Brakes Again? V-brakes Or Maggies!

JohnyMilton

well in the past couple of days theres been topics about brakes and the main one i was taking part in was''maggies or disks on the front end?'' ,ok and ther guy who posted the topic convinsted me to try maggies on the front and i did try maggies and i liked it, so now i ride with them. now i have had to go back to vbrakes on the rear, due to the fact my maggie burst. and i have to ask why do people use maggies cause vbrakes are just as good and cheaper!!!

this is a pointless topic!! lol

Johny

I think i've slowly come round to the fact that v's can be as good as maguras.

I personaly have had no real bother with maguras, and lots of problems with v's, hence why i'm a maggie man.

I don't think there's any need for this whole constant arguing though. What really anoys me is when someones asks "my maguras leaking, help" and someone comes in and says "get a v" or something to that effect. Fair enough joking about it every now and again, but some people do want to make sure everyone knows they like v's over maguras.

I do get this feeling though that some people are riding v's and steel frames just to be 'old school and cool'. I'm sure that'll piss a few people off me saying that, but this threds gonna turn very ugly very quickly anyway so... :closedeyes:

If you know how to fix your magura properly it wont leak. I've had mine for lke 3 years now. Re-bled once becuase i wanted to try water, not a problem, if a hardcore v user out there has had the experience i've had with maguras, they'd be using maguras. It's mainly down to luck i think.

Edited by JT!

I was a maggie fan and the thought of running a vee was silly, but I tried Adam Reads rear vee on one of his bikes and I was blown away, it was the best brake I have ever felt!! I tried it on my bike last year, but it didnt work out (partly due to using an overwide rim for my frame/brake setup).

for some reason I decided to try a vee again at the begining of summer, it was the best desicion I have made brake wise! I dont get arm pump and it allowed me to get better comp presults (3rd in the worlds and 3rd in uk), I doubt I would have done so well with a maggie.

Maggies are all well and good though, theres no doubt they work, but a vee has lots more positives, more adjustable, easier to pull, more powerful (especially backwards!!), can get spairs just about anywhere and so on and so on.

you lie! stop lieing you lier!! Why would you lie that that?

maggies are good, but no matter that people say vees REALLY do kick ass at sheer holding power

Depends what V it is though. ;)

Something like what you get on some Apollo is no comparison to a Magura.

But a well set up, Avid Ultimate will probably piss all over a Magura...

I say their about the same, with the right pads and setup. :)

I have to say i have also been running a rear vee at the moment, and i have to say i have realy been blown away, it is such a good rear brake, it feels much better than my magura ever did, has as much power, if not more and like ali said, much easier to setup and adjust (Y)

Adam

PS: Joypads ***

I have to say i have also been running a rear vee at the moment, and i have to say i have realy been blown away, it is such a good rear brake, it feels much better than my magura ever did, has as much power, if not more and like ali said, much easier to setup and adjust (Y)

Adam

PS: Joypads ***

Yes,Adams brake is a bit of a beast.

max...

It's clear why opinions are so polarised one way or the other. Some people loving Maggies and others loving Vees, but not many people liking both!

It's got to be because it takes time to learn how to set up each system to get the best out of it for trials use. What parts work? How to set them up well? This experience is hard won and once we've got the set-up that it top notch, the thought of having to go through the learning curve again afresh, and having dodgy braking for a while is daunting not to say seemingly impossible!

Definately both systems work great for trials with the set-up experience and decent parts. Here in the UK, Magura systems are quite plentiful on the 2nd hand market so equipping your bike with them for little money is easy. As a result the majority of use Maggies, which definately tick all the boxes in perception as a trials specific product. One thing I've realised is just how different other scenes are around the world where Maguras aren't available so cheaply. Vees are hugely popular in Japan, Australia and the US/Canada.

My next bike is going to be set-up 100% Vee so I can perfect my set-up skills (Y)

Steve

you lie! stop lieing you lier!! Why would you lie that that?

maggies are good, but no matter that people say vees REALLY do kick ass at sheer holding power

i totally agree mate. i was going to upgrade to maggies until i got a decent set of pads on my vees!!! my vees are amazing and personally i think are better than maggies. ^_^

a reason why alot more people use maggies is that theres is alot more after market pads to choose from, not nescessarily better than the few v-pads used for trials but you get a lot more of a range to choose from. imo both brake set ups are as good as each other when set up properly with a good set of pads and argueable a grind. also alot of bike companies but maggies on there bikes as a selling point over vee's and this makes alot of people think instantly that vee's arn't as good. just my thoughts (Y)

cheers hudson

good Vees with good lever - doesn't cheaper than magura.

but as Felix Mucke said:"no oil - no problem"

both brakes do its job when it adjusted right.

vees - excelent working with lever like avid ultimate or xtr with good cable, with good pads,

magura - excelent working with Royal Blood, grind, pads

it's just your choise - magura or vee.

Isn't it?

correct me if wrong.

good Vees with good lever - doesn't cheaper than magura.

but as Felix Mucke said:"no oil - no problem"

both brakes do its job when it adjusted right.

vees - excelent working with lever like avid ultimate or xtr with good cable, with good pads,

magura - excelent working with Royal Blood, grind, pads

it's just your choise - magura or vee.

Isn't it?

correct me if wrong.

Not neccisarily, i am currently running an SD7 lever, Dewhore arms (yes dewhore!), odyssey linear slick cable and ali c's joy pads, not an overly expensive setup and it is AWSOME, although once i get some money i will be getting some ultimate arms off a mate :P

Adam