The Top Gear Thread

Smo™

I only saw a 2 second clip on an advert the other day- recognised Dougie and just guessed it would be a presenter. I was wrong :P .

In fairness, they have more presenters than they actually have cars per show. The only people I remember are Tiff Needell and Vick Butler-Henderson, because they are both ex-Top Gear...

Fifth gear have like 6 presenters don't they? Vicki, Plato, Tiff, the hairy one, the geek one, and the small one?

Dang haha, didn't even realise and i watched it the other night.

They even end the show on "and on that bomb shell". Fifth gear is sheti.

apologies for not being so smart on this forum because everyone here are geniuses. english not being my first language sometimes i do read things as it is, so meh whatever, cuss away.

most of the time this forum is full of shit and full of members quite literally bumming each other for 'forum creds'.

steve

An error would have been acceptable if it wasn't followed by an attitude. The way you said it was like he was the one being stupid.

Yes, and?

Top Gear are good at car-based entertainment, and good at reviewing cars you might buy if you owned a few banks or won the lottery, but not so much for anything else - thus, don't watch it expecting useful car reviews, watch it because it's funny - also, enjoy the finished product, instead of picking holes in the continuity or believeability of it all.

- Please tell me someone saw the Stig sticking his head in the photocopier last night on Top Gear - Twas when they were getting Insurance Quotes......

Yeah, I noticed a lot of planted things in the office; Pearl Drops on Hammond's desk, Will Young on Clarkson's and a stack of gold bars on a filing cabinet.

But I think the Veyron - McLaren race was a bit poo. In a standard quarter mile and on a circuit, the McLaren would absolutely smoke the Veyron, provided the drag race was as it happened and not cut together like that to be exciting.

But I think the Veyron - McLaren race was a bit poo. In a standard quarter mile and on a circuit, the McLaren would absolutely smoke the Veyron, provided the drag race was as it happened and not cut together like that to be exciting.

Not too sure about that, the Veyron is bloody quick around a track. Think about it, 6-7 years ago when the new Top Gear appeared, times of 1:20 were super fast. So I doubt a 18 year old car could beat 1:18 or whatever the Veyron did.

The race itself wasn't a good comparison, they put the Stig into the McLaren because it must take a hell of a lot more skill to drive than the Veyron. If they had 2 Stigs, the results could be different.

Either way:

2008_Ariel_Atom500V82.jpg

The 2.4L V8 used in the new Atom. Revs past 10,000rpm. Soulds like they've just made a road legal F1 car.

Not too sure about that, the Veyron is bloody quick around a track. Think about it, 6-7 years ago when the new Top Gear appeared, times of 1:20 were super fast. So I doubt a 18 year old car could beat 1:18 or whatever the Veyron did.

The race itself wasn't a good comparison, they put the Stig into the McLaren because it must take a hell of a lot more skill to drive than the Veyron. If they had 2 Stigs, the results could be different.

IMO The McLaren is worlds away from the Veyron, its a pure track orientated race car for the road rather than a big heavy (1800kgs) grand tourer with a load of power. Power to weight of Veyron is ~500 bhp/t , the F1 is ~580 bhp/t. The f1 is over 750kgs lighter than the Veyron.

A good driver in the f1 would totally destroy the Veyron on a track.

As for the race being a poor comparison, I'm sure Hammond can change gear when it just about the hit the limiter as well as anyone else. Traction control + posh modern gear box and all means its not hard to do a drag run in the Veyron, especially then the 60ft time isn't gonna matter at all, i.e. when you do a mile long run!

The Nurburgring lap time for the McLaren F1 is 7:45. The McLaren F1 GTR is 7:11 but that doesn't count.

The Veyron time is 7:40.

Shows they're close, but the Nurburgring is a massive, open course. On a more traditional track, the F1 would beat the Veyron hands down.