"flow", Riding Ability And Stuff!

D a n n y. . .

I have recently been watching some beginner rider’s videos and then comparing how they ride to the likes of TRA, Damon or really anyone who can ride to a high level.

The main thing I noticed is the movement of the rider’s body. When riders first start riding trials they seem to be very tense and seem to find it hard to do Tricks competently and successfully. However, with a more experienced rider the body has a lot more flow to it and the rider seems to be much more Relaxed on the bike... which ultimately ends up in smoother and bigger riding. I figured this would be down to the fact that the riders are not familiar with the moves and the riders body has not go the required muscle structure for a competent riding ability but I wondered if it was anything to do with what riders Mind. When riders first start out they are not sure of what they're able to do and will be scared about trying things, I guess this shows in their riding ... helping them look more tense and rigid. But after a while the confidence grows and the rider seems to be able to ride more confidently, resulting in a more relaxed posture and movement!

What I was wondering is exactly how this change from rigid to relaxed happens and is there a way to understand why it happens, so that people could improve their riding ability easier. I think that it would help a lot of new riders improve if they all knew for what helps you improve to becoming a better rider.

And if there’s anything else that I might not have thought of then let us know... it could help a lot of people in Making the Change from a Rigid Rider to a Relaxed Rider. :smartass:

its practice n experience.....the more they try the same trick the more they know how 2 do it, n the more there body automatically does it without needin to think......wen i pedal hop or do any trick i never have the thort of my finger releasein the lever it dus it 4 me, all through lotsa practice.

nout to do with confidence

I reckon the reason they are so "tense" is that they arn't concentrating on the move they are trying to achieve, but on how hard they are kicking or how many fingers they are using on the brake.

But as they become a lot more confident they begin to forget about braking and kicking, it just comes naturally. This enables them to concentrate on going bigger.

I reckon this post probably could help new riders progress a lot quicker (Y)

I think its definetly to do with the minds of riders, since i've had more confidence on my bike i've just been more relaxed and able to go bigger. When i first started riding i lost confidense on even my first pause hops this caused me to press the brakes harder to make sure i dont fall on my back and just made me seem a hell of a lot more tense. Even now when there's a big drop or something which frightens me i get really tense and my style to get a lot worst and my riding to become really sketchy, But it's not really to do with confidence allthough it plays a part in it because as i've had more experience on my bike and concentrating less on how hard i have to kick i've just been riding smoother. With everything in life practise makes perfect.

People tend to progress alot quicker when surrounded by other riders. It's easier to learn something if it's done in front of you everyday. Also possitive vibes are passed on through people allowing them to progress faster as having more fun makes you learn quicker.

As for the movement thing, learning to sidehop for example, people have to concentrate too much on balance to begin with and where they should be. Once this has been mastered then they don't have to think about setup and can concentrate on the actual hop and then the tuck which then allows that rider to higher.

Thats why people tend to look rigid as they can't concentrate on doing several things at once. So they lack in the certain areas that there not familiar with if there is no concentration as their mind is trying to think about hopping/ kicking rather than balance so it goes sloppy.

I hope that makes sense to you all.

bumpp... :rolleyes:

You bump for sale topics, theres no need to bump a random topic. If you'd have used your time trying to get your head around how to use a search engine instead of trying to bump this topic then you'd have found this along with many other similar topics. Its not like your the first person ever to ask, i swear new members are getting more stupid :(.

EDIT: Sorry if it seems harsh, i'm already in a bad mood and seeing new members bumping topics just plain annoyed me, theres no need, if people wanted to write in it you wouldn't have to bump it.

Edited by Krisboats

You bump for sale topics, theres no need to bump a random topic. If you'd have used your time trying to get your head around how to use a search engine instead of trying to bump this topic then you'd have found this along with many other similar topics. Its not like your the first person ever to ask, i swear new members are getting more stupid :(.

EDIT: Sorry if it seems harsh, i'm already in a bad mood and seeing new members bumping topics just plain annoyed me, theres no need, if people wanted to write in it you wouldn't have to bump it.

oright sorry man learnt my lesson and I wont bump silly topics... and I people dp stuff wrong at some point and this is my time lol

I agree, you gain flow when you know exactly how to execute a move - your mind doesn't concentrate on which muscles to move, when to release the brake and how much to move your body. Personally I'm experiencing this lack of flow ever since I've tried to learn to sidehop to my bad side which is right. Although going to the left seems very relaxed, easy and controlled my body is all stiff when it comes to doing exactly the same move but to the opposite direction. I somehow can't bend as much and keep the brake on longer before launching upwards.

Nevertheless it's just a matter of practicing more, that's where flow comes from. I've seen lots of vids in which a rider did big stuff, had lots of accuracy but absolutely no flow and it turned out he was fairly new to trials.