Tensile Offset Magura Mounts

Mike Poyzer @ Onza

There has been some discussion on the news section reference our new patented Tensile offset Magura mounts. I would like to point out that they were specifically designed to allow the use of wider rims in standard frames. Whilst they can be used the opposite way round, they do not confer such a big advantage and certainly will not allow the use of much narrower rims in your frame. The reason for this is the limitations placed on us by the design of HS33's. You can move the brake in but only as far as the point where the right angled upturn of it butts up against the mount. Therefore the inward movement is little greater than a conventional mount. You will however be able to run a rim up to 10mm wider than a conventional mount design.

Won't hitting ankles/heels/feet on the slaves be a massive problem with the cylinders out extra far? I remember hitting my feet all the time when I ran a thinner frame with wide rims, but I guess I wasn't very wary about foot placement back then.

isnt that a bad thing? cos theres more leverage on the axles, and so more stress on the bearings? considering isis bbs are shit already, with the small bearings and the majority being a bit snap happy it seems the extra width wouldnt be a good idea? and i know from experience that wider square taper bbs hate having long axles :( whereas my narower ones have lasted ages

also whats the need for such wide rims? is it because of tyres like the monty 2.7 being released?

sorry not a dig at the idea for the mounts you have created, its a fantastic idea for those who want wider rims, but i just dont see the need to go that far?

The position of the actual caliper, relative to the rim, doesn't change. If you need 2mm clearance each side of your rim to get the lever feel you want without going TPA crazy, it'll still be there. However, the mounts will be offset so they'll grip the caliper more in the middle, meaning it'll be easier to set up.

Crap Paint drawing imminent:

IPB Image

Not a great drawing, but the pads and calipers stay in the same places relative to the rim (meaning they won't stick further out and you hit your ankles/cranks), but they'll be a load easier to set up because you've got a more neutral place for the clamps to...um...clamp them rather than having them butted up either at one extreme or the other. When I used to run a DX-32 in my T-Pro, I'd have to have the calipers forced as far in as they could go, and that meant I couldn't always get the caliper angle I needed to get my brake set up as I wanted it to be. Equally, when I ran a Try-all in my (thinks..., possibly) T-Lite, it was a mission trying to set it up because the calipers were as far out as they could go, meaning they were pretty much fixed in one position. If I and JT could have had these then, our problems would've been over. However, we didn't and they weren't.

I may try and sweet-talk Mat into letting me throw some of these Tensile clamps onto his bike with his Pro2T/Ex721 wheel in there just to see how well they work in terms of moving the pistons in. I played around with mine and you do get a decent amount of inward movement with them, so we'll see...

Paul - wider rims = more tyre stability on natural especially, but they allow you to run lower pressures without getting pinches, compared to running, say, a D521/EX721 with low pressures. I think?

Paul - wider rims = more tyre stability on natural especially, but they allow you to run lower pressures without getting pinches, compared to running, say, a D521/EX721 with low pressures. I think?

yeah im not denying the advantges to wider rims, as there are a few, but its more do they need to get any wider? we already have got to close to 50mm wide wiht some rims and anymore just seems like extra heft for no gain?

I guess you can never really have too much stability. Seeing as tyres are levelling off at the 2.35 to 2.5 range, I guess it means that the rims are still narrow-ish compared to the tyres. Not super narrow obviously, but a bit narrower, so maybe 50mm rims might be more stable? If the spokes holes were placed differently (like they are in the BMX so they're cross-laced or whatever it's called where the right-side spokes go to the left-side holes), you could still retain the strength. However, no-one seems to have actually thought long and hard about rim design in about 5 years or so, so we're all semi-boned.

Wider bottom brackets are not really down to rim widths. They are down to short chainstays, fat tyres and CNC yokes. Our Tensile cranks are really stiff partially because they are straight rather than cranked. This makes the requirement for long axled b/bs' even greater and we have even looked at wider b/b shells on the frame.

With regards to the Magura mounts I would welcome some data on their use with narrower rims as it is not something we have given great consideration to, other than to notice the facts in my opening post.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for bringing this topic back but i am thinking of buying these mounts, however there is one thing i am unsure of and that is with obms picture. Mike says that it allows rims up to 10mm wider to be used however mark says the postion doesnt change at all, so does it allow for bigger rims or not?

You will however be able to run a rim up to 10mm wider than a conventional mount design.

IPB Image

Not a great drawing, but the pads and calipers stay in the same places relative to the rim (meaning they won't stick further out and you hit your ankles/cranks), but they'll be a load easier to set up because you've got a more neutral place for the clamps to...um...clamp them rather than having them butted up either at one extreme or the other.

Sorry for bringing this topic back but i am thinking of buying these mounts, however there is one thing i am unsure of and that is with obms picture. Mike says that it allows rims up to 10mm wider to be used however mark says the postion doesnt change at all, so does it allow for bigger rims or not?

yea it will, if you look at obms photo, with the same size rim, notice how using the tensile mounts, there like 3mm(theoretically) space between the back of the slave, and the mount, wherease in the other photo, the back of the slave sits flush with the mount. meaning you can move the slaves back a few mm each side, so they sit flush, and could if you wanted, run a wider rim. or you could run the same sized rim and have a more neutral clamping position(although i see the brake set up issues with this being hardly worth bothering about.)

Looking at Marks drawing, he shows a flange on the slave cylinder which does not exist. This appears to stop it sliding out. If you omit that flange then the slave cylinder does slide outwards by approx. 5mm either side allowing that much extra rim width. The new clamps will be with us in a couple of weeks or so.

Looking at Marks drawing, he shows a flange on the slave cylinder which does not exist. This appears to stop it sliding out. If you omit that flange then the slave cylinder does slide outwards by approx. 5mm either side allowing that much extra rim width. The new clamps will be with us in a couple of weeks or so.

ahh that was what was getting me, cheers for that (Y)

• 1 month later...