Dual Disc?

Ash-Kennard

can someone please explain to me why people are cumming over dual disc mods all of a sudden. The only advantage i can see is for competition riding where a magura may not hold, but probably would with a grind. surely it is an inconvenience if anything as it is just something else to break/hit/contaminate.

please do elaborate

EDIT: i have a front disc, a 203 bb7 as i f**king love to power on the front.

Edited by ash-kennard

Ive made the switch to DD recently and I wish I'd done it a while ago. They are easier to get power out of than a magura. Plus you don't have to worry about regrinding your rim every month just so you dont die.

Also pad life is longer, and you don't have to worry about cross threading you mounts as much cos its a bit harder to cross thread on a disc mount :P

Anyway if you dont see the point in discs why run one yourself? perhaps you're not getting the full power and modulation out of it possible.....

Disks on a mod are natually significantly more powerful than on a stock due to the smaller wheel size. The small wheel also means less twist in the wheel, and pad knock in the brake caliper is much less noticable.

Put all that together and it means the brake feels firmer, less sketchy and hold much better that it would on a stock. I have ridden dual disk stock, and i did like it, but it would be enough for me now- i do like my maggie. I have also ridden dual disk mods, and they feel lovely. I can definately see the temptation.

Rode dual disc for about a year and not once did I hit the rotor when riding urban (sidehopped to the left as well).

After a few days or riding rocks my rotor got badly dented but that was a shitty Hope one made of cheese. It was also 180mm as opposed to 160 which are commonly used in mods, so I guess it got in the way easier.

Benefits? It's quiet so it doesn't piss people off (seriously, you rarely get kicked out of "private" riding spots because people can't hear you), it's way stronger than a Magura, doesn't need any attention at all. No grinding, no rim cleaning and better performance in the wet than in the dry. It also makes the riding neater in my opinion. Throughout the 1 year I used a rear disc, it slipped twice and only on rocks which were as coarse as sand paper meaning incredibly good tyre grip.

I think dual disc stocks are a bit pointless because at a guess the brake is much weaker than a well set up magura. Nevertheless I'm going to risk going dual disc on a stock, might be fun.

I think dual disc stocks are a bit pointless because at a guess the brake is much weaker than a well set up magura.

A bit of quick maths shows what size rotor you need on a stock for it to be as powerful as a 160 on a mod... I think its about 205. The 200mm Mono Trial I ran on my Simtra was easily up to the job!

I'm not going to get into the 'disc debate' in too much detail, except to say I never have to touch my bike before riding it any more, and it never lets me down (when I wouldn't expect it to - obviously hitting the face of a wall when not making an up to back wheel doesn't count!).

That's the important bit with discs, once theyre set up properly and used with a bit of common sense, they work perfectly. I can't ride all the time, infact I get some very short gaps at all times of the day and night where I feel well enough to ride. Jumping straight on the bike knowing it wont need grinds or worrying about the wet is perfect for me :)

The main advantages over magura's for me are;

- Being able to ride in the wet (even better than in the dry)

- Buckle in rear wheel won't affect brake performance

- Easier to maintain

- No annoying squeek

thats all i can think of now, the only real disadvantage for me is pad contamination

1- I can't stand the squeakyness of maguras

2- Vaster choice of rim (I'm on 24"s)

3- Easy maintenance, just clean the rotor once every week or two and change the pads when you see sparks coming out of your caliper

4- Rides well in wet conditions

5- Easier to set up and parts are widely available (well I'm in Canada where there are tons of bike shops and I used to freeride, so I know how to set up disks)

6- Modulation...

Definitely not! Even if the brake would hold, the wheel would fold in due course

edit: well maybe a bb7 on a 203mm rotor, those brakes are stupidly powerful, but you'd have problems with wheels.

after all a disc brake transfers the braking force through the spokes, a rim brake doesn't which puts much less stress on the wheel

Edited by Inur

Definitely not! Even if the brake would hold, the wheel would fold in due course

edit: well maybe a bb7 on a 203mm rotor, those brakes are stupidly powerful, but you'd have problems with wheels.

after all a disc brake transfers the braking force through the spokes, a rim brake doesn't which puts much less stress on the wheel

Well rim brakes put stress on the spokes when you're putting pressure on your pedals but stopped. For example, everytime you land a hop or when sidehopping... Thing I'm not sure of is : Is the force put on the spokes when landing something with rim brakes proportional to how high it was... But yes, disk probably do put a little more stress on the spokes.

But for massive drop gaps, you'd be better with rim brakes, in my opinion, the usual massive dropper isn't the kind of rider who can get alot of advantages from a disk brake. Who does massive drops when it's wet ? You don't really need modulation...

i like the idea of a disk, wouldn't mind one (but theres something about the current adaptors i don't like) any chance of monty bringing out a long mod :rolleyes: ? theres something really pimp about them to (Y) (imagine an all black bike minus the rotors in silver :wub: ) out of interest how long do frames last with disk mount stress?

my bb7 203 is a beast on the front, but there is no way that i would trust on the back end of the bike. it holds wonderfully for front wheel moves but i just dont think it would be so succesful on the rear. i dont really like the feel of rear discs either to be honest, even on a mod where they are supposedly good.

my bb7 203 is a beast on the front, but there is no way that i would trust on the back end of the bike. it holds wonderfully for front wheel moves but i just dont think it would be so succesful on the rear.

Why? Surely if it locks on the front, it'll lock on the back?

Have you ever ridden a DD bike? Most people who jump on my bike are pretty impressed and how damn good the rear brake is.

When i rode a rear disk monty i hated it , as it felt too responsive , you couldnt like lightley let go of the back brake as it would still stop you.And it slowed you down abit

as the wheel would never spin without the disc rubbing on the pads

When i rode a rear disk monty i hated it , as it felt too responsive , you couldnt like lightley let go of the back brake as it would still stop you.And it slowed you down abit

as the wheel would never spin without the disc rubbing on the pads

Well that sounds like it wasn't correctly set up.

i like the idea of a disk, wouldn't mind one (but theres something about the current adaptors i don't like) any chance of monty bringing out a long mod :rolleyes: ? theres something really pimp about them to (Y) (imagine an all black bike minus the rotors in silver :wub: ) out of interest how long do frames last with disk mount stress?

Dani Comas his frame is longer than the other monty's, but no one knows if it will ever come on the market or if it's just for dani.

Not sure how long the frames last

Dani Comas his frame is longer than the other monty's, but no one knows if it will ever come on the market or if it's just for dani.

Not sure how long the frames last

yeah but thats a stock isn't it?, and i'm just not man enough for one of those :( spose i could get an iolo at some point :rolleyes: .