Chris King Hubs

Houseface

They skip if you dont look after them, but they are really nice hubs. 72ep, strong, smooth, nice solid engagements. Mine skipped a few times on my last service with motor oil, when it started getting colder. Think this was because of the oil getting thicker in the cold weather. I am now using finish line green wet lube and wd40 and it seems to be working fine :) . Give them a service every so often and it will treat you well :D they also last for ages, and the more power you put in, the stronger the hub engages, due to the design.

I used to be a king man through and through but not anymore :$ I love my profile now it feels far more sturdy and indestructable than the King.

Not that any of my Kings ever skipped on my but the Profile just feels more dirrect and bullet proof (Y)

But anyone who slags off a King is a muppet!

the way i see it. you buy a hope hub for £77:50 and away you go. ride whatever you like with it, however you like. you can service it yourself for next to nothing, and get spares cheap as chips / free

you spend potentially over 3 times more (unless you do some tax evasion) and then have to faff about bedding in, taking apart (with special tools) changing driveshells and axles (oh wait, more money spending) and lubing up your hub JUST so you can ride it the way you want. and you still run the risk of dying a slow death if it skips (and skips badly)

:rolleyes:

maybe i'm just cheap and lazy, but i can't say a few more engagements is worth all that. do they even make a difference to your riding? :P

edit: ok hopes are £77:50. bargain

Edited by the boon

the way i see it. you buy a hope hub for £120 and away you go. ride whatever you like with it, however you like. you can service it yourself for next to nothing, and get spares cheap as chips / free

you spend potentially two and half times more (unless you do some tax evasion) and then have to faff about bedding in, taking apart (with special tools) changing driveshells and axles (oh wait, more money spending) and lubing up your hub JUST so you can ride it the way you want. and you still run the risk of dying a slow death if it skips (and skips badly)

maybe i'm just cheap and lazy, but i can't say a few more engagements is worth all that. do they even make a difference to your riding? :P

Thats true... id buy a hope just because of the bloody amazing service you get, something breaks on it and theyll fix it for free half the time, really really good.

I got my CK with my bike so im happy with it and not gonna change B)

Kings are NOT overated at all- they are fantastic hubs, but it has been shown through a lot of use by a lot of riders, that they may not be the best hub for trials!

I wont say anymore- see the hope proII thread for the HUGE king v. hope debate, with profile thrown in for fun!

the way i see it. you buy a hope hub for £120 and away you go. ride whatever you like with it, however you like. you can service it yourself for next to nothing, and get spares cheap as chips / free

you spend potentially two and half times more (unless you do some tax evasion) and then have to faff about bedding in, taking apart (with special tools) changing driveshells and axles (oh wait, more money spending) and lubing up your hub JUST so you can ride it the way you want. and you still run the risk of dying a slow death if it skips (and skips badly)

its expensive sending hopes off every month..... and not being able to ride for a few days. They are not reliable, i would be more scared riding a hope than a king.

Depends on which hub you get really, i bought a singlespeed hub which meant it already had a hd axle, funbolts and came with a king kog of my choice. That came to 230 squid (inc tax evasion :P) I built it up and rode it straight away and it was fine, has only skipped once and that was because the bearings needed adjusting.

Hopes can be just as temperamental at times. I've been using a hope xc for the past 2 years with no problems, i serviced it occasionaly and it was fine. Although recently its been getting worse and worse so i reckon the ratchet is on its way out. Ck hub soon followed :P so far i love it!

its expensive sending hopes off every month..... and not being able to ride for a few days. They are not reliable, i would be more scared riding a hope than a king.

Have you ever used a Hope before, mine is about 5years old (at a rough rough guess) and is perfect had it since easter last year without touching anything on it. So every month hmm yea...... no.

you think its expensive sending hope stuff off.... wait for something to brake on your king and send it off for warrenty, you get hit badly with import tax, no way around it either.... i own a king myself, and it cost me about £20 to get my HD bolts warrentied when i snapped 1 (import tax fee).... and thats a cheap part of a king

*waits for Hope Pro2T to be released ^_^ *

*edit* oh yeah, and it usually takes 1-2 weeks to get the parts back from king <_<

Edited by street trials rider

the way i see it. you buy a hope hub for £77:50 and away you go. ride whatever you like with it, however you like. you can service it yourself for next to nothing, and get spares cheap as chips / free

you spend potentially over 3 times more (unless you do some tax evasion) and then have to faff about bedding in, taking apart (with special tools) changing driveshells and axles (oh wait, more money spending) and lubing up your hub JUST so you can ride it the way you want. and you still run the risk of dying a slow death if it skips (and skips badly)

edit: ok hopes are £77:50. bargain

i see what your saying but i dont agree with all of it, i used to run a hope, it skipped all the time, sent it to hope they fixed it and i rode it and it still skipped all the time. so i decided to buy a king, the king skipped a few times but changed the lube to finish line and after that it never skipped. but thats my experience with hope hubs im not slagging them off im just saying what happened from my experience with them

from personal experience i think Kings are very good if well maintained. I had now had 3 and i loved each of them and very rarely had a skipping problem.

No they aint perfect and not the best thing since sliced bread but at the same time they are definatly not worth all the criticism they get.(N)

The one im running now skipped a couple of times but nothing major. I found when they skip they dont skip for long, they engage almost right away, unless its propar foobared

Hopes are great hubs too, a lot of people prefer them but they are just as reliable as any hub out there, including the CK.

most people who are using a King now have already used a Hope, and a lot are sticking with the King, thats gorra be a good thing, right? (Y)

It's hit an miss...

my current hub I've had for 6 years!! I HAVEN'T TOUCHED IT ONCE!!! works super mint, never even lubed the ringdrive or anything....ITS A CROSS COUNTRY one too; no trials internals, no hd axle, no steel driveshell...no funbolts...nothing...

I had a king ISO with trials internals, hd axle, steel driveshell, funbolts- the whole gamit...it skipped all the time, i eve sent it into king; they "fixed" it and sent it back; kept skipping...all the time...I've had probably 4 different rear hubs, I'd say 90% of them (as all my friends have these hubs) are amazing but the other 10% are completely f**ked.

Have you ever used a Hope before, mine is about 5years old (at a rough rough guess) and is perfect had it since easter last year without touching anything on it. So every month hmm yea...... no.

yer he has used hope before, bulb, big-un and an XC, they all skipped like f**k, hopes are good hubs for those who ride streetier bikes, such as boon, shrewsbury etc, where you dont rely on EP as much as us UCI bummers.

Hope do offer good service, in fact they offer excellent service. but in my opinion they are not reliable, i last used a bulb about a year ago, and when going to do a gap i pretty much shredded the insides, the engagement is not as reliable IMO.

And i went through a phase where YES i did have to send a hope off every month (my own).

So dont try shut him down just because you have been lucky.

Have had a hope xc rear for nearly 3 years now. it's never skipped during a move, and the first ratchet ring lost its first tooth after 20months hard use. infact, the only thing i had troubles with was the axle. broke 2 within 2 years (which i ain't complainin about!) but decided to make a solid steel replacement with bolts in the ends. utterly bombproof now!

can't say anythin bout kings, but i know people who have destroyed hopes beyond economical repair within 3 months. then others (like me) who have the same one for years without any reason to complain.

smithy