Cracked Forks

sir trial a lot

Ok. before someone says look for a split its not quite as simple as that. My forks are creaking like crazy and i took them off the bike tonight for inspection and when i looked closely there appears to be a crack on them. wev had a good luck and cant decide wether its a crack or a scratch but i cant see how they would get scratched where it is. i have rubbed a knife on it and i can still faintly see a scratch beneath it which makes me think crack. BUT, are there any other ways of seeing if there is a crack as im going on a trials holiday for 10 nights on thursday so i need to know by dinner time tomorrow if they are cracked so i can order new ones to have them in time. also there is nowhere where we are going that i can get trials forks from so i dont want to snap them whilst im away!!. So basically and help much appreciated ASAP.

Thanks,

John

Pour water on the suspected area but do it extremely slowly, best to do it out of a bottle, it should become apparent if it's a crack.

How can you tell? :huh:

Use the water method as state. Personally, If my forks creeked, they'd be in the bin because there is obviously a problem...I value my sexy face and I don't want it being crushed on a wall.

On this note, I snapped my Echo's in Derby, at the steerer tube, I heard them 'ping' and managed to stop and jump off before they collapsed...i could probably fix them, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable riding with bodged forks...so some new ones to order.

Where abouts is the crack on the forks?

I LOVE DAVE!!!!

you make me laugh and are a member of trials forum that has now been promoted to "LEGEND!" no one else on here makes post like dave, could one of the moderators PLEASE give him a "PINK" name tag and a special "LEGEND" category. he deserves it.

its a crack if when you rub your finger over it you can feel a ridge or a bump. easy. just grease the headset and i bet it stops ;)lol!!!! i usually do that when my forks start creaking and there ok. theres been plenty of salt and grit on the streets this winter and all it does it eat and kill all your bike, clean headset and grease up to the max and see how it is.

Waynio.......................

PS or follow daves advise.................. thats step 2 ;)

got a shimano one at the mo, still creak, used to have a hope one, used to creak. any other qr's that dont?

i got echo forks on my bike with king hub and shimano qr and they creak

but not with other qr's a random planetx one (Y)

Take them off, take the headset race off clean it all around that area, spray some gt85/wd40 down the bottom of the steerer all the way around so it seems to seep into the crown area, and put it together, it's worked for me, if that doesnt work, check your stem clamp, clean your bars off, clean your headset, make sure it's all still tight.

Phil.