/10 on knuckles/10 with hand clap, then repeat until I can do no more. sit's are also good but do you find them easyish, if you do you should go one side then the other side and so on. those other things are called tricep dips I think, why don't you just put your hands on the chair and feet on the floor.

if you plan on building muscle for trials you should buy a medicine ball, a skipping rope and some dumbells if you want them if you're just doing it for the ladies then get a benchpress, pull up bar and some protein (Read steriods, if you want to take the risk of growing tits)

if you are doing it for trials then the skipping rope and medicine ball will help you with plyometrics, but you must build up a fair amount of muscle in the area you want to work because it will be intense.

Sex ?

Ur not normal muel ..

Shut up.

Bump of the f**king year?

And you.

structure is better, it makes you do it instead of saying "i think i'll do some training tonight" then watching tv or something.

Press ups are good, both open hand and on fists, I normally do 10 open/10 on knuckles/10 with hand clap, then repeat until I can do no more. sit's are also good but do you find them easyish, if you do you should go one side then the other side and so on. those other things are called tricep dips I think, why don't you just put your hands on the chair and feet on the floor.

if you plan on building muscle for trials you should buy a medicine ball, a skipping rope and some dumbells if you want them if you're just doing it for the ladies then get a benchpress, pull up bar and some protein (Read steriods, if you want to take the risk of growing tits)

if you are doing it for trials then the skipping rope and medicine ball will help you with plyometrics, but you must build up a fair amount of muscle in the area you want to work because it will be intense.

Thanks for that, it's given me some more stuff to think about.

whats ur lot's motivation?

Progression

it's like trials you start to become de-motivated when it takes longer to progress, ie when you start reaching your limits or when your just starting out. up until that point you just want to keep lifting heavier and heavier 50kgs one week then 55 kgs the next and so on until you've reached you're limits or your personal targets then you start going for reps and stuff. it's easy to become addicted.

The refreshing pain is pretty good too, when your hurting the next day but it's ok because you know its all part of moving on to the next stage.

motivation, surely its that point when your there grunting and hissing as you put the bar back in the rack and then look round. and theres some lycrad up tart with big breasts bouncing up and down on the running machine, "im doing it for that".

im actually finding it pretty hard to get motivated right now, its winter, all me body wants to do is pile on fat, which is real annoying, although insulating.

haha I was gonna say that but thought it sounded a bit shallow :P

being insulated is my biggest problem i'm always cold, to the extent where I have to wear three or four layers before going out on the warmer days just now and at least a t + hoody in my house. it's shit because i'm wearing so much clothes my mum refuses to wash them all because apparently it's not cold enough to wear all those clothes allright for her to say with a layer of fat keeping her snug.

I dunno, I like the like refreshing pain you get after you've done a set. And like the satisfaction of you're building noticable muscle.

Same. It's an amazing feeling when your just dead. Strange really.

Also find music helps, especially with headphones in. Helps to seperate you from everyone else so you can focus more on what your doing.

They never feel tight really, all my joints feel well flexy?

Different kind of taining (Y)

If you rip the muscles to pieces to build them, you can't move for shit. If you train like you must, you'll feel better afterwards.

I used to train my biceps until i couldn't touch my nose, which, when done with proper technique, the right weights and the right kinds of lifts, can be 15 minutes for a complete bicep session.

Different kind of taining (Y)

If you rip the muscles to pieces to build them, you can't move for shit. If you train like you must, you'll feel better afterwards.

I used to train my biceps until i couldn't touch my nose, which, when done with proper technique, the right weights and the right kinds of lifts, can be 15 minutes for a complete bicep session.

I do that, I do weights until i can barely move, then like you get the feeling back in your body and it like hurts and aches, but proper flexy?

feel like getting a bit bigger in general, but ive got know idea where to start

im 16 stone, 6ft and not fat

anyone got any pointers/programs or anything if youre a similar weight/height to me?

erm, loads on the calories, carbs and protein. as much water as you can, then for mass building. stuff like squats, deadlifts, chin up, bench press should be your staple training diet, then chucking in other exercises to compliment them/finish you off.

obviously if you feel your lacking in a certain muscle, train it harder.

as for what kind of program, start at training 3 times per week, ideally for somewhere between an 45 minutes to 75 minutes. with the exercises above. start at like 3 sets of 10-12 reps(supposedly you should do less reps to build mass, but as its all about what works for you, and 3 sets of 10-12 is a nice starting point). then just mix it up till you find something that works best for you.(by which time youll probably read up on it on places likes muscletalk.co.uk etc).

weight should be heavy enough so that your almost having to/having to break form on the last rep, if your having to continually bounce the bar off your chest or swing your back into movements, then its too heavy, if you can do it and aint grunting, hisssing and squirming, its too light.

im getting really really demotivated at the moment, need to do cardio, but its just soo boring. also really annoyed that dhl have lost my protein. trained twice this week. and just done press ups/crunches on the other days.

erm, loads on the calories, carbs and protein. as much water as you can, then for mass building. stuff like squats, deadlifts, chin up, bench press should be your staple training diet, then chucking in other exercises to compliment them/finish you off.

obviously if you feel your lacking in a certain muscle, train it harder.

as for what kind of program, start at training 3 times per week, ideally for somewhere between an 45 minutes to 75 minutes. with the exercises above. start at like 3 sets of 10-12 reps(supposedly you should do less reps to build mass, but as its all about what works for you, and 3 sets of 10-12 is a nice starting point). then just mix it up till you find something that works best for you.(by which time youll probably read up on it on places likes muscletalk.co.uk etc).

weight should be heavy enough so that your almost having to/having to break form on the last rep, if your having to continually bounce the bar off your chest or swing your back into movements, then its too heavy, if you can do it and aint grunting, hisssing and squirming, its too light.

im getting really really demotivated at the moment, need to do cardio, but its just soo boring. also really annoyed that dhl have lost my protein. trained twice this week. and just done press ups/crunches on the other days.

Thats helped alot, cheers.

gotta go buy some weights that take effort to lift now

Edited by jebend

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a bump, So i got a decnt amount of weights for christmas, I think about 75kg, which is a decent enough amount to start off with.

My starting stats are:

Bench:60kg

Deadlift:75+kg, Need more weight.

Squat: cant do them.

I weigh 59-60kg so My bench is ok I reckon but I know squats are probaly the most important of the three and Because I don't have a squat rack I'm only able to small weight and lots of reps, cos I dont fancy trying to shift 50+ kg over my head, so is there any other alternative to squats?

My workout is as follows, pick apart as you like:

Workout :

Bench 3x5

Pendlay Row 3x5

Overhead press 3x5

Deadlift 1x5

Press ups 10x5

weighted sit ups 25x2

Pull up 2x5

Chin ip 2x5.

Id like to follow the rippetoe workout exactly, but with out the squat I don't see the point, So do you reckon that my work out with be sufficient?