Cracked Avid Bb7

laurent

I just bought a bb7 brake. It's a very amazing brake. The greatest i never had.

But doing search on the forum, i read that bb7 caliper often snap...so now i'm a bit worried.

Is there really a problem of weakness on bb7 caliper? How many time can i hope to use my bb7?

where the caliper break? what part? anyone have pictures of broken bb7.

Edited by laurent

I think Michael Singleton on here snapped a few. I don't think it is super common that they snap, only heard of Mike snapping his...

I've never snapped my bb7, and have had it for a few years now.. They're very popular, and for a good reason, they're very good!

they are no more likely to snap than any other disk caliper really if you hit any in the right place it will brake somehow, they are the best disk i have ever used, also they are cheap easy to maintain etc also if they were that flimsy they would not be the most popular front disk, and a few people have ran them on the rear as well like rich pearson etc.............

they are great

as ali said, being cast, the callipers arnt as strong as the likes of hope or others.

a long time of hard gaps to front wheel using a large rotor WILL snap the calliper eventually...... if not, the iso-post mount may well snap, ive seen both go.

i know bigman has snapped a few, and SteveS did one on a front wheel gap a while back....

personally, ive not snapped one yet, although with the increase in popularity of front wheel gaps, i expect to see many more giving up soon.....

they do tend to crack after a while but it takes a pretty long time usualy my mate had a 3rd hand, was 2 years old when it cracked. Can be shadily bodged in the short term by sandwidging the crack with 2 plates. pretty ghetto but did work (was on his back brake nd everythin)

dont go easy on it! ride to your full potential, as hard as you can, dont be afraid to use your front brake.....

i wouldnt think it would be too harsh when it snapped, as its only usually one leg that goes, so there will just be a very loud bang, you will jump off, and the calliper wil be snapped!

ride away, depending on your weight, it may never go!

remember, everything in trials WILL break

dont go easy on it! ride to your full potential, as hard as you can, dont be afraid to use your front brake.....

i wouldnt think it would be too harsh when it snapped, as its only usually one leg that goes, so there will just be a very loud bang, you will jump off, and the calliper wil be snapped!

ride away, depending on your weight, it may never go!

remember, everything in trials WILL break

^^^ seconded

reading all your answers, that is what i can understand:

my bb7 will crack, but it can be in 2 month as in two years...

so i'll try to go easy on.

Ah, do you own a magura? Because if you do, do you go easy on it? Crossovers snap alot more than the calipers of a BB7. Trust me i highly doubt you will break it.

Ah, do you own a magura? Because if you do, do you go easy on it? Crossovers snap alot more than the calipers of a BB7. Trust me i highly doubt you will break it.

Yes i use magura hs33 for several years......and i never snap any crossovers!

so if bb7 caliper crack less than crossovers, it will be fantastic.

But reading the previous posts, especially alic's post, i doubt of it.

anyway, i'll use it in normal condition and i'll see if it will break. :)

Yes i use magura hs33 for several years......and i never snap any crossovers!

so if bb7 caliper crack less than crossovers, it will be fantastic.

But reading the previous posts, especially alic's post, i doubt of it.

anyway, i'll use it in normal condition and i'll see if it will break. :)

Joking? your the first person I have heard who hasn't popped a crossover...