One Pic I Took In France

Davetrials

Nice Dave. Although it's a little overexposed in the background areas from harsh light there is still enough detail to make it look better in PS..........

[attachmentid=3562]

or

[attachmentid=3563]

(Y)

Glad to see you were getting a little 'arty'

We need more pics, one is not enough for it's own topic :P

post-4006-1144358639_thumb.jpg

post-4006-1144358681_thumb.jpg

No your right, I did it so it's mine? haha

I kind of know what you mean but in a way Photoshop is the key, final small adjustments can make a shot look so much better, without anyone actually noticing.

All major retourchers use such subtle techniques that you can hardly see the difference, it's all about being subtle and making small changes to bring in perfection.

Meh you and whiteboy seem to have the same attitude with that, try and get good photos straight outta cam and all that. Which is good practicing and will make you better, but you'll get a lot better when you consider everything, which you seem to be doing pretty well :). On those Fujis the light metre isnt half damm handy!!! Light metering, where to metre, lighting, composition, depth of field, whats the best camera settings? etc

I.E. If your out in a everyday setting, you could get the same photo from using either of the following:

5 second exposure @ F22 in the sun

or

1/500 @ F.2.8

Not accurate but if they both produce the same photo then what would be the better option?

The longer would give you movement and limited depth of field.

The shorter would capture movement and get depth of field at the same time

I saw a photo of a leaf on a rock in a photography mag. The light etc everything was perfect but he set up his tripod and took the shot for 8 seconds at F22, why? when he could of got the same results from a faster shutter and big aperture. Weird really.

Dont really know why i said that lol, bit of random info for you.

You seem to be getting a lot better which is mint however photoshop is the other side to photography and it's an essential to learn it.

Post some more up (Y)

Edited by Rob_P

On those Fujis the light metre isnt half damm handy!!! Light metering, where to metre, lighting, composition, depth of field, whats the best camera settings? etc

I.E. If your out in a everyday setting, you could get the same photo from using either of the following:

5 second exposure @ F22 in the sun

or

1/500 @ F.2.8

Not accurate but if they both produce the same photo then what would be the better option?

The longer would give you movement and limited depth of field.

The shorter would capture movement and get depth of field at the same time

I saw a photo of a leaf on a rock in a photography mag. The light etc everything was perfect but he set up his tripod and took the shot for 8 seconds at F22, why? when he could of got the same results from a faster shutter and big aperture. Weird really.

A light metre? How long it takes light to travel one metre? :)

FYI - it's 3*10^-9 seconds..

Anyway, I think you've got your exposures back to front Rob. F22 will give you massive DoF, while F2.8 will give you not much - on a dSLR anyway. A longer exposure will also give you more ambient light in the shot too, especially useful when using flash. F22 is said to be sharper too, while using a lens wide open can introduce softness into the image.

If the shot on a rock was taken with a reasonably long macro lens (80-100mm) close up, he'll need big DoF to get the whole image sharp.

Assuming constant ISO, they will give similar images, but with hugely different DoF, especially if flash is being used.

I really don't see this shot as anything special. Looks more like you pressed the shutter button accidentally.

Overexposed too.

Yer chris i was just messing about, trying to get settings right and i just looked though the lens and took the foto, wasnt happy with it at the time messed about with the settings, then took a pic of simon getting up the rock which is what is started out to do, so yer it is more accidental, i just think its a nice foto IMO professional photography wise its probly shit lol

I like the pic. its like simons bike is trying to go for that tap and simons holding it back lol. anyway prefered the picture without the editing. thats the only thing wrong with digital photos, people try to hard to make it look better when it usually looks best as it was taken

it is more accidental, i just think its a nice foto IMO professional photography wise its probly shit lol

A cracking photo will be forgiven if it's not technically perfect. A technically perfect dull shot, is still dull.

In this case, I just think it's a dull photo of nothing. Meh, maybe I'm missing something...

Anyway, I think you've got your exposures back to front Rob. F22 will give you massive DoF, while F2.8 will give you not much - on a dSLR anyway.

No I know what I meant, just didn't come out right :P

Yeah thats why when shooting landscape you expose for longer at small apature (F20), to get more depth of field.

I just get the shallow and little depth of field the wrong way round.

I meant that F2.8 will give you blurred background/foreground which F22 say will give a shot thats all in focus, espically a landscape.