A-levels?

Ryan.

Right i just wanted to know if anyone knows what i need to take for a-level to take architecture at uni...i've been on ucas and its like another language..i spoke to my college head and they think i might need art? i need to know before easter so can anyone help me?

ryan

have a mate who's just finished the first stage of his architecture degree. he did art, graphic design and psychology at A-level, towards his degree. psychology is pretty important, because architecture is all about making stuff pleasing to the human psyche, and guys i know doing architecture find it REALLY useful to have a grounding in this to understand good design. you'll do reports on the architecture of things other than buildings. on chap did a paper on 'the architecture of alfred hitchcock films' and got an A for it!

my mate did another module, though i can't remember what it was. you'll do a bit of maths at degree level, but not enough to justify doing maths A-level (i'm doing engineering degree, and you defo need it for that, but not architecture). so i'd look intoit further to sort your 4th module. the three above are of utmost importance though

Smithy

I was originally planning to go to uni to study architecture, but then got to half way through sixth form, and couldn't really be bothered with the 7 years at uni.

I took maths, physics, ICT and design technology.

They were all pretty good subjects, and al llinked pretty well together, especially maths and physics. But a-level maths is hard as fook, so unless you're really good at it, you'll probably struggle.

They were all pretty good subjects, and al llinked pretty well together, especially maths and physics. But a-level maths is hard as fook, so unless you're really good at it, you'll probably struggle.

maths isnt a problem (Y) does anyone know if you can take a subject the 2nd year of a-level so i could get an AS level in art because its too late to change my options :(

You can do an AS in your second year if you want, but that means a hell of a lot of work. I found doing 4 subjects at AS was pretty difficult, and really appreciated the drop down to 3 in my second year.

is art a must then??because otherwise i can't take it...

Graphic design and product design are pretty much exactly the same?

Other choices seem fairly decent though, although I personally would have done a science instead of graphic design. English will be quite a good course, many of my friends did it, and really enjoyed it. Did you take English language or literature?

Other choices seem fairly decent though, although I personally would have done a science instead of graphic design. English will be quite a good course, many of my friends did it, and really enjoyed it. Did you take English language or literature?

Literature....one of the reasons i took it was because we get to go to new york!! expect a new york ride video next year! :P

maths is a fanny, not so much hard, just really boring.

duh maths always has and will be !!!

Edited by Sheringham_trials

Entry requirements for BA(Hons) at Plymouth uni

"320 points. A level/AS level/Vocational A level: minimum of two 6-unit awards at grade C or equivalent or a double award. Equivalent qualifications may be considered. Also at least five GCSE passes, to include English at grade C or above and Maths."

I suggest you look on some other uni websites.

I plan to do Architecture this september, and I do Maths, Physics, Photography and Design Tech.

But seriously, Maths and Phyics are un-necessary, if they arn't your best subjects, then you'll do better to choose something you are better at. I struggled with maths, but I took it because I wasn't sure whether or not I wanted to do architecture or civil engineering at university. Maths and Physics are arguably the strongest composition of A-Levels, and will allways look good on any CV or job application.

Definately take an ART subject, most unis will look for this, and be prepared to build a portfolio of work to show them, if you get a uni interview, they will most likely ask for one. Specifically, Kingston University have asked for the following;

1. Your Portfolio should be A1, A2 or A3 size with a maximum of twelve sheets and may include a sketch book - any portfolio bigger than this will not be considered.

2. We will be looking at the work in your portfolio as evidence of your potential as a designer.

3. Your portfolio should demonstrate your creative skills and may include a range of media with sketches, collages life drawings, painting, photographs of models or photography all being valid.

4. We would particularly like tos ee one image, either photographuic or drawn exploring your interest in the urban landscape.

5. Carefully select and edit your portfolio to produce an exciting, creative and representative document, which informs us about your skills, interests and ambitions.

Which a pretty fair brief, but a defiante challenge to decide what you want to put in it, to sell yourself. But really, start talking to your art teacher as soon as you start As, they will know what it takes to produce a portfolio, as such can offer guidance.

I have 3 offers so far,

Plymouth, for 320 points.

Portsmouth, for 300 points,

and Kent, for 280 points.

P.S. George, Graphic Design and Product Design are very different. One is an art, the other is a Design Tech. One you get told to draw a page of scribbles, the other, you make something worthwhile. :rolleyes:

My sister left school with 3 not-so-great A-level results (can't remember the subjects, think it was D&T, Welsh and something?), went into NEWI through clearing to do an architect's technician course, got a job in her 2nd year working for a company, and then ended up just working for them full-time. Failed her final year but they kept her on, and it's only this year she's gone back to do it, having been transferred at her request to the company's offices in Cardiff, then being head-hunted by another company. She's now got a really successful career as an architect in charge of a lot of high-profile jobs, and that's all just from working ridiculously hard, putting the effort in, and dotting all the i's and crossing all the t's. It's the same as any design course - a lot of it is just opportunity, and being in the right place at the right time.

Read the prospectus? That will tell you exactly what they're looking for.

My impression is that (like people have said) you need something arty to show you're creative and something sciencey to show you can do the calculations etc.

I done Product design and Geography at A level

Then 2 years working in an Architects practice

Then went to Uni, they really only want basic maths (GCSE) and anything arty or technical eg D&T or Art.

My first year at Uni has been really Arty based, gets more technical towards the second and third years tough.

I thought about doing Architecture but did a work placement at a firm near me in year 11, and it was possibly the most boring thing I've ever had to do in my life. I really wasn't interested in it, I guess it didn't help me not liking drawing.

I do both in my Technology course, or did last year anyway, and although different there isn't that much difference. I agree with you. Oh and product design is shit, I got an E, however Graphic design I got 99% A :)

Go me haha.

Find out what my re-sit exam paper mark is in about, 25 minutes :o Argh!!!