Torn Between The 2!

Damon W

righto im maybe looking into getting a disk. :) as i wonna run zoo forks!

But

i now know most disks role before they hault :ermm: , i want a disk that LOCKS straight away, as i like doing gap 2 frontwheels (and stop not role) and gaps 2 front on rails.

so as yet it seems itl be a avid bb5 or hope trials disk.

are 180/185mm roters suitable or is it a 205/210mm rotor i should get?

just a little queery, any help welcome! :)(Y)

Edited by Dw@Hulltrials

Hope Trial disc caliper number 3 with a +20mm adaptor on a 200mm disc would be stupid!!!!! it would throw you over the handlebars for fun!!!!! specially if you get it set up right.

im using a 180, ye ok im only 10stone but it still nearly throws me all over the shop.

Waynio....................

EDIT: iv never used avid disc's so wouldnt know about them, but the above is from me using the hope trial disc for way over a year now (Y) and iv never had pistons seize up, as iv always made sure they have been lubed up from new :)

Edited by Waynio

they pop off if you land full force on them. unless you're really unlucky, you should be fine. EVERYONE runs the bb7 and only a handful break.

i've used the 185 since a year or two back now. works really well, and it's not nearly as powerful as it should be, but still locks perfectly well. (Y)

I'd get the 203/205mm (whatever it is) disc, xtr lever, decent cable (xtr, odyssey), should be pretty much mint!

Avid all the way, everyone I know who's had a Mono trial.. theyve all had problems with them. Saying that, avids arent perfect, they do break if u hit them etc. My red thing has popped off, but I can still adjust the pads the same. I won't ever buy a Hope disc probably, just seem far too unreliable from what Ive seen/experienced.

bb7 203

i have had both... had nothing but problems with the hope, pistons seizing and sheet... dont seem to wanna work in the wet either, well mine didnt.

avid is just mint, stick it on let it bed in and when it needs adjusting a simple click either side with the red dials and its sorted. no messing with washers and all that crap.

the ONLY way a hope can beat a avid is that the avid sticks out a little more, which means they are a little easier to hit... but they are easily fixed...

avid.

ive been running a 185mm avid for ages now. never had any problems. i run it with a hope gothic rotor and it is mentally good. ive had one go on a hope mono trial but that was on a mod that was good also. i would say the avid though for adjustment etc. i havnt hit mine too much in all honesty and when i have it has survived!! (Y)

ive had 3 avids, all of them have been awesome

my latest 203mm disc is the nuts!

its got a MUCH nicer feel to it than my mats 190mm hope mono trial, his has a juddery feel when you try to modulate it, as if you can feel the pads moving across the holes in the rotor :S and it has no more ultimate power or bite than my avid....

my bb7 has a really smooth power to it when your gentle, yet will lock the wheel up solid with a moderate pull of the lever.

the other awesome thing about running an avid, is that with an xtr or avid lever, you can choose the feel of it....

you can either have it with a really stiff lever feel and no squidge (which feels just like a hydro disc on mine-most people will agree) or you can have it setup nice and spongy to give your fingers a break!

i have mine set up super spongey and comming almost back to the bar! as its more comfortable like that, and i never need to pull it hard to get total lock up anyway!

avid rocks....

and the bigger the better for sure! my 203 is WAY smoother than the 185's i had before

I totaly agree with Nick on this!!!

I had a 185 avid BB7 which was stupidly powerful, but having some money i though i would try a hope mono trial 180mm, unfortunatly i found that i was snapping rotors (problem solved now due to different rotors) but the brake was un-predictable, one minute it would be working perfectly and then the next one of the pistons would stick and cause trouble.................

So, i got rid of that and got a 203mm avid BB7 and oh my god it is such a good brake, coupled with an XTR lever and cable it feels gorgeous, and as nick said this is adjustable to how u like a brake to feel, so u can match the disc to how your rear brake feels, making a more comfortable ride IMO. The power on the 203mm is much more controllable than the 185mm avid i had before, the 185mm tends to be a much more on/off feel, more bitey where as the 203 is a more gentle power, yet when needed it will lock SOLID.

In my oppinion there is nothing out there at the moment that would make me change from my Avid.......

Adam

Get an Avid BB7, awesome brake, the hopes got nothing on its simplicity and performance.

I have tried hopes, and they feel pretty nice but everyone who has had go with my Avid 185mm disc has said it feels amazing. It is really powerful as you said you wanted, it had tremendous bite and lock, and unlike the 203mm version that a lot of people like James are running now my 185mm rotor still means its got lots of modulation, so on gaps to front wheel you can feather the brake to roll the bike onto the obstacle. (Y)

Also I have had mine close to a year now, never had to re-adjust the caliper aligment, change the pads or cable/lever and I have only lubed the cable/spring etc once. No maintenance done to it yet it still works so well. :)

If your not after modulation, get a magura?

Anyway, my hope trial is alot better than my avid, but i'v still felt avids with a hell of alot more power than either of mine.