The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

• 4 weeks later...

HI,

First post in this thread but i am in need of some cardio help :)

My main problem is i hate running as i am exhausted after minutes but i can cycle for a good while on the bike (an hour atleast) in the gym but now the winter is coming i won't be attending the gym as often but i will be doing it at home after dark as i would like to make the most of the light to ride trials (one of the reasons i am doing this) so what are some cardio alternatives that are out of the gym and wont cost me much such as a low cost hobby i could take up?

Adam.

HI,

First post in this thread but i am in need of some cardio help :)

My main problem is i hate running as i am exhausted after minutes but i can cycle for a good while on the bike (an hour atleast) in the gym but now the winter is coming i won't be attending the gym as often but i will be doing it at home after dark as i would like to make the most of the light to ride trials (one of the reasons i am doing this) so what are some cardio alternatives that are out of the gym and wont cost me much such as a low cost hobby i could take up?

Adam.

Adam what is the main goal you want to achieve with your cardio? For example fat loss, fitness or are you preparing for an event/race? Everyone hates running, I can't stand it believe me! But if I am cutting up or have the intention of losing fat then I know that the most effective way to burn fat (along side a clean low carb diet) is sprint/interval training. I also keep my attendance to the gym consistent throughout the year. The only thing that changes is my diet and training routine depending on whether I am bulking through the winter or cutting up for summer.

If you aren't overly concerned about weight training or aesthetics and are more interested in fitness you could look at sports such as football, rugby or boxing.

Thanks for the reply Jonny, my main aim of my cardio is to keep fit in general alongside doing weights. So there is no real aim of the cardio other than i would like to be able to fight and ride for longer at a better level and have a higher standard of health in general. I will still be doing weights just not at the gym as i plan on making some from some steel bar with some interchangeable sized pieced of metal to go on either side. Overall the weights are the most important aspect to me but i was reading that i need both to reap the full benefits.

Got any tips for running? Does riding long distance on a mtb on the roads work just aswell?

EDIT - Are there any alternative to protein shakes as my mum won't let me buy any over the net (cant afford high street prices) as her brother took body building too far when he was my age and used alot of these sort of substances and had raw egg with nearly everything. Will be training in the gym with him next year as he has unfortunately suffered a severe case of guillain barre syndrome and has lost all his muscle and no has the strength of an 10year old atm :(

Edited by bike_dummie

Completely disagree with the previous comments about creatine and preWO - I have used both successfully.

Protein shakes are designed as alternatives to high protein foods for convenience not the other way round so you should explore these first.

6 foot, 100kgs if anyone cares haha!

Thanks for the reply Jonny, my main aim of my cardio is to keep fit in general alongside doing weights. So there is no real aim of the cardio other than i would like to be able to fight and ride for longer at a better level and have a higher standard of health in general. I will still be doing weights just not at the gym as i plan on making some from some steel bar with some interchangeable sized pieced of metal to go on either side. Overall the weights are the most important aspect to me but i was reading that i need both to reap the full benefits.

Got any tips for running? Does riding long distance on a mtb on the roads work just aswell?

EDIT - Are there any alternative to protein shakes as my mum won't let me buy any over the net (cant afford high street prices) as her brother took body building too far when he was my age and used alot of these sort of substances and had raw egg with nearly everything. Will be training in the gym with him next year as he has unfortunately suffered a severe case of guillain barre syndrome and has lost all his muscle and no has the strength of an 10year old atm :(

No problem man, it's good to remain fit and agile while gaining muscle mass. I can see the benefits of both weight training and cardio, There is no problem with training at home or using whatever is available to you. You can train with anything! A combination of self bodyweight exercises and freeweight exercises can build a great physique and strong core.

My cardio/running when i'm cutting up is a combination of circuit training for conditioning, hill sprints and high intensity interval training. I prefer not to run on machines so I set out 2 cones on a field around 100m apart and then use distance intervals rather than time intervals - this is just down to preference. I don't know much about running or cardio, however I would say that its good to combine different sports such as climbing, swimming, cycling and running to keep it interesting. I'm sure cycling long distances will help as it will slowly burn fat, low intensity will prevent muscle atrophy and you will build up endurance which should help with other cycling disciplines. As I said though I don't know too much about cardio!

If you are trying to increase your protein intake but can't buy off the internet and would prefer not to use protein supplements you should try your best to get the right protein intake through your diet. For example, for breakfast you could have 4 scrambled eggs with 3 of the yokes removed, another meal might be a tuna or chicken sandwich with half a cup of cashew or almond nuts, your pre workout meal could be chicken or tuna pasta and then postworkout try to have a another high protein meal. Furthermore you could have cottage cheese before bed to increase your protein intake. I know its difficult but it is achievable - I don't have protein at the minute so I think about each meal to fuel my training! Even if its sausage and beans on toast I know that they are good because they are full of fibre, protein and complex carbs. The only downside is the bean sauce that's tomato based is often high in salt (like really high) and is made up of some sugars. I just drain off half the excess sauce its in :)

Completely disagree with the previous comments about creatine and preWO - I have used both successfully.

Protein shakes are designed as alternatives to high protein foods for convenience not the other way round so you should explore these first.

6 foot, 100kgs if anyone cares haha!

100% agree, these supplements are very useful when used alongside a good diet.

Sounds like your a good size there mate.

Thanks for all the info, you've been a great help Jonny :)

Personally, I'd recommend swimming if you wanting to get into better shape. Running is ok but in all honesty, most people run with such bad technique that you're only likely to quit because of boredom or injury. Swimming and Cycling will not only provide massive boosts to your cardiovascular fitness but will also increase muscular strength as well - hence why most cyclists have tree trunk legs and most swimmers have killer upper body definition (If you don't believe me, look at Olympic swimmers and cyclists). Swimming lengths in a public pool is a really cheap way to stay in shape, you can do it all year round and it's relatively fun I guess. I'd recommend swimming freestyle with a breathing pattern of every 5 strokes, if you can't manage 5, 3 is also pretty good and much more achievable.

Also, on another note to some people. Posting your height and weight does not mean you are muscular, strong or even in good shape. BMI (which is pretty much what you are posting) is the least accurate method of body analysis. I'm not trying to discourage or offend anyone, if you are happy with your body then great for you, if not then that's why they created gyms in the first place.

Oh yeah, if anyone wants to ask me questions, please feel free to do so - I have a BSc in Sport and Exercise Science and to be honest, it gives me personal enjoyment to help others out as much as I can with the information that I have learnt.

Agree on BMI, but also posting height and weight does not mean you are not muscular, strong or in bad shape.

Before working full time I used to have body fat measured regularly as I was training regularly and peaked at 8.9% and was still 6 foot and around 15.5 stone.

I know you preempted it by saying your not trying to offend anyone but the way you phrased that paragraph was very condescending...

Agree on BMI, but also posting height and weight does not mean you are not muscular, strong or in bad shape.

Before working full time I used to have body fat measured regularly as I was training regularly and peaked at 8.9% and was still 6 foot and around 15.5 stone.

I know you preempted it by saying your not trying to offend anyone but the way you phrased that paragraph was very condescending...

Well I didn't mean to be condescending but a lot of people were doing it and it was starting to become ridiculous (IMO) purely because being tall and weighing a set amount does not indicate in the slightest what your body looks like in terms of muscle composition and muscular definition. Also, what method of body analysis did you use? 8.9% is actually ok but it does really depend on your age and fitness.

When I first started weight training I used to ache so much, after a few months I don't get the aches a day or so after like I used to. Is that normal?

Yes and No.

Your body adapts to being able to deal with stress so it recovers quicker but, if you are trying to get 'pumped' then it's good to stress and push your body within sensible limits.

Stress -> adaptation.

I.e if you are still doing the same reps or weights that you first started with then it's not going to be beneficial and that's why you won't ache.

Make sense?

I've just started going back to the gym after having about a year off, basically I tried to do my old routine for my bicep and triceps and hammered them.

Now my biceps feel as though they have contracted and not returning, I can't straighten my arms fully, any tips to recover a bit quicker because its very uncomfortable and painful when trying to straighten them for everyday tasks.

The first one back will ache for a while always does! Try and get some good recovery food in (protein) and good amount of fluids and sleep! If its real bad get some amino acids but I'll imagine itll go pretty soon.

I remember the first time I ever went gym I done everything and literally couldn't move!

I've just started going back to the gym after having about a year off, basically I tried to do my old routine for my bicep and triceps and hammered them.

Now my biceps feel as though they have contracted and not returning, I can't straighten my arms fully, any tips to recover a bit quicker because its very uncomfortable and painful when trying to straighten them for everyday tasks.

As painful as it is, you are going to need to stretch it out. It will feel a lot better after, yeah you can eat/drink protein and sleep it off but I've found the quickest way is to literally stretch through the pain, do it slowly and you'll be fine. It will still ache but you'll have a normal range of movement back. It will go after a few days.

As a side note, you should never take that amount of time off and jump back into your old routine, you risk some pretty back damage to your body and I wouldn't be surprised now if you ached for around 3 days. If this is the case, stretching will become your best friend ;)

Hey guys... New to this thread, don't fancy reading through 80 pages. Quote this comment so I get a notification.

Basically, I'm joining the gym tomorrow, I'm not in it to get fit, I'm not in it to look 'toned' etc etc. I'm doing it with trials in mind, I've found myself getting tired quickly during trials and want to be able to ride longer. I can ride for 5 hours, but I can't ride a 'line' like in competitions for long before I have to stop. It's mainly my triceps, wrists/forearm, letting me down.

Any tips would be appriciated, what machines to use, weights, techniques, drinks etc etc. I'm a 100% newb to this, I've been to a gym before and used the equipment but treat me like a 100% newb please :D

Hey guys... New to this thread, don't fancy reading through 80 pages. Quote this comment so I get a notification.

Basically, I'm joining the gym tomorrow, I'm not in it to get fit, I'm not in it to look 'toned' etc etc. I'm doing it with trials in mind, I've found myself getting tired quickly during trials and want to be able to ride longer. I can ride for 5 hours, but I can't ride a 'line' like in competitions for long before I have to stop. It's mainly my triceps, wrists/forearm, letting me down.

Any tips would be appriciated, what machines to use, weights, techniques, drinks etc etc. I'm a 100% newb to this, I've been to a gym before and used the equipment but treat me like a 100% newb please :D

Yay, I can help you learn gym stuff and you can teach me trials :D

Ok, firstly you are going to want to invest in a powerball (it's those little balls that you spin in your hand) because that's going to increase the strength and fatigue resistance of your wrists and forearms which ultimately means you will be able to grip the bars better and for longer.

For triceps and upper body, you can get on a rowing machine and do a lot of distance at a low intensity. That again, will help the fatigue resistance of your upper body muscles. If not a rowing machine, some gyms have hand cycles (it's like riding a bike but you use your hands instead of your feet) that will do the same job.

If they don't have one of those machines (which I'm sure most gyms do!) then you are going to want to do weights, exercises like tricep pulls (you can find exactly how on walls in the gym, ask a personal trainer or I can show you if you come worthing on sunday:D) pull ups, chest fly's or chest presses will also be good.

Basically though, because you are training for endurance and not strength, you want to keep the weight low and the reps high

Also, as for drinks - you could probably benefit from something sugary when you ride as this replaces used glycogen in the muscles, hence why I drink strong squash ;)

• Like 1

Yay, I can help you learn gym stuff and you can teach me trials :D

Ok, firstly you are going to want to invest in a powerball (it's those little balls that you spin in your hand) because that's going to increase the strength and fatigue resistance of your wrists and forearms which ultimately means you will be able to grip the bars better and for longer.

For triceps and upper body, you can get on a rowing machine and do a lot of distance at a low intensity. That again, will help the fatigue resistance of your upper body muscles. If not a rowing machine, some gyms have hand cycles (it's like riding a bike but you use your hands instead of your feet) that will do the same job.

If they don't have one of those machines (which I'm sure most gyms do!) then you are going to want to do weights, exercises like tricep pulls (you can find exactly how on walls in the gym, ask a personal trainer or I can show you if you come worthing on sunday:D) pull ups, chest fly's or chest presses will also be good.

Basically though, because you are training for endurance and not strength, you want to keep the weight low and the reps high

Also, as for drinks - you could probably benefit from something sugary when you ride as this replaces used glycogen in the muscles, hence why I drink strong squash ;)

Haha that sounds good ;)

Okay, I'll buy one of those today, this one good? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000OT8JQO/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9550953069&ref=asc_df_B000OT8JQO

And okay that sounds good, I got told dead lifts are good to do for trials? And my gym has everything I think, it even has weird leg machines that I've not seen in many other places. I'll be using them to build my thighs. And yeah, I'm training for endurance but I want strength at the same time (so it'll help with sidehops, gaps, and making moves easier in general). I'll see if I can get there on Sunday, and aha thanks for that I heard that before. If you have high weights and low reps... I don't understand, that makes you stronger, bulkier, but not as much endurance?

And, would these be good for drinks?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lucozade-Sport-Body-Orange-Servings/dp/B0029Z9T10/ref=sr_1_3?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1354276809&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lucozade-Sport-750-Shaker-Bottle/dp/B0029Z9T0Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1354276809&sr=1-1

Haha that sounds good ;)

Okay, I'll buy one of those today, this one good? http://www.amazon.co...c_df_B000OT8JQO

And okay that sounds good, I got told dead lifts are good to do for trials? And my gym has everything I think, it even has weird leg machines that I've not seen in many other places. I'll be using them to build my thighs. And yeah, I'm training for endurance but I want strength at the same time (so it'll help with sidehops, gaps, and making moves easier in general). I'll see if I can get there on Sunday, and aha thanks for that I heard that before. If you have high weights and low reps... I don't understand, that makes you stronger, bulkier, but not as much endurance?

And, would these be good for drinks?

http://www.amazon.co...54276809&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.co...54276809&sr=1-1

The powerball will be fine, Powerball is the name of the brand so as long as it's that then it will work well. Also, I wouldn't bother buying lukozade powdered mixes purely because they taste like crap and you can make the same thing by mixing double concentration squash (even supermarkets own brand) with a pinch of salt - and that's much cheaper too!

Ok so:

Endurance : Low weights, High reps - the ability to do something for a prolonged amount of time will only come from practice

Strength : High weights, Low reps - pushing your body to it's max and thus training for strength.

So if you want both, you have to find a balance of a decent weight and a good amount of reps (12-14 reps, with around 3 sets)

As for deadlifts, I wouldn't bother. Too easy to get the technique wrong and do some serious damage to your back. Squats with freeweights in your hand are a much better alternative and that's going to increase the power you can generate from your legs. Just make sure you do it infront of a mirror so you can adjust your technique.

Like I say though, rowing will become your best friend because it trains pretty much all the muscles involved in trials, and you can make it as explosive (good for generating power and increasing strength) or as 'relaxing' as you like (good for endurance)

Think I've covered all what you said? (Y)

• Like 1

The powerball will be fine, Powerball is the name of the brand so as long as it's that then it will work well. Also, I wouldn't bother buying lukozade powdered mixes purely because they taste like crap and you can make the same thing by mixing double concentration squash (even supermarkets own brand) with a pinch of salt - and that's much cheaper too!

Ok so:

Endurance : Low weights, High reps - the ability to do something for a prolonged amount of time will only come from practice

Strength : High weights, Low reps - pushing your body to it's max and thus training for strength.

So if you want both, you have to find a balance of a decent weight and a good amount of reps (12-14 reps, with around 3 sets)

As for deadlifts, I wouldn't bother. Too easy to get the technique wrong and do some serious damage to your back. Squats with freeweights in your hand are a much better alternative and that's going to increase the power you can generate from your legs. Just make sure you do it infront of a mirror so you can adjust your technique.

Like I say though, rowing will become your best friend because it trains pretty much all the muscles involved in trials, and you can make it as explosive (good for generating power and increasing strength) or as 'relaxing' as you like (good for endurance)

Think I've covered all what you said? (Y)

Joined my gym today, £21 a month until I'm 18 (8 months, then it's £35 ish). And I got a Christmas deal which makes it free until the 15th of January which is perfect.

Bought a packet containing loads of different energy powder, gels etc so I can try them out. I fancy getting one of those 1000ml tubs to use for energy drinks, just need to research and find the best one for me.

Now that I've joined the gym, should I still bother with a powerball? I've read in places about it, and they say it's not much of a workout, but more of a toy?

I think I understand the endurance/strength thing now, I'll probably start with low weights, high reps and slowly go heavier over time with the same amount of reps, making me stronger whilst building the endurance onto heavier/harder stuff.

I'll probably do deadlifts and freeweights but I'll start small and get the technique nailed, then move onto bigger stuff if I like it, for minimal chance of injury.

You're a great help, thanks!

I'd start by just using the bar for deadlifting without any weight on dude, just to get the technique nailed. Don't worry thinking people will think your weird by lifting just an empty bar.

I worried more about getting the technique right and not doing myself an injury than what people thought.

Edited by LiamWood!
  • Like 1

I'd start by just using the bar for deadlifting without any weight on dude, just to get the technique nailed. Don't worry thinking people will think your weird by lifting just an empty bar.

I worried more about getting the technique right and not doing myself an injury than what people thought.

Most standard bars weigh 20kg anyway so it's enough to get the technique right.

As for the powerball, probably not if you've joined a gym cus you probably won't use it :P

• Like 1

You guys have helped loads! I got a starter drinks pack thing from a bike shop, and I've decided that I'm going to buy a 1kg tub of powder, but at the moment I'm just trying to find one that isn't too expensive, and trying to figure out exactly what I need.

On a ride today, I used the packet labeled 'fuel' and I felt more energized during riding, and when I got back I used the 'recover' packet, both were 50g and both used 500ml water. Taste wasn't as bad as I expected, but I'll see how well the recover drinks works when I wake up in the morning.

Any recommendations to what tubs I should get? And should I bother with a 'during' the exercise drink, or just focus on the after? I've noticed there's a drink you can take before, but that sounds excessive... :/