The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

Give it a go!

Yeah that's what I felt, like I could pick up 100+kg but the more weight I added to the bar (started at around 50kg) the more I couldn't hold my shoulders back. I feel absolutely fine this morning so my form can't have been too bad, definitely something I need to work on though.

This is what I did, hello bruised palms :P

Out of interest, what are your stats body wise having done cross fit? Everyone I've seen that does it are like 90 kg and 10%bf!

I did 10 reps of 40kg today

wasn't easy but I got it

I ll try 45kg next time

I m 173cm/5feet8

and at the moment 77kg

don't have big arms/shoulders/pecs

but I ve got big legs

i ve done around 1year of crossfit in a shitty gym, but I had to stop because I injured my shoulder(tendon tear)

I ve been doing crossfit again now in a way better gym for 3 month(2month break because of injury)

besides the f**ked up shoulder, my lower back and my knees were shot too

overtraining=worst shit ever

duno about the bodyfat

I would say around 15%

This may be answered somewhere in this thread, but I don't have time to read all 85 pages!

I'm joining a gym with a friend for two reasons:

1) I'd like to shift my ridiculous pot belly - I'm not a big guy, I'm 6ft2 and fairly skinny in most places, so having a big gut is just stupid looking.

2) I'd like to build up my stamina for running, riding etc... Generally just be fitter.

Any pointers on a good routine that'll help?

I'm not looking to bulk up massively or anything like that, just shift a little weight and tone up a bit.

I'm posting here as I bet someone is doing a weekly routine for the same reasons.

Cheers!

80% diet

20% work out

watch what you eat ;)

edit: didn't ment that in a bad way

but if you're close to your natural bodywheight and not extremely fat

It's harder to loose those last pounds of fat

so just working out without changing your diet may not work

depends on the person though

good luck ;)

Edited by chimpanzyyyy

I did 10 reps of 40kg today

wasn't easy but I got it

I ll try 45kg next time

I m 173cm/5feet8

and at the moment 77kg

don't have big arms/shoulders/pecs

but I ve got big legs

i ve done around 1year of crossfit in a shitty gym, but I had to stop because I injured my shoulder(tendon tear)

I ve been doing crossfit again now in a way better gym for 3 month(2month break because of injury)

besides the f**ked up shoulder, my lower back and my knees were shot too

overtraining=worst shit ever

duno about the bodyfat

I would say around 15%

Good work! Ah we are pretty similar- I'm 5'8 and 73.5kg (cutting), except my shoulders are where my bulk is and my legs are virtually non-existent. Probably around 18-20% bf.

Cross fit is something I'd really like to get into, will have to give it a try at some point, maybe summer when I'm back home.

I'd also like to retract my earlier statement that after deadlifts I feel ok, I do not. The pain is most definitely muscular rather than spinal, which is good - but I won't be going to the gym today!

@Mike: What are the aims of the guy you're going to the gym with? I'm guessing they are fairly similar to yours though, which in my experience helps a huge amount. I would go for a weight training regime combined with light cardio, and a calorie controlled diet. I use the MyFitnessPal to count my cals which is really good as it allows you to scan the barcode of your food in and has a HUGE database of brands/supermarket foods. You're a fairly tall guy so I'd say you want to limit your intake to around 2000 a day, but you'll soon work out what works and what doesn't for you. I've found I don't lose anything until I'm under 1750-ish. You could always look into intermittent fasting, where you do all your eating within a 4-8 hour period, as this has been proven really effective as a fat loss technique, but relies heavily on your schedule and you being able to work around the diet.

Hope some of that helps (Y)

• Like 1

Mike, also don't just think hammering cardio is the most effective way to lose weight. You want to concentrate on weights to cardio about 80/20, I'd also recommend signing up for a couple of classes like kettlecise or something as it makes it a whole lot more fun!

• Like 1

I like that this thread is picking up. :)

Never done crossfit or fat loss personally, so can't really comment with specifics, but IMO Mike the important thing is to enjoy whatever you do. Assuming you've done very little over the last few years, doing something and watching your diet a bit will see results whether it's in fat loss or muscle gain.

I don't enjoy trying to lose fat, so I don't. I eat a very clean diet but plenty of calories as I pretty much focus on powerlifting style training. All the heavy things. :P

They seem great! I've always had 2 big problems with my squat; not being able to squat low enough (safely) and not being able to sit back into it and keep my torso fairly straight up. New shoes have improved both so I'm happy.

Can't squat as much weight with the improved form but this morning was my 6th day training without left so might just be a bit tired. :P

Btw anyone who only squats parallel, have a google about the damage that can do to your knees. I believed for months that any lower than parallel would damage my knees until I damaged my knees and learnt how knees work - when you squat down as you would to do a poo, the knee joint wraps around the ball bit and supports the load, so that's where you want to stop the weight and start driving it back up. Can't believe how long it took me to find that out and now I have work to do to build my knees back up again. :angry:

Anyway, anyone with issues with flexibility or range of movement in squats (or Olympic lifts), try lifting shoes. :P

• Like 1

Cheers guys. Thanks "TrialsIsHard", that's helpful info. My gym buddy is going more for cardio than weight loss / building.

Yeah I had been told that weights are more effective.

We've found a local gym that's £19.99 a month, no contract. Ideal!

No worries! Argh seeing my username makes me hate it more :P I think I'm going to give intermittent fasting a go, but there's a real 'use it or lose it' policy when it comes to the muscle mass you already have. I'll be doing it towards May/ June time when I've been lifting properly for a good few months and built some mass up and will use it to finally reduce my body fat to where I want to be. In an ideal world...

Aren't they just running shoes? They're supposedly the worst shoes to lift in apparently. I read that on the Internet.

to be honest I do believe that now. I've been lifting in Aesics running shoes and my knees were getting properly f**ked. My lifty shoes really have seemed to make all the difference.

Deadlifted 150kg this morning. Not amazing considering I weigh nearly 100kg but getting there.

i got back into the gym in december, with the goal of making the 1000lbs (453kg) club where your combined deadlift, squat and bench equal or exceed this weight. i'm on 180 for deadlift, 160 for squat and 100 for bench, so i just need to sneak 13-14 more kg in and i'm there :D

Aren't they just running shoes? They're supposedly the worst shoes to lift in apparently. I read that on the Internet.

to be honest I do believe that now. I've been lifting in Aesics running shoes and my knees were getting properly f**ked. My lifty shoes really have seemed to make all the difference.

Deadlifted 150kg this morning. Not amazing considering I weigh nearly 100kg but getting there.

nicely done :)

i got back into the gym in december, with the goal of making the 1000lbs (453kg) club where your combined deadlift, squat and bench equal or exceed this weight. i'm on 180 for deadlift, 160 for squat and 100 for bench, so i just need to sneak 13-14 more kg in and i'm there :D

wtf? are you a bear or something?

that's some good numbers!

That's beast dude!

Thinking about it I'm barely in the the 300kg club! ;) Clearly still got some work to do.. my deadlift and squat is rubbish at the moment. High weight low reps for increasing squat strength right?

i usually mix it up. so i'll have high rep sessions with like 20-40 a side. concentrate on doing things with good form. don't worry about the weight or progressing to strong lifts quickly, a heavy weight lifted badly will do you more harm than good. and when you can squat big and deeper than everyone else you can be smug as you like about it. 5x5 is meant to be good for building strength. but i'm just wierd and get strong quite fast. i don't lean up for shit though :(

Starting to get pissed off with my bench. Been stuck at 70kg for ages. :( It's improving slowly but it's very very slow progress.

Yeh it is dead important to learn the correct form for things, and to ask other people for advice and stuff. Don't take everything as read though, prime example is ogre can squat barefoot, I've never been able to. Even running shoes are better for my than barefoot. :lol:

Hoping to match my PB squat of 100kg tomorrow with my new shoes. Did 100kg with running shoes on but only went parralel, new shoes allow me to get into a much better/deeper position so would be well happy to match it.

PBs for me are 70kg bench, 100kg squat and 150kg deadlift. Total of 320kg or 704lb so should soon be a member of the 750lb club if such a thing exists. :lol:

nicely done :)

Cheers dude, was crap form but I was pretty happy with it. 3 big plates plus change each side still looks big to me. :lol:

Might start posting stories here of my gym's residant liftbrah twat. Chats up every girl there with totally obvious "negging" lines, and offers unwanted advice to everyone there but me (because I glare at him a lot probably). f**king arsehole.

Edited by Muel
  • Like 1

biggest bench was around 70kg

biggest squat (parallel) 130kg (did 100kg deep)

biggest deadlift was 135kg and it was "easy" but very bad form and I injured my back

what about muscle ups? :D

I can do a few, but with a big swing

I was able to do 3 or 4 for in a row

now I m happy If i can make two :(

Here's one of my first ever, was so happy

trained for weeks to make it happen ;)

well it depends how you do it

I swing like a madman and the pop comes pretty much only from the hips

You can also do it with strictform

which is somehow possible if you re insanely strong and not too heavy

there are also some people to go inbetween

they don't swing but just raise the knees explosively then follow with the hips and then the arms

Squatted 120kg this morning, well happy. :)

With my 150kg deadlift and 70kg bench, that gives a total of 340kg, which is 748lb.

Getting the feeling that I might break 750lb before Ogre breaks 1000lb. :P

• Like 1