Dave's New Bicycle...

AdamR28

Dave's got a new bike... and its cool!

IPB Image

IPB Image

And the lovely prototype Profile Flatland cranks, with a meaty 18T Sprocket and Ti Axle! Big thanks to Sam and Steve at Profile Europe for these badboys, we're testing them for a while to give them some feedback... So 'proto' they don't have logos yet, and the length (165mm) is written on the back of the arms in marker pen :lol: So so stiff, and only 30g a set heavier than Echo CNC cranks and an SKF BB with Echo Screw on sprocket :o Keep checking Dave's blog on our site, I'm sure he'll be whacking more info and thoughts up when we'd had a few more rides.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Bike weight is a shade under 23lbs, which we were rather shocked about! (New digital scales for the win :rolleyes: )

Other parts are: Echo freehub, ZOO Headset, Onza 28" Carbon Risers, Echo '07 Rear rim, Red Rock Pads, T-Master stem, 2007 Hope Mono Trial 180mm front brake, V8 Pedals, KHE Collapse Chain, 2007 Echo Lite Forks, Special Davidz Edition Try-All Booster, Crawler Tyres and Hope Braided HS33 Hose.

Video as soon as we can find a night to ride when its not pissing it down and therefore actually do some good stuff :closedeyes:

Hope you like!

Adam

Ooh, dealing with Profile now will we?!? Tartybikes is only getting better and better, keep it up Mr. Dave & Mr. Read. Bike looks pretty fly, I suppose :P

Edit: Is the sprocket screwed onto the cranks at the regular placed and then bolted onto the arm itself? Or am I seeing things :S

really really nice - good to see you looking for new products and innovative products to put trials bike. Those cranks are awesome and look amazing, is the sprocket held onto the axle? (kinda like the DMR Crisis crank).

it looks suspiciously like the normal bmx bolt-through-the-sprocket method.

i'm so happy about this, i hate mountainbike BBs

I'd be a little concerned about how long the cranks will last - profiles are a bit dent prone on a bmx so christ knows how they'll take the battering you give cranks on a trials bike.

but..

this means that 18tooth bmx sprockets will be available so the option is there to run the new magnesium hollowbites or something on your trials bike.

yer, they are.

but 165 :( what about people who want decent lengths :(

buy longer arms - profiles come in all sorts of sizes. I can't see them releasing anything that won't fit the standard profile spindle cos they'd have to go produce a load of different Ti spindles for the weight fags

mmm, looks good.

But, I'm sure people will bend the Profile cranks after a bit of use. Profile cranks are used on mountain and trials unicycles... and many many people have bent and snapped those cranks. Unless the new flatland Profile cranks are a totally redesigned set, then I'm not too keen on owning a pair :rolleyes:.

Still cool to see a diddy 'lil 18t cog on there though :P

I just thought that 48 splines were a hell of a lot of hassle.

i must be the only one that can never seem to access the tartybikes blog page :(

heres what it says

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /blog.php on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.0.55 (Red Hat) Server at 82.110.105.16 Port 80

any ideas whats going on there lads :S

To the best of my knowledge the way that sprocket attaches is the same as a normal BMX sprocket, in that it slots tightly over the BB axle and then a bolt goes though it into the back of the crank arm to stop it rotating. Most 3-piece cranks can't take 18t sprockets as the drive bolt it too far out, but these have a second hole closer to the BB so that smaller rings can be used, so as for using normal BMX cranks with that ring goes, its not gunna happen, it will only work with profile flatland cranks, or any other company that adopts the second drive bolt hole. And they should work with any 19mm spindle BMX BB.

Although This is all taken from what I know about current profiles and the pictures posted above, so please correct me if I'm wrong, although I'm pretty sure about the second drive bolt thing.

is the sprocket held onto the axle?

'Normal' bolted on sprocket that slips over the axle :).

I'd be a little concerned about how long the cranks will last - profiles are a bit dent prone on a bmx so christ knows how they'll take the battering you give cranks on a trials bike.

Spoke to the guys at Profile earlier and they were surprised to read about any cranks denting at all, as they seemed to have never heard about it being a major issue. You'd have to do some SERIOUS BASHING to dent these :S.

Kin' gorgous! :o ,Does she ride any good? Oh and are the crank's 3-peice?

Rides absolutely gorgeously. Bunnyhops and wheelie-hops so so well. First ride on it and I'm already riding better than I used to on my Lite.

Yep 3-piece indeed :).

yer, they are.

but 165 :( what about people who want decent lengths :(

Profile say 170's should follow for production models (already reserved myself a set! hehe).

But, I'm sure people will bend the Profile cranks after a bit of use. Profile cranks are used on mountain and trials unicycles... and many many people have bent and snapped those cranks. Unless the new flatland Profile cranks are a totally redesigned set, then I'm not too keen on owning a pair :rolleyes:.

Still cool to see a diddy 'lil 18t cog on there though :P

I just thought that 48 splines were a hell of a lot of hassle.

Piece of wee to fit, and the tollerences are awesome, arms are so so tight on the axles.

I have heard of some people bending and snapping them, but there's virtually no cranks (possibly none?) that are sold in the same huge volumes as Profiles and have the same success rate?

Unless you're planning on doing 30ft drops to flat, I wouldn't have any concerns.

To the best of my knowledge the way that sprocket attaches is the same as a normal BMX sprocket, in that it slots tightly over the BB axle and then a bolt goes though it into the back of the crank arm to stop it rotating. Most 3-piece cranks can't take 18t sprockets as the drive bolt it too far out, but these have a second hole closer to the BB so that smaller rings can be used, so as for using normal BMX cranks with that ring goes, its not gunna happen, it will only work with profile flatland cranks, or any other company that adopts the second drive bolt hole. And they should work with any 19mm spindle BMX BB.

Although This is all taken from what I know about current profiles and the pictures posted above, so please correct me if I'm wrong, although I'm pretty sure about the second drive bolt thing.

Completely correct, a small plate is welded to the back of the arm at manufacture. The plate's like an oval, so allows for 2 separate bolt holes to be threaded, meaning you can run weeny flatland sprockets or more traditional sizes should you wish.

Just wondering... If profile do make these cranks, do you know roughly what the price would be?

The price isn't yet confirmed. It's expected to be a little over £200 for pair of arms, Ti axle, all bolts and bearings, bb cups etc. The 18t sprocket is additional.

IMO, with a lifetime bending or breaking warranty on the arms, and an awesome stiffness to weight ratio, these are an ideal choice for people who want something with great performance and/or a little out of the ordinary for a trials bike.

it's really nothing new, if you don't want to wait and if you don't want profiles, just go ahead and buy a pair of KHE flatland cranks, light, rather strong and has the second bolt hole for the 18tooth sprocket.

bashring then?

or you could always drop tree a mail about some really small tree light sprockets, if you feel that you can trust the system their new sprocket will use (basically no sprocket bolt, just a steel insert that goes against the splines on the spindle.

so 2non-drive side crankarms, a Ti spindle and a euro bb, or if you want to mill out your frame, a spanish bb.

edit: might as well explain some more

IPB Image

two profile race crank-arms 50$ each

a premium TI spindle 70$

fit bikes bb with steel cups (not al that is shiit!) 40$

http://www.empirebmx.com/catalog/showdetai...et=catalog.aspx

210$ +sprocket cost equals 110£+sprocket cost instead of 200£ +sprocket cost and all that.

Edited by Luzac