Hope Hubs

Concussion

Ah` man, I crunched my Shimano freehub again, so it won’t coast without catching chain etc….and snapped my chain 5min later while I was angry and trying to rip the ratchet too bits……..bugger!

I’ve been thinking about buying a Hope, (prob sick of me asking) for ages as you guys seem to rate them, but the XC seems to come with it’s own problems (snapping axles , freehub body digging into ratchet-wtf!.......and the same skipping problems my Shimano has, weather that be at the beginning or end of its life! And all for £80, plus wheel build and spokes.....and no service....oh` please!

The ProII seems to have eliminated the first two problems plus the one year warranty, but I can’t see how any pawl/ratchet system won’t slip when the pawl edge hit’s the ratchet edge and loudly decides where its going to sit…while chipping the ratchet teeth in the process. I honestly don’t think stronger springs will completly cure this…..if I think about it!

And yes, I try to preload but I’m not relying on that to save my life every time, especially considering the price they charge.

So come on....please....last time I promise....what’s the deal with XC and ProII hubs..are they gonna slip on me?

PS: I phoned Hope to ask “can you guarantee me the expensive ProII hub will not slip at least with in the first year” Dude said “NO” That was dissapointing.

But you guys use them so I’m keen to hear your opinions.

Oh` and I checked the old ProII thread but there is no real gritty info to be found!

Can you tell I’ve had a bad day………hope I kept things friendly?

Sos for the rant....Cheers folks!

ive used the pro 2 and pro 2t

neither skipped ever, get the pro 2t though more engagements is a bonus

hope wont say it "will never skip" to cover their backs so if it skips when u rag the hell out of it u cant sue etc

makes sense

this hub wont disappoint, and its got a relly grufty noise

where's wayne?

in all seriousness right now i would opt for a mono or an xc hub , whilst all the niggles and problems are being discovered in the pro 2.

and then when everyone knows how much of a thrashing the pro 2 hubs can take you can either sell up and buy one , or stick with the hub you have.

because there is no point in forking out for a hub that will develop nasty problems after a few weeks is there.

Im not sure why people are so protective of these hubs, i mean, hope test all their bits, and stuff breaks.

Hope mono trials are hardly perfect, so why should the hubs be?

They may be better than the other hope hubs, but everything has flaws.

Edit: You should be better off with a Pro 2 than the Xc, as it is designed for trials.

Edited by Hobnobs

Look a XC/Mono is a reliable hub for you to use sure it'll slip but every other hub has...plus snapping the axle it all depends dosen't it? I have had my XC for a while now and I ride harsh and it's still fine for me plus I got it second. The Pro II T seems great, for price, strength and engagements what ever hope hub you get you will know it's reliable.

Edited by TomN

Sorry, I meant the ProII t!

Why do people say its a reliable hub, (any Hope)....but it will slip? I don't get that. :mellow:

So if every pawl/ratchet hub will slip.....why does anyone bother buying anything more than crapy shimano... unless you where building a wheel from scratch and wanted sealed bearings? Just to lesson the chance or something.........its that one deadly slip I'm worried about!

H`mmm.... it's like the reverse of wearing a helmet, `one day it will save your life` vs `one day it will kill you`?

And all the folks who rave about the ProIIt, ain't you reading the posts and thinking `oh shit..they slip`?

I think I will build that rim/freehub combo I thought of.........and die! :P

PS: I don't mean to go on, I just feel its very....no ULTRA important!

thanks as always.

Even if it skips it still like egages so you don't completey sh*t yourself... and realiable i mean like if you service if once a while and that it will hardly skip and will last for a while, sure some people has broke there quicker but it all depends wheather you'll break it quicker and last you until you get a another hub.

I went from using the hub you get on a stock '05 Onza that wouldn't be that dissimilar to the Shimano cheapo hubs to a Pro Trials 2 and the difference is outstanding. I can't recommend the hub enough. Rode it for 3 hours solid and it didn't skip once; obviously this isn't a guarantee that it'll never slip, but it's about 2 hours and 15 minutes more non-skip action than before :P

Get one!

I appreciate the `had mine and its fine` comments....hell` what more can you say right! But you all know/admit/read it someware that its gonna slip....at some point! Are you alright with that..considering we all likes are teeth and all that.

I know it a zillion times better that shimano but, but, but!

Y`all cool with that...its £130 vs £14 quid! Kill rates may differ :P

And three hours....three years would be nice, oh well, I'm on me tod! :-

*sigh*

Right, in order. You asked why they couldn't guarantee it wouldn't skip. Think about it for 1 second. Anything could happen to that hub, meaning that there could be any reason it'd skip. If they said to you "I guarantee this hub won't skip", then they're kinda in a sketchy position because if/when it skips, you can hold them to that guarantee. Also, it's a bloody stupid thing to ask anyway :S

It's impossible to make a hub that won't skip, no matter what people try and say about the Pro2T. The nature of it means it will. However, you're trying to say that "If a Hope will skip, why not get a Shimano that will skip but be loads cheaper"? Bearings? Axle strength? Hub strength? Strength of engagement? Whether it'll engage on the next pawls once it's skipped (which is pretty important. If the engagement is as good as they say it is, when it skips, it'll just go to the next pawls which will only be 6° or so crank rotation away, which isn't much. With the Shimano, it'd be considerably more, and it might not be strong enough to engage at the next ratchet point, so there ARE different kinds of skip :P)? Weight? Overall quality? THAT is what makes the price higher.

I'm not sold on the XC hubs, but the Pro2T sounds like it should be a bit better, so you're probably better off getting that. Plus, if you have to sell the wheel on, you're going to have a lot less depreciation on a Hope Pro2T hub on ______ rim wheel rather than a Shitmano Wankola hub on a ______ rim, aren't you?

Jesus f**king christ. Stop expecting a miracle. Any hub will skip. A hope, a king, a shimano. It doesn't god damn matter if ferarri made it, the nature of the sport involves putting immense amount of pressure across a tiny area.

Expecting a hub not to slip is like expecting me not to wank in the next 12 hours.

OK, OK....I will never mention it again.....christ I had half a point though right?

Cheers Onzaboymark for the in-depth answer, forgive the stubbiness of my posts...I ain't that bad, just trying to be clear. (text sucks)

Thanks for slipping with me! :lol:(N)

bye, gone, delete post and call me moaner! (Y)

well i've seen one skip and it looks more than a niggle, rich pearsons front wheel exploded because of it

hmm exploding a front wheel, ive never done that before...... ive had one break

ash

It was me, at spice island just dropping, the hub went bang, it smashed his front wheel into a wall and 3-4 spokes died. leaving him with a f**ked wheel the day before the first comp of the season.

I'm sorry rich.

Am i the first to make one skip?