Poor Hope Pro 2 Hub

Tall_Rob

Ouch! Thats gonna cost....

[attachmentid=7561]

Lucky a was only doing a small gap to front wheel and not a big move.

Adam and Dave of Tartys, You've sold me faulty goods. I know where you work and i'm coming to get my revenge.

All joking aside, had the wheel built with new parts just over 2 months ago and today it exploded..... Opps!

Hopefully all under warranty and hopefully replaced/rebuilt for free (plity, plity, please)

Will be contacting you 2 cheeky devils tomorrow to sought it out.

Gotta love Ad and Davey for all their hard work though.

Robbie

PS. Anyone else had the same problem? I know one guy that had the same hub do the same thing in London recently.

This is just a theory here but... I reckon Hope have tried to compete with the weight of a King too much and have ended up with a shell that's not *quite* strong enough.

Unlucky anyhow, should all be sorted for free knowing Hope's top notch service. (Y)

anyone who wants to know why this happens just ask ash (trialnoir)

there are two schools of thought, both possible

thanks matt :D

i heard it is cause some are machined across the grain so they are weaker, depends which way the billet goes into the mill

in a way you are correct, the reason some have been failing like this is due to raw material, or so i am told, when the billet is fromed and another is formed straight after it and they are in a way fused together causing a bad grain structure.... etc

bet your wheel was built to tight.

spot on...........

again my bet as to why it has cracked, is people nowdays simply build a wheel way too tight............ causing too much stress across the hub flange............

anyhow...................

regards ash

If you're going to say it was built too tight, have Hope released guidance on how tight the spokes should be as otherwise, surely you can't say that.

Exactly. And I don't know of many (any?) other hubs that snap so catastrophically. Yes, we all love Hope here, but that doesn't mean that the sun shines out of their arse and they're completely infallible. There is no way that you can blame anyone but Hope for this sort of thing happening.

It has nothing to do with how tight the spokes are.

The ratchet ring inside is screwed in on a thread. Once it hits the end stop of the hub, if it gets spun round any further, which is inevitable in trials... the the threads will simply push the hub apart.

I have had this happen exactly the same on a DMR revolver hub a few years ago, but the other way round. The freewheel literally split in half over the top of the threads. My guess is that hope simply have machined away too much material.

Keep building your wheels as tight as you can!! they will fall to bits otherwise...

Tim

If you're going to say it was built too tight, have Hope released guidance on how tight the spokes should be as otherwise, surely you can't say that.

Sorry to stir.

Jamie

lmao sorry to stir? don't talk utter bollocks, to put it straight mate, if the spokes are all tightened too tight, then it is pulling and therfore putting stress on the hub shell,

It has nothing to do with how tight the spokes are.

The ratchet ring inside is screwed in on a thread. Once it hits the end stop of the hub, if it gets spun round any further, which is inevitable in trials... the the threads will simply push the hub apart.

I have had this happen exactly the same on a DMR revolver hub a few years ago, but the other way round. The freewheel literally split in half over the top of the threads. My guess is that hope simply have machined away too much material.

Keep building your wheels as tight as you can!! they will fall to bits otherwise...

Tim

if it has nothing to do with how tight the spokes are then, please go tighten your spokes as tight as you can get them and watch what happens........................

"The ratchet ring inside is screwed in on a thread. Once it hits the end stop of the hub, if it gets spun round any further, which is inevitable in trials... the the threads will simply push the hub apart."

ive never heard as much garbage in all my life, the thread would strip before it supposedly "pushes the hub appart"

you just have to laugh at some peoples guesses

ash

Edited by trialnoir

Chances are it was just the tension caused between the drive force placed on the ratchet ring, and the spokes that were transfering most of that force to the rim, stressing the hub body. Due to this drive force the spokes pulling the other way would not have been under tension, meaning that it wasn't ripped apart by the spokes tension from the build, but by the drive force through the spokes.

Cheep, strong, light; Choose two

to quote gary fisher.

Kings are Light and strong but not cheep

The hope is Light, and compared to a king, cheep, but not as strong.

I'd say its more likely to be down to raw materials as I'm sure hope have done there research and calulations to work out how much material to put there.

if it has nothing to do with how tight the spokes are then, please go tighten your spokes as tight as you can get them and watch what happens........................

Speeking from experience your spokes would snap and your rim would crack around the spoke holes, especialy as his rim is not eyeleted. The forces on the hub counteract because of the oposing spokes, so it's normaly the last thing to go.

Edited by Dont you Just Hate it When...

i love my hope!!even if it blew up like that i would have another for sure.

i hate to say this but "trialnoir", yes you may work closely with hope and i certainly appreciate your input but please let other people voice their opinions without calling it nonsense,everyones entitled to an opinion.i respect your/everybodies input on this topic if its nonsense or not.

craig

Well.... yeah i do spin a bit.

It's all sorted now anyway.

Hope are doing the nice thing and replacing it and keeping the old one to examine and use as research for furthering their products reliability.

Was nought wrong with the wheel. Was perfect in everyway. It's what you expect from Adam.

Still going back to Hope. Loved the hub, loved the sound and the feel of it. Hope have top notch customer service too (for me anyhow).

Don't care about comparing it to Kings and strength and weight issues. It's a smart hub.

This one just was faulty..... It happens so get over it. I did, and laughed about it when it happened.

Hopefully be riding again soon.

Will let you know how it gets on.

Rob

lmao sorry to stir? don't talk utter bollocks, to put it straight mate, if the spokes are all tightened too tight, then it is pulling and therfore putting stress on the hub shell,

"The ratchet ring inside is screwed in on a thread. Once it hits the end stop of the hub, if it gets spun round any further, which is inevitable in trials... the the threads will simply push the hub apart."

ive never heard as much garbage in all my life, the thread would strip before it supposedly "pushes the hub appart"

ash

What i said is not total garbage. try over tightening a bleed screw in a standard mugura brake lever, see what happens. the hope hub is the same but on a bigger scale.

ash

I hope Hope relise what sort of an image you are putting across for them.

As in, an image that if i read that, i wouldn't go and buy a Hope hub.

Don't try and blame this on the bloody wheel, so you are telling me the 4 or 5 to do this before this are all 'cause of a tight wheel, yet no other Hope has ever seem to do the exact fault for various people running various setups across the world?

Get over yourself/the company and just accept the fact the hub has a problem, or a batch has had a problem, and for god sake man, it isn't even a big problem, yet you protect the company like it could kill them.

Everyone makes mistakes, even the company you so worship.

don't talk utter bollocks, to put it straight mate, if the spokes are all tightened too tight, then it is pulling and therfore putting stress on the hub shell,

Alloy flange connected by high tension steel wire to rim causes little or no stress on the hub? I've seen a number of hubs have problems, mostly due to overly tight spokes.

to quote gary fisher.

Keith Bontrager, not Gary Fisher. It comes from an MTB Pro column he wrote about a lightweight handlebar subscription programmes.

Pretty much what Si said. This has happened to several hubs now, built by different people and maintained by different people. Saying "wheel build's wrong" is a bit of a shitty way of getting out of it, not to mention the spokes would just rip the ends of the flanges off as opposed to fully tearing down the hub body like that? What with the ends of the flanges being the easy way out?

Are they still f**king around with the bearings that people break, that I think you said they were going to change?