Tensioner Help

manuel

Basically - ive just got a 74Kingz tensioner as i want to go singlespeed for a while to get stuff to the right done without busting hangars left right and centre.

Ive also just got a new KMC (8 speed i think) a new burns 22 tooth ring up front, and a new (well one ride but basically brand spanking) surly 18t cog for the rear.

Chainline is now pretty darn good.

My problem is - Ive got pretty good tension in my chain - abit more than with the mech. The chain keeps riding up on the surly cog at the back and then skipping (happens when I put the power down on half and full rotations). From the photos Ive realised that wrap is a problem for my setup - as in not much ... but if i really really crank the tensioner up it goes away for a while - but basically this is bending the tensioner at the bolt on part (not good) and is not a realistic tension. this confuses me as i would have thought if it was wrap then more tension would surely make it worse....

I cannot take out any links in the chain as then it will be too short.

could it be a wearing in phase for the surly and chain ? seems unlikely to me but meh ?

if its wrap what are my options ? a halflink ? if so where from ? to fit my kmc ? and am i going to die using one ?

basically i need some answers as i cant really ride at the mo and it hurts... sidehops only is very boring ....

med_gallery_3202_1560_21659.jpg

med_gallery_3202_1560_15360.jpg

Pictures are wank but they kinda work ?

so the surly cog isnt new rowan????

that will be why if it isnt.

no it basically is new ... no wear in the slightest - and no marks scuffs etc ...

get a rohloff

useful, and no.

it will be the surley cog dude, iknow a few people that have had probs with them - skipping and such

so what do you reckon - let it wear in - will that help ? hmm...

ye sounds exactly the same as what i had, i put a surly cog on, used it for a day or so, changed chain and it skipped and it WAS the surly cog, mine was allright after a while, bedded in. i rode it around normally really pushing the chain into the cog... *riding with my front brake on* and it sorted its self out. they are only forged anyways arent they?

I'm not familiar with Kingz tensioners but what you say about angle of wrap is true. The more the better. If it can be adjusted so it sits up close the the chain stay and possibly remove a link I think it might help. Is it an alignment issue? Can you space the surly across in the direction the chain wants to ride up?

edit to above... no links removeable possible ^^^^^^^

and the chain just slips on top of the cog ... not left or right... chainline is pretty much bang on.

to porter ..

dunno - ill give it a go ...

loving the fact my bike is now less than 24 lbs for the first time ever ....

and safety sidehops is really good fun ...

Edited by manuel

I've come across some Surly cogs, the problem is that they have very deep teeth. You need a beefy chain which is higher for it to work properly. Get the wider KMC chain or a KHE.

Wrap the chain around the cog and see if you can "squeeze" it into the teeth so it's hard to pull out of the cog. If so, you need a wider (and higher) chain.

Hope you get what I mean.

Sorry to clog this thread up, But with these tensioners can you land on them and they won't get damaged as I'm a left footed rider and sidehop to the right, I after use a Fresh Products tensioner but everytime you land on it you have to adjust it all the time and gets anoying, just wondering really if you can?

Sorry to clog this thread up, But with these tensioners can you land on them and they won't get damaged as I'm a left footed rider and sidehop to the right, I after use a Fresh Products tensioner but everytime you land on it you have to adjust it all the time and gets anoying, just wondering really if you can?

It will bend the spring steel, leaving you with no tension. But you can bend it back.

could it be a wearing in phase for the surly and chain ? seems unlikely to me but meh ?

I've seen that in the past. Try flipping the sprocket over, and if that doesn't work try an older chain for reference. I may be that your new chain needs to stretch a little bit before it meshes correctly with the rear sprocket. Once this has happened you may be able to get another link out of the chain too... :)

Ads

It will bend the spring steel, leaving you with no tension. But you can bend it back.

Thats not very good surely, mmy home made one has been hit loads and still has just as much spring in it as before and i have never had to bend it back, if that is what happens i can see why they have not fitted a wrap around chain guide, i fitted one to mine so that if i hit it the chain will stay on the sprocket so that when it springs back it catchs the chain straight away.

Back on topic.

I think it could be the new chain Rowan, when i had a 17t gussest cog on my bike i tried to put a new chain on and it realy didn't like it, same problems as you are having, put an old chain on and it worked straight away. As adam says i think the new chain needs to stretch out a little, Wack it on the postie bike and rag it for a day :P

Adam

UPDATE......

Wrap is most definately a problem .... as with abit of bodging ... i did this ....

med_gallery_3202_1560_6055.jpg

med_gallery_3202_1560_58689.jpg

with the kingz upsidedown and slider on backwards ... I get decent tension AND the chain does not skip.

however this is far from ideal as now If I miss badly on a sidehop I could (v unlikely though) land on the unsprung part of the tensioner = bad.

and worst of all the chain is super close to the chainstay in the middle .... and with the protector on it rubs - which i cant think will be a good thing after alot of riding - Im thinking accellerated wear....

med_gallery_3202_1560_2882.jpg

so If you think it will wear in - i may try the kings on properly in a week or so and see what happens - but the amount of wrap im getting is still bad.

oh and im about 2-3 mm short on the chain - not sure how much it will stretch .... though - I dont know the total length at the mo - but .75% is a worn chain but 3mm stretch as .75% of total length is around 120 cm ? could have done that wrong as since ive been a postman my brain has not functioned once.

anyway - any recomendations ?