New Car Suggestions

george_seamons

My head gasket is on its last legs, and its going to cost at least £500 without parts, so I've decided to ditch the car (its a '97 1.6 petrol Peugeot 306)

Been looking at new cars, and just wanted some advice/opinions/suggestions as to what to go for. Ideally I'd want something with at least the same speed/acceleration, or something faster. I've been seriously considering a diesel since i drove a 1.9 tdi focus the other day.

So, yeah. Suggest away! I've got anything between £3-£4k to play with (than ks the lord for loans!) To give you an idea, I've been quite interested in Vauxhall Astras, possibly Corsas, another 306 (but I'd rather avoid the French like a plague!) Ideally it would be something low milage, sub 50k would be tasty.

Fankoo.

Stick with petrol if you want a faster acceleration. If you wanted a diesel to have anywhere near as fast pull off as a petrol then you would deffo need a turbo diesel. Look for about a 1.7 TD Corsa, nice cars and theres plenty of them about.

A diesel should save you money on insurance too, but I think the word turbo will pile it on again...

And extra high milage, so his head gasket will go again within 3 weeks of buying it.

thank god your not a mechanic :S it wont do that.

head gaskets wont go for no reason they only go if something is wrong ie not put together right or messed about with.

Edited by Synergy

306 1.9 turbo deisel, cheap car cheap insurance.

Damn right, thats what Ive got. They're only group 4 insurance and can eat anything short of a 1.6sxi etc. Great fun for embarassing the little corsa and punto driving max power boys ;)

Btw...there's nothing wrong with the Impreza at that price. U can pick up a fookin Nissan Skyline 2.0T for under 3k so what are u complaining about! Impreza's are dirt cheap now cos the markets changed, have been for last couple of years. Only problem is the harsh mpg figures !!!

M@

thank god your not a mechanic :S it wont do that.

head gaskets wont go for no reason they only go if something is wrong ie not put together right or messed about with.

Head gaskets go wrong eventually. It happens faster if you drive it a certain way. Its only a piece of cork after all. I was just saying tha a 1.9 Dturbo wich high millage is more than likley too need a change soon. They where used as company cars in the late 90's so nearly all of them have high millage.

If you want reliability, go jap or german.

Im gonna bum my car a bit :)

Fiesta Zetec S

110bhp

0-60 Around 9.8sec

Look lovely

Very nice multispoke alloys

A little bit rare

Handling is a dream, big go kart.

Potential for tuning up to around 150bhp very easily, 170bhp is the next step, ad then whatever your wallet allows!

Traction control

Come in Black, red, silver and blue. For 4k you can get one easily sub 40,000 miles. 35k more like.

Nice interior, hugging seats etc.

A little sporty :)

Isurance group 8 so wont break the bank

IPB Image

id personnaly think about a m4k 1.8 gti turbo or non turbo theyre fast sexy loads of room and well built and i dont think the insurance would be to bad. its what im thinking of getting for my next car.

they aint fast, the mk4 gti is renownd for being slow, you need 200bhp in one before they are quick.

what a bout a golf GT GTi, they come in 110bhp, 115bhp, 130bhp and 150bhp varieties

You should be able to get a nice A3 in that price range. ;)

AUDI A3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it really is about 4 classes above just about anything else in the price range......

my mum drives one, and i can safely say ive not driven a nicer car.....

its not that theres anything INCREDIBLE about it..... but there really isnt ANYTHING bad about it at all!

its SUCH a nice car to drive....... it looks amazing, really stylish, its not a ford or any other common make.....(sorry, but we all know its in a different league)

we picked ours up for 4.8k, 98R reg, 80k on the clock, full leather interior, 1.9tdi sport 110bhp, TOP of the range model, air con, central remote locking, everythings, its really an insanely nice car.... cost knew was about 23k.

a set of newly refurbed TT alloys cost us £300 on ebay, and you can chip it from 110bhp to 130-140bhp for around £120, we are chipping ours soon!

130bhp in an A3 wil make a FAST car! i drive a 130bhp passat every day for work back at home, and its very nippy, and pulls like a train!

you could pick up a decent one on about a R-T reg for around 4k, if your prepared to go without the SEXY leather seats and fancy gadgets-id imagine you could get a low mileage one as well!

it really is an AMAZING car! ours with the 110bhp motor unchipped will pull to 130mph (thats more on the speedo, ive tested it with a gps) and acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gear is astonishingly good, once chipped, itll be a rocket!

cornering wise its unlike anything ive driven, with the lowered stiffened up suspension setup of the Sport SE pack, and the 225/45/17'' yokohamma rubber, the grip is just mind blowing, you can throw it into ANY bend and it just grips and rips you round! its a truely astonishing car!

oh, did i mention is looks GORGEOUS from any angle?

Audi A3-get a real car-be different

post-168-1137770707_thumb.jpg

Im gonna bum my car a bit :)

Fiesta Zetec S

110bhp

0-60 Around 9.8sec

Look lovely

Very nice multispoke alloys

A little bit rare

Handling is a dream, big go kart.

Potential for tuning up to around 150bhp very easily, 170bhp is the next step, ad then whatever your wallet allows!

Traction control

Come in Black, red, silver and blue. For 4k you can get one easily sub 40,000 miles. 35k more like.

Nice interior, hugging seats etc.

A little sporty :)

Isurance group 8 so wont break the bank

IPB Image

I'm gonna be getting one of them around march I think. In blue though (can you tell i'm a car enthusiast?)

If you want we can have a meet. Somerfields car park, we can turn our stereos up real loud and sit there nodding our heads, then go home.

Anyway sorry I have no real helpful advice to offer, make sure you get it in a nice colour. :)

Tommmmmmmmmm you do realise thats standard?

I cant stad boy racers! I have a pure SQ sound system and am not a car park catchphrase kinda guy!

They are a nice looking, relatively quick, fun car. Nothing boy racerish about them, getting a normal fez, and sticking ZS stuff to it o the other had is :P

Tommmmmmmmmm you do realise thats standard?

I cant stad boy racers! I have a pure SQ sound system and am not a car park catchphrase kinda guy!

They are a nice looking, relatively quick, fun car. Nothing boy racerish about them, getting a normal fez, and sticking ZS stuff to it o the other had is :P

Lol yeah I realise its standard, we have one at home :P Gonna be buying it off my dad hopefully.

Cant stand boy racers either but you gotta admit its more boy raceryish than the average car, but done in a stylish way ;)

As for what a pure SQ sound system, a normal fez and ZS stuff is, you've lost me haha.