Pretty Anodised Chainring Bolts...

Endohopper

For well over a year now , I've affixed my front chainring ( 22t) with

those lightweight blue anodised chainring bolts , thinking I'd save well over half a gramme B)

and add to my colour scheme . Today , while just pedal kicking around , the drivetrain

gave an almighty bang , and I thought " there goes another chain ." Turns out that

one of the chainring bolts had snapped , allowing the ring to totally deform ,

as shown in diagram A :

IPB Image

I'd never seen a chainring do this , perhaps O.K if it's one of those

light T.A ones , but this is bog standard Shimano steel 22t .

On the positive side , it's kinda reassuring that my chain didn't snap

( a cheapo Sachs PC-Somethingorother.) Oh , what fun having to carry my

bike back home , looks so professional and smooth . :$

Ben's chainring did that today, it just went bang and we both looked at his rear king :huh: , shows how much we trusted that :$ ! When we looked at his crank the chainring had been ripped off his middleburns and it had snapped in half. It had also snapped at one of the mounting holes.

Luckily we were riding in nottingham and were just outside the supercycles shop :D

Ben's chainring did that today, it just went bang and we both looked at his rear king :huh: , shows how much we trusted that :$ ! When we looked at his crank the chainring had been ripped off his middleburns and it had snapped in half. It had also snapped at one of the mounting holes.

Luckily we were riding in nottingham and were just outside the supercycles shop :D

Yeah was preety gay,

just went bang and snapped my chain ring up to f**k, snapped 3 bolts and damaged a thread a little bit.

Luckily i wasn't doing anything big else it could of been fatal :(:ermm: .

what bash is that?

It's a custom piece , manufactured for me by a trials riding buddy out here in Holland , who has acess to a CNCing machine .

IPB Image

It's pretty light as it has lots of material machined off the back and is plenty tough . It was supplied as just raw unpainted aluminium , but I'm such a colour coordination whore , I just had to get the spraycans out . Thought I'd take these better shots , since I needed to remove the crank arm to replace the destroyed chainring anyway . Still amazed at the deformation of the chainring :blink: , how did my chain remain intact , but the ring get destroyed ?