The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

Protein bars, cakes and cookies are available. Beef jerky has a high amount of protein in! Why no shakes?

The shake thing is more due to the heavyness I found. Its the consume soon after exercise (work) thing, however I then have a pretty easy but long ride home, combining that with a shake beforehand might not go so well.

• 8 months later...

Huuggee bump but i cant seem to find my answer anywhere else...

Carb blockers? Anygood?

My aim is to carry on building mass and gaining strength but i wanna loose abit of this fat i have accumulated over the winter. I know i eat alot of carbs, probably too many but i live at home still so my diet kinda follows what the rest if the family eats, not a bad diet but lots of pasta, potatoes ect. So my question is if i take them will they help me loose some of this fat and if they do will the cause me to loose/ stop gaining muscle mass in the process?

Thanks, Adam :)

Carb blockers? Anygood?

What's the science behind these? I find it hard to believe they work.

Edit:

Carb Blocker is extracted from white kidney bean which has been shown to prevent the body from properly digesting starch (carbohydrates).

Low carbohydrate diets have become extremely popular with those trying to lose weight but they can often prove difficult to fully implement. Carb Blocker allows users to significantly reduce the amount of calories that they absorb from starchy foods such as pasta, potatoes and bread without the hassle of dropping these foods completely from their daily routine.

The natural extract used in Carb Blocker works by preventing the enzyme alpha Amylase from breaking down carbohydrates into sugar and has been shown to reduce the amount of energy that the body can extract from starch.

The bold bit sounds like it would have the opposite effect! Your body needs to break down the starch into sugar so you can use it as energy. If you don't break it down and use it then your body stores it as fat...

The underlined bit might be true, but it's actually just a re-jig of the above bit in bold.

I'm no expert but it sounds like bollocks to me. Can't you just get your family meals to be served up with a slightly smaller portion of whatever the starchy item is?

[name=Adam@TartyBikes" post="2574546" timestamp="1394630744]

The bold bit sounds like it would have the opposite effect! Your body needs to break down the starch into sugar so you can use it as energy. If you don't break it down and use it then your body stores it as fat...

I'm no expert but it sounds like bollocks to me. Can't you just get your family meals to be served up with a slightly smaller portion of whatever the starchy item is?

I see where you're coming from and i have no real idea how it works but i have read that a percentage of carbs gets dumped into the larger intestine before digestion whilst the remaining ones will be utilised by the body?

In turn effectively reducing the fat put on from my high carb as the difested level being reduced causing less excess un used carbs?

I have but i cant reduce it too much or my meals would become too small as my mum usually uses food such as potatoes to bulk it out.

Edited by bike_dummie

Seriously, just eat less. Leave some potato/pasta/mars bar on the plate.

There's no point in putting time and effort into an idea that will have questionable results. If you want to lose some weight, start doing more cardio and eat the same amount or just eat less for guaranteed (and free) results.

Edited by ManxTrialSpaz

• 2 months later...

Bleurgh, after finally getting around to ordering some protein again I was on Hurricane XS from myprotein as I'd had it years ago and had pretty good results. First month ordered chocolate smooth which was unbelievably sweet so the next month I ordered unflavoured as I always used to have unflavoured whey. When I drank it it had a horrible bitter chemical taste to it so this month I've gone back to plain unflavoured whey protein and ordered seperate creatine and BCAA's though I went for the powdered BCAA to mix with my shake easily. Sadly I've just figured out what the rank taste was in the Hurricane, the BCAA in powdered form is f**king horrific!

• 6 months later...

Mega bump!

I've just knocked up a pull up bar in the garage. Any pointers on getting started?

I spent around 15 minutes on it today.. 3 x 3 wide grip pulls with 2 x 5 pull with a body crunch at the top and maybe 12 tight grip pulls..Feel pretty battered. So not a lot but I've not done a great deal of structured working out before.

Pick a number then just keep going till you hit it no matter how many sets it takes you, start off trying to hit 25 then build up to 30, 35, 40, etc...

I usually do wide grip pull ups as part of my work out and tuck my knees up to work abs as well, a good way to finish off a biceps session is to jump into a tight grip and slowly lower yourself over the space of a minute. I guarantee it will take a good few weeks before you can manage 4 sets of that, if it's easy then you're not working hard enough!

Get a curlywurly, and pin it to the roof then unwrap half of it.

Pull up and take a bite of the curlywurly, hold whilst you chew and swallow, continue until you've eaten all the curlywurly, do this twice a day for 6 weeks and you'll be hench.

Edited by Pashley26

Mega bump!

I've just knocked up a pull up bar in the garage. Any pointers on getting started?

I spent around 15 minutes on it today.. 3 x 3 wide grip pulls with 2 x 5 pull with a body crunch at the top and maybe 12 tight grip pulls..Feel pretty battered. So not a lot but I've not done a great deal of structured working out before.

Get some iron as well IMO, pull ups/press ups etc are great, but need teaming with all the other movements that matter, like overhead press, squats, deadlifts and some isolation stuff as well if you fancy.

I've just had a rest week as my joints were getting pretty rickety (knees especially), back to it tomorrow. Currently 214lbs, not decided whether to keep yolobulking or do some of that wierd homosexual "cutting" stuff.

Depends entirely on your body and metabolism. I've only had results when aiming for 1 or the other, and failed dismally when trying to do both at once. I've tried different things on and off over the years, but I've made the biggest change in the last 6 months by just aiming for strength and mass.

That said I don't eat some crazy 4000cal, 500g of protein a day diet, just a small excess. I guess it's more of a "clean bulk" if you want to use names for things. :P

• 2 months later...

I've never done deadlifts, but seen people doing them in the gym and as far as I know that's not bad at all. Obviously it's all relative to your bodyweight but if you could 'easily' stick another 10kg on that, do it!

I've been getting into training over the last few weeks and getting into a good rhythm of going 3 days on, one day off. Still trying to get back to a place where I was 3 years ago which is depressing.

Got a deadlift pb tonight with 145kg for 5 reps on my last of 4 sets and I reckon I could easily stick another 10kg or so on that. Not sure if that's a lot or not but I'm pretty proud!

pretty nice

what's your bodywheight?

I did 135kg for two reps a while ago

and I was around 73kg bodywheight

but deadlifts are killing my lower back so now I go a lot lighter

I do love backsquat

did 130 kg but it wasn't a super deep squat

on super deep I m around 100kg a the moment

90kg on frontsquat

and I did some power snatch today

nailed 50kg wich is ALOT for me

(Im 77kg now)

Edited by chimpanzyyyy

Not been to a gym before but have started going with Joe Seddon 2-3 times a week. This week the evil b*****d decided deadlifts would be good, having never done them before i was fairly happy to be able to crack out 3 sets of 5 at 135Kg (i'm 73kgs) have no idea what's good or not, but my god my lower back has been so stiff and solid since.