Games To Play Before You Die

anzo

If you're really into all of this gaming, then here are some games to play before death:

Metal Gear Solid (including the sequels) = MGS1 had some of the most amazing gameplay on the Ps1, apparantly also had the best graphics :/. It truly was innovative and was the start of some great sequels, with a running stroyline throughout that gives a cinematic feel to the game, especially if you have played since Metal Gear through to MGS3, it really would be a continuous film and with the way that the games have been released, it is a gripping stroyline with many twist and realisations of why this happened in thsi game. if you're not into the storyline, then play MGS3 at least as it is among one of the best games I have played on the PS2.

Splinter Cell Series (especially the later of the series): Just beautiful games, you can go through the entire games without firing a shot, or without even killing/knocking anyone out. or, you could go rambo and shoot and blow up everyone with an array of different gadgets.

The hitman series: Read above then add to that the multiple ways you can complete your objectives, for example, in Hitman Contracts, there are at least 3 ways o get into the hotel room where your target is, each with varying degrees of stealth, ranging from assain to mass murderer.

Is that enough explaination Spacemunkee? :P

Disclaimer: Cannot be held responsible for bs in post, I have olny been up for a few hours and feel like it's 6 o'clock,,,not 9:30

Edited by ManxTrialSpaz

I used to be big into MS Flight sim, only have 2004 at the moment but will get X if I ever get a decent pc.

My dad bought the proper yoke/ rudder pedals (£200!) and it is pretty realistic, my local flying school has the same setup and they use it as a training aid.

Anzo, what's FS X like for helicopters? They are terrible in 2004, fly nothing like the real thing and have loads of bugs.

Oh, and no one should die without playing Commander Keen, that game rocks... B)

Battlefield 2. After playing it online for just over 900 hours I can safely say it's the best online FPS I've played. Like Spacemunkee (i think) said about having good and bad games, You really never get bored. Because they have a stats tracking system where you earn points towards ranks, badges, ribbons, medals etc you always have something to play for.

Graphics are great, plenty of weapons you can unlock. It's just a really great game :D

Single player sucks though :P

erm

quake3

the benchmark by which all multiplayer FPS games should be rated.

It wasn't the first deathmatch game but in my (thoroughly educated in this field) opinion it's the finest example in the genre and to be honest I don't think it'll ever be beat. Plenty of games are prettier, and most games are more sophisticated but the beauty of quake3 is in it's combination of simplicity, flow and sillyness.

If you haven't played it, do so. it's probably more important than halflife

I'd agree for multiplayer, but the Half-Life story is definately better, it's like a book, except interactive. I remeber beging my parents to let me have it, I told them it was racing game. :P I was too scared to finish it though, got about 1/4 of the way through. I love it now.

Cannae wait 'till Black Mesa: Source comes out. :D

Final Fantasy 7 without a doubt is the best game i have ever played. It's like playing through a book. Really in-depth storyline, great characters and each to have thier own in-depth historys. Sure the graphics weren't brilliant but more than made up for it because of how clever everything in the game falls together at the end. It also has great mini-games too. I've never spent so long playing a game before. Never got bored.

Jay :sleeping:

Anzo, what's FS X like for helicopters? They are terrible in 2004, fly nothing like the real thing and have loads of bugs.

Ermm, well, never flown a 'real thing' so I can't really compare, but its frecking hard as hell. No bugs that I've found as of yet. According to a few at flightsim, the physics of a helicopter are as close as they could get.

To be fair though, its a very difficult game to write compared to 'real life physics'...I mean, think of it as trying to give every single little bit of physic law a reaction...and then to be cancelled out with another, and another, and another.

So for that point I think they've gone exceedingly well...the helicopters are by no means easy to fly...but then again, is a real helicopter? I'm quite happy the helicopter is difficult, gives me something new to learn :D

you lot are all thinking way too modern. you dont know you're born!

goldeneye

street fighter

double dragon

flimbos quest

dizzy

quake 1

worms

day of the tentacle (DEFFO)

pro evo 5

doom 2

mario bros 1 on gameboy

alex kid

sonic

non computer related:

chess

hide and seek

man hunt

ring of fire / waterfall drinking game

these would be my choices :)

Edited by the boon

The 'How many Pringles can you fit in your mouth' game.

Current school record is 16 I think...

Basicaly, you get a tube of Pringles, and pile up however many, then try to eat them all at once.

Game ends when you either;

Get Pringle poisoning.

Choke.

Run out of Pringles.

Break your jaw.

^_^

Im suprised no one has mentioned Elite or Elite 2 yet

so I will...top games that are so simple yet so entertaining, kept me going for hours

elite definitely deserves a mention - it's a seminal masterpiece that changed the face of gaming

i didnt mention them for these reasons.

1: you can't play elite on any current hardware

2: elite 2 was crap

reason 1 is also why i didn't mention xenon2, speedball2, treasure island dizzy

reason 2 is why i didn't mention double dragon (they got it on an arcade machine at the my local recently and its awful)

Edited by poopipe

elite definitely deserves a mention - it's a seminal masterpiece that changed the face of gaming

i didnt mention them for these reasons.

1: you can't play elite on any current hardware

2: elite 2 was crap

reason 1 is also why i didn't mention xenon2, speedball2, treasure island dizzy

reason 2 is why i didn't mention double dragon (they got it on an arcade machine at the my local recently and its awful)

if you run a google search on Oolite you can download a version of the game that will work on new PC's using OpenGL. Its pretty much the same as the original only now you can download extras from the website and implement them into the game.

Its had me hooked for months!

if you run a google search on Oolite you can download a version of the game that will work on new PC's using OpenGL. Its pretty much the same as the original only now you can download extras from the website and implement them into the game.

Its had me hooked for months!

ooo. ill investigate

on the lucasarts tip...

Grim Fandango.

All the fun of monkey island but set in the land of the dead to a art deco backdrop and a swinging soundtrack. You couldn't say it was better than the monkey island games but it's got a real spark of originality that sort of faded from monkey island as the saga continued.

So for that point I think they've gone exceedingly well...the helicopters are by no means easy to fly...but then again, is a real helicopter? I'm quite happy the helicopter is difficult, gives me something new to learn :D

Real helicopters are extremely difficult to fly.

On a scale of 1 to Really, im going for REAAAAALLY

Edited by Has anyone seen my shoe?

Real helicopters are extremely difficult to fly.

On a scale of 1 to Really, im going for REAAAAALLY

Indeedy, I just managed to fly a helicopter from Birmingham to Manchester airport, take off, fly and land with no problems...which I was happy with :D But its so so so so so sensitive...and it tends to be once you do one tiny thing wrong, you've f**ked it.