Where Did You Acquire Your Home Made Trials Course?

TomR

Im sure a few people have stuff in there garden for riding, so i was just wondering where you bought/acquired the bits from. I know sleepers can be had from garden centres, but stuff like blue pallets are generally fairly valuable to companies (hence why they sell them back).

Also what sort of stuff do you actually have in your garden?

I got about 10 pallets. Took em from my work ( co-op ) they were out the back in our warehouse..and i just asked our warehouse manager if they were being collected or anything...and if i could take them. He werent fussed and was glad to see the back of them :)

Everyones's happy.

Always worth a look round industrial sites at night :) always loads floating about :)

Yeah, all my local Ind Estates have CCTV though and i dont really want to get done for pikeying bits, I just don't tend to get time to pop in and ask when the places are open. Ive spoken to a few people round some of the companies before, 4 or 5 years ago (used to take metal from one places skip) and they all seemed really friendly.

Don't want much, just a few bits to put on the drive to mess about on, 4 pallets and a plank of wood would probably do for gaps and general balance etc. Anything more serious i probably wouldnt be riding on the drive anyway.

I'm quite lucky as most of my bits come from work, pallets etc and we chop alot of trees down so i can just use the chainsaw to cut the logs how i want them, put some slits in them for the gip, then take them home. got some rocks that i can have as well but they are too big for me to get home and mum would flip!!! lol

i stole mine from the back of tescos!

Aaron I'anson on here can tell you are rather funny storry of carting 8 crates home in tesos trolleys, we got stopped by the police and i hid in a tree and got away with it hehe :)

If you go into local warehouses they will probably give you them for free!

EDIT: also got a few spools aswell

Edited by Radfax

I am a farmer, what else can i say :P

Nicked a load of stuff from the local tree surgeon, BIG logs, put 2 on the front of the tractor and had the rear wheels off the ground most of the way up the road :P

Got about 50 blue pallets from a local cash and carry, went there with a tractor and trailer and collected them :P

Aquired a car off a mate, wrecked that :P

That was all realy, Had it inside the shed at one point, but that was only the pallets, then had to move it all outside due to Dad wanting to put stuff in there, so outside it went, where it got ALOT bigger, i will try an find some pics (Y)

Adam

Can't you just go around building sites and ask if you can take them? That's how I did it, the workers just gave me pallets because they'd have to pay to get them off the site after finishing the job anyway. I'm sure it's the same in the UK?

pretty sure it works the other way round here

the workers get paid for the pallets because it costs less to recycle them that it does to make new ones

I have 2 big pallets (about double the size of normal pallets and well made) from when Habitat delivered some kitchen stuff to us, 2 normal pallets from random things when our house was being extended, 2 from Sainsburys that I... erm, aquired, then a load of concrete blocks i made a mould for and used up some old concrete mix we had lying around.

Then a big, hardwood log that was found on the beach near Brighton and stayed at my grandparents house for 5+ years, then we trailer'd it back to mine.

I've got like 15-20 pallets in my garden, got a load of normal ones from the Jewsons round the corner, they said we could just take any from the pile by the skip, most of em were fine, and a few had 1 or 2 snapped planks, so sometime I'll just savage one pallet and fix the 5 or 6 slightly broken ones. Got some blue ones from a mate who got them from his work as well. Shall get a pic sometime when its light.

I'll be getting my hands on some from the back of my local homebase pretty soon. The silly beggars have got a CCTV camera, but between the camera and where they keep about 30 lovely blue pallets, there are two big external storage containers (like you see on the back of P&O lorries) so the camera can't see you! :rolleyes:

This topic's longest sentence award goes to... me! B)

But Garden centers, electrical stores, supermarkets, normal markets actually!, most shops... and if you've tried all of those then normally a friend of a friend of a friend knows a man who can, so ask around!

;)