The Top Gear Thread

Smo™

It's the anti-lag system dumping wads of fuel into the manifold to maintain turbine pressure.

f**ks the turbo up but if you've got the budget to replace it frequently (which back then they did) then why the hell not!?

Close, but on that it'll be more to do with the retardation of the ignition timing than it is the fuel supply. Although the modern systems used in current WRC cars will work by basically running very rich, then bypassing cold air strait to the exhaust manifold, where the fuel rich air coming out of the engine ignites creates the pressure needed to spin the turbo.

Jardo, you are f**ked up.

In other and related news;

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Love-the-beast_698319.htm

Just been talking to Jehdow about that film, he has a very similar relationship with Kylie (his Ford 100e), and I do with my trials bike. Feeling a bit delicate now to be honest, think I'm gonna go talk to me bike for a while. :P

Just been talking to Jehdow about that film, he has a very similar relationship with Kylie (his Ford 100e), and I do with my trials bike. Feeling a bit delicate now to be honest, think I'm gonna go talk to me bike for a while. :P

Just watched it and it's a really good. Well worth watching. I haven't had a car long enough to feel quite like that, but the scirocco's getting there, I really cant imagine selling it. Every now and then I want something new, or cool that I see, and the first thing I think is 'where could I put the scirocco while I played with one of those for a while.' haha.

I don't think it's a time thing to be honest, with my TY it was instant, my Dad put the trailer on the car and said, "Come on we're going somewhere", so i jumped in and we went to pick it up from someone we knew, and he just said, "Happy birthday son!". :D

It was for my 16th aswell, it was a shock though as it was about 5 weeks before my 16th.

EDIT: That sounds unbelievably gay...

Edited by Muel

I thought episode 3 last night was wank as well, what is happening with Top Gear... think they've lost the plot!

IMO (this is someone who is a massive Top Gear Geek) TG got better and better right from season 1 and peaked at season 10. Season 10 had the Botswana episode, Britcar and the London race. Now they just seem to be trying to hard with obvious set up stunts (like in Vietnam and Romania) and just playing OTT caricatures of themselves.

I totally agree with that, season 10 was amazing, that was when we knew it was set up, but didn't care because it was believable. Now they just make it too obvious, it's like they think we're stupid. :P

One challenge I REALLY want to see, is to get the best french hot hatch for £1500 and race them in a suitable fasion, like on some mega tight twisties. :D

Yeh that one did make me wet, I've watched it about 7 times.

And the botswana one, and the artic expidition one. :P

Two of the best right there, Vietnam hmmm, not so sure. It looked amazing and it was obviously an amazing country but just too many set ups (whoops we got the wrong train, what a surprise) and Jezza being a twat and not in a funny way. That said, I am slightly biased in the fact I think James is by far the best presenter, if you want proof then watch this:

Two of the best right there, Vietnam hmmm, not so sure. It looked amazing and it was obviously an amazing country but just too many set ups (whoops we got the wrong train, what a surprise) and Jezza being a twat and not in a funny way. That said, I am slightly biased in the fact I think James is by far the best presenter, if you want proof then watch this:

You ever caught a train in Vietnam? Its a lot trickier than it looks being that they don't tend to number them properly.

Clarkson can be funny, but sometimes I think he tries too hard.

Hammond is usually irritating, I don't particularly like him - something about him, like the mid-life crisis dad look.

May - the only good presenter of Top Gear and I absolutely love the programmes he does on his own, my favourites are the Space programmes (with the U2 spy plane) and also the newish Toy programmes (mechano, scalextric, lego etc) and making huges things with them.

All round, hes very entertaining, interesting and quite intelligent.

I don't even think they care that we know it's all faked anymore, they just get fun ideas and go with it. Not like we're gunna stop watching, is it? :P

I think the idea is to produce an entertaining car-based program, rather than a realistic car program. If you like dicking around with cars, watch Top Gear, if you want to know about a car before you buy it, watch Fifth Gear.

It's a bit annoying when people pick holes in Top Gear... just watch it and enjoy it and laugh at it, rather than going 'Ehh, they set that up', it doesn't matter, the end result is the same: it's funny!

:D

You ever caught a train in Vietnam? Its a lot trickier than it looks being that they don't tend to number them properly.

I assuming though when you went you didn't go with a huge production team with fixers and contacts all along your route? I'm not saying TG isn't entertaining or should be more like 5th gear (if you watch the first ever episodes of new Top Gear they are painful to watch in that they are so boring!) I just think it's better when it's more honest. Take the Brit Car episode, I'm guessing that the vast majority of that section was for real (unless you suggest that they set up Hammond to smash into a Mosler) but it was such a good show because it was entertaining and there was real honest emotion and banter involved. Or the Botswana episode, obviously there was some forward prep but there was no big pre set up stunts or cock ups. If you think about it, not much even happens but it's still so good to watch. I'm not saying the whole thing should be 100% real, but it's just gone too far now to the point where it's just annoying.

In defence of this series, don't know if anyone heard Clarkson on Moyle's show but he admitted that they completely cocked up the filming schedule so they are currently still filming even though the series has started. So what you’re seeing was only thought up and shot maybe 2 weeks before it goes on the air.

Edited by beigemaster

i have sat in one of the 400 holland and holland range rovers at overfinch, maybe even that one. Superb quality, never really thought about it but its amazing and soo much of it is done by hand and one off production. :D

Love the twingo!

Edited by Mowgli

That Twingo looks so fun to drive.

Other than that, we've seen all that - stupid race with crashing being the key point and a thorough and ridiculous road test. X5 M lap time was amazing, for a 4x4 to be faster in the wet than an Evo X in the dry is saying something. However, that doesn't really justify it's existence, it's a ridiculous car.

Edited by Greetings