Stripped Pedal Thread In Right Crank Arm

Trials Dave

as the title says it has stripped. i have a spare pedal either left or right one which i can put in.

are there any fixes for the meanwhile until i have money.

i thought about maybe drilling the back of the crank arm out and then putting a nut in. so i can thread my pedal into the nut.

Edited by Trials Dave

errrm, araldite wont do a lot

the thread usually isnt long enough to get a nut on, there isnt a lot you can do bar forcing it in cross threaded and make it last a bit, pedal wont be flat though.

get it helicoiled, it isnt too much, 25-30 quid

errrm, araldite wont do a lot

the thread usually isnt long enough to get a nut on, there isnt a lot you can do bar forcing it in cross threaded and make it last a bit, pedal wont be flat though.

get it helicoiled, it isnt too much, 25-30 quid

hmmm. i would rather just put that money towards cranks

im presuming they are aluminium cranks, and of course a steel pedal axle.

it a vert triky one for bodging,

put your pedal into the crank, then drill a 2mm ish hole straight through the crank ends and the pedal alxe, and put a thin nut/bolt through the whole thing, or a split pin, or just some thick wire, and bend both ends,

hmm

or..get hold of a tensile pedal thread unsert and use that, by grinding some crank away, liek you said,

both plans so far weaken things.. but they may get u on your bike for a week ish.

bodge away !!

iolo.

im presuming they are aluminium cranks, and of course a steel pedal axle.

it a vert triky one for bodging,

put your pedal into the crank, then drill a 2mm ish hole straight through the crank ends and the pedal alxe, and put a thin nut/bolt through the whole thing, or a split pin, or just some thick wire, and bend both ends,

hmm

or..get hold of a tensile pedal thread unsert and use that, by grinding some crank away, liek you said,

both plans so far weaken things.. but they may get u on your bike for a week ish.

bodge away !!

iolo.

great. thats all i need really till i have cash for a new set of cranks.

i will have a think about a few of these ideas.

cheers

first, fix the pedal in the crank using araldite..

centre punch the middle of the crank, with the arm lenght ways, so it is like...

erm, cannot explain, imagine you have a hard on, and you nob is on end, centre punch where you japs is, going down it

once you have done that, going through the pedal...

use a tap, maybe, 5-6mm, and tap all the way through the pedal.... should be ok for a while

well it won't but it will last a bit

depends how handy he is with tools, might not be able to tell a drill from his arse hole

yeah i could try to drill it out then tap it.

i will take a pic of what i do and tell you all how it works

is it possible to get opposite thread helicoils?

This may sound REALLY stupid but with cranks cant you put the thread round the other way??

i think you can get reverse threads but doubt they will have them down the garage - i dont know anything :$

find your local bearings and transmission supplier, go see them and buy an insert to suit your pedal thread diameter and pitch (little fat brass looking things with threads in one side and knurled bit otherside), youll have to drill out your existing crank thread then whack this in with a hammer, your pedal with thread in perfectly and you wont have to buy new cranks and the insert will cost about 20p. very similar to getting a tensile insert except you save a good few quid (Y)

Daves sorted now. ULTIMATE bodge :P He came to mine so we drilled about half way through the crank arm with a large drill and found a nut to fit the pedal thread, next i had to grind all the sides of the nut down for it to fit the drilled hole and we pressed it in with a vice. Next we put the pedal in and tightened it up. A good job jobbed:) Im sure Dave will get pictures of my fantabulous bodge (Y)

Daves sorted now. ULTIMATE bodge :P He came to mine so we drilled about half way through the crank arm with a large drill and found a nut to fit the pedal thread, next i had to grind all the sides of the nut down for it to fit the drilled hole and we pressed it in with a vice. Next we put the pedal in and tightened it up. A good job jobbed:) Im sure Dave will get pictures of my fantabulous bodge (Y)

lmao. yer its a good one. see how long it lasts.

i will put a piccy on 2nite