Anyone Reverted Back To Cheap Pedals?

Prawny Baby

hey guys.

im having some lame pedals problems lately.

ive used atomlab aircorp pedals for the last 3 years, and dont really like the idea of using anything else. but they just dont seem to hold up to my abuse!

i had two sets of the older style atomlabs, and they were awesome in most respects, although the bushings didnt last long AT ALL, and within a month or so, they were super wobbly and thats pretty shit. i also found that when the got older the threads holding the stud in began to die.

when i got my insurance money from the stolen ashton, i splashed out on an expensive set of 06 aircorps, the super thin ones.

bad idea.

as with all the other atomlabs ive had the bushings went wobbly in a few weeks, although this time i bodged them by fitting an RB lever seal O-ring in place of the standard spring washer, and this made them feel nice and tight again.

on wednesday riding in town my right pedal came off the axle!

it turns out the Spring E clip holding them onto the axle had shattered, and the pedal just flew off!

on inspecting the pedal, the body is deformed where the axle enters, and a hairline crack has appeared running along the line of the axle :(

all round gayness.

anyway: point of this thread

does anyone else have problems with expensive pedals? as im seriously considering going back to VP's at £12 a set, as at least when i kill them its cheap to replace...

anyone else gone back to super cheapy pedals? was it a good move?

It seems to me that the atomlab pedals are just not up to the job - I've had similar experiences to you Nick.

My favourite pedals were the Welgo B38's - they lasted forever, and were great. A big platform like the atomlabs too. They're around £40.

I'm pleased with my DX's so far, just they need longer pins than standard. (Even though I've already put the "longer" pins in. So I would reccomend those aswell.

Never been pleased with the durability V8's, nor do I like the shape and size of them, which rules out the V12's obviously too.

I'd go with DX's or the B38's. :)

My favourite pedals were the Welgo B38's - they lasted forever, and were great. A big platform like the atomlabs too. They're around £40.

they are superb pedals, i have them on my zoot :) sadly, i dont think they available anymore :( garrrr

i found gusset slim jims to be pretty awesome on my bmx so far, but ive only had them a month so i guess time will tell...

Im back on to onza vps, they get a lot less damaged now than what i remember. Probably down to not being so harsh. But the grip on them is decent and cant fault them really. If they bend they bend.. can still use them, just the same as a pin getting ripped out and for £12 cant go wrong

It seems to me that the atomlab pedals are just not up to the job - I've had similar experiences to you Nick.

I'm pleased with my DX's so far, just they need longer pins than standard. (Even though I've already put the "longer" pins in. So I would reccomend those aswell.

Never been pleased with the durability V8's, nor do I like the shape and size of them, which rules out the V12's obviously too.

I'd go with DX's or the B38's. :)

i cant stand V8's or V12's either!

theyre just uncomfortable and hurt my feet.

the fixed pins in the V8's always die on me, and V12's are just a nasty small shape.

once ive got some cash ill look into some nicer pedals, but for now, i think ill be running VPs!

the new animal bikes steven hamilton pedals look really good! I might give them a go next :) - £30 for the unsealed version too

check them out

Get unsealed. The sealed versions are properly turd. I spent £53 on a pair of them, and I'm gonna spend another £30 getting the ones I should've got in the first place - unsealed... The bearings come loose straight away, and the nut actually stripped, then the end-cap allen hole rounded. Go team...

hey guys.

im having some lame pedals problems lately.

ive used atomlab aircorp pedals for the last 3 years, and dont really like the idea of using anything else. but they just dont seem to hold up to my abuse!

i had two sets of the older style atomlabs, and they were awesome in most respects, although the bushings didnt last long AT ALL, and within a month or so, they were super wobbly and thats pretty shit. i also found that when the got older the threads holding the stud in began to die.

when i got my insurance money from the stolen ashton, i splashed out on an expensive set of 06 aircorps, the super thin ones.

bad idea.

as with all the other atomlabs ive had the bushings went wobbly in a few weeks, although this time i bodged them by fitting an RB lever seal O-ring in place of the standard spring washer, and this made them feel nice and tight again.

on wednesday riding in town my right pedal came off the axle!

it turns out the Spring E clip holding them onto the axle had shattered, and the pedal just flew off!

on inspecting the pedal, the body is deformed where the axle enters, and a hairline crack has appeared running along the line of the axle :(

all round gayness.

anyway: point of this thread

does anyone else have problems with expensive pedals? as im seriously considering going back to VP's at £12 a set, as at least when i kill them its cheap to replace...

anyone else gone back to super cheapy pedals? was it a good move?

Nick :D

V12 mag ti's

best pedals money can buy

replaceable bearings and bushings

lightest pedals money can buy

cant go wrong

sorry to hear about your atomlab pedals!

christophe

Guseset slimjims, Ive had mine 7 months and the bearings + bushings are still perfect, and they come with loads of spare pins.

I really didnt like my Vps, horrible foot placement and just generally uncomfortable grip.

Being a basher nick has also killed a set of slimjims in something like 2 weeks :o

I have also had slimjims for a long time, since near last christmas, and they are still fine (Y)

Adam

yeh but nicks a fat gay.

may aswell get vps then.... can you not replace the bushings on the atomlabs?

i could do, but the pedal body is cracked down the line of the axle, so after a few large dropgaps the pedal body will just snap off....

the Slim jims i had lasted 3 short rides, before i failled a tap and caught the leading edge pins on the underside and ripped out the bridge between the two pins. so they were dead.

and chris, v12 mag ti's are about THE worst pedal for me ever.....

i BASH pedals a lot, the studs would snap out of the mag bodies in no time, and i find v12's generally uncomfortable!

i want something like the older atomlabs but with bearings that will last.....

im currently borrowing a set of year old vps which are SHATTERED, yet the bearings still run fine.....

sealed bearings seem to be wank.